< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Dick's taking guns off shelf?  (Read 3508 times)

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Dick's taking guns off shelf?
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 09:51:48 AM »
Excerpt from a New York Daily News article...   RE:  Brownell's sales..

"Gun owners have fired up “unprecedented” sales of assault weapon ammo in the days after the carnage at a Connecticut elementary school.

Brownells, the world’s largest supplier of firearms accessories, announced less than a week after the Dec. 14 tragedy that it had sold 3-1/2 years worth of magazines for the AR-15 assault rifle in just 72 hours."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ammo-supplier-sees-unprecedented-sale-ar-15-magazines-article-1.1226536#ixzz2Fz8JJUNU

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 09:41:33 PM »
Stopped in to sol's downtown this morning. Saw there were no AR-15's.  The guy there said they took them down and put them in back. I asked why and he didn't know. There were still plenty of AK's.

I stopped in Sols on 72nd and Maple last Friday and they had their AR inventory out loud and proud...and carrying $2,300 price tags Seriously, an Olympic Arms carbine was $2,300. Others were even higher. Right now, they are the only place in town I can find them. I wasn't even looking for 'em to buy, I have mine tucked away in the safe. I was actually looking for a High Point Carbine. I bought a rifle and a shotgun at Cabela's Friday afternoon and the High Points were still there, should have bought one then. I went this morning and I was too late.

On a side note, I did a little Ebay browsing today, and if you get really bored, check out how many AR mags are being sold...and how much people are paying for them.

After seeing the prices Sol's is trying to get for ARs (and yep, they are selling them at that price), I respect my local Cabela's store even more. They may be out of what I want at the moment, but at least they didn't jack prices up during all this.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 10:43:18 PM »
I am going to laugh when this blows over and all the hoarders and panickers lose thousands.

Obama is the #1 gun seller that has ever existed and I am now convinced he works for the gun companies.  After his elected term he will be the president of the NRA.

I have never seen a president with so much hype that incites fear and panic and never amounts to anything.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 10:49:29 PM »
Investments. They will not loose value and they may continue to gain value. I'm sure there is plenty of that going on.

CTD is a bunch of Dbags, but I do not believe they were "caving" when they suspended sales, after talking to a few FFLs. With such a high volume of recent sales and practically nothing in stock, they likely wanted to take a few minutes to sort out paperwork, as they have to answer to the top Dbags: the BATFE.

As stated above: Dicks never was a gun store.

Scheels and Cabelas are just out. Everyone is out. I had an offer of $400 for a stripped lower from someone with an FFL out in the sandhills. Demand has risen and supply has been expended, save for the market hoarders and extreme price gougers. I am sure that volume of production will increase, though probably not enough, and with significant lag time.

Stay frosty gents. No bill will be passed overnight. Hell, after the holidays the masses will likely have found something else to obsess about and any anti-gun bill will be ignored or suppressed, just as in previous years. Instead of spending money on panic buying, since there is nothing to buy, donate to the NRA, NFOA, SAF, GOA, etc.

I like this ^ guy.

I would sell a stripped lower for $400 RIGHT NOW- so if anyone needs a seriously last minute Christmas gift let me know......

That Brownell's article tells you about all you need to know. I am cautiously optimistic that no major FEDERAL restrictions will pass Congress. I can see Obungo limiting imports via Exec Order and the ATF getting creative in some regulations. I also fully expect certain states to pass draconian measures the most certainly will INFRINGE.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline HeavyW8

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 06:30:14 AM »
On a side note, I did a little Ebay browsing today, and if you get really bored, check out how many AR mags are being sold...and how much people are paying for them.

Don't have to go far to find this sort of thing happening.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/spo/3499722701.html

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 01:50:43 PM »
Woot! Cabela's got a .45 High Point in this morning! My credit card is holding it until I can get over there this evening :) Man, I love this store!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 11:03:04 PM »
Troy Industries issued this statement earlier today regarding the decision by big box store Dick’s Sporting Goods to abruptly suspend sales of Modern Sporting Rifles after the tragic shooting in Newtown, CT earlier this month.

Troy Defense (Troy), a division a Troy Industries, Inc., was deeply dismayed and shocked to hear through national media outlets that Dick’s Sporting Goods (DSG) made the decision to stop selling the Troy Carbine along with other modern sporting rifles. DSG did not contact or inform Troy of this decision prior to notifying the public. Nor was Troy informed by DSG that cancellation letters were being sent to customers, set to arrive on Christmas Eve (a day Troy was closed).

Troy has invested millions of dollars in its facility and operations to bring its first ever modern sporting rifle to the market under an exclusive contract with DSG. In selecting DSG as the sole distributor of the Troy Carbine, Troy relied on DSG’s high sales forecasts and sales potential prior to undertaking the significant financial and corporate commitment necessary to design, develop, manufacture and bring a new modern sporting rifle to the marketplace. Based on DSG’s press release, DSG’s anti-gun stance is clear – DSG will not continue modern sporting rifle sales and Troy will sadly not see its Carbine readily available — despite the outlay of millions of dollars by Troy and its commitment to support DSG in its distribution efforts.

Troy is currently researching other channels to ensure continuous and consistent distribution for its rifles. But please note, Troy’s pricing to DSG was based upon volume sales. It is unlikely that pricing to any other outlet in the future will support the pricing granted to DSG. Troy understands the anger of certain DSG customers whose purchases have been cancelled – you got a great price from DSG. However, Troy, itself, cannot come anywhere close to offering the Carbine at the price DSG was offering it. DSG devalued and diluted Troy’s brand when it offered for sale the Carbine at a steeply discounted price during Thanksgiving week. As a result of the sale price set by DSG, DSG oversold and overpromised its inventory. Nonetheless, the current ill-will could have been avoided had DSG not terminated modern sporting rifle sales, promptly canceled overpromised orders, and forthrightly communicated with Troy.

Troy is hopeful that it will soon identify a new distribution channel for its Carbine. We ask for your patience and support during this difficult and transitory time.

Best regards,

Stephen Troy
CEO & Founder
The Troy Group
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »
Woot! Cabela's got a .45 High Point in this morning! My credit card is holding it until I can get over there this evening :) Man, I love this store!

Think I was the one that sold it to you...

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »
I wondered if that was you :)  I ended up getting a delay on the check, but likely due to buying two other rifles there last Friday. I only get delayed when I make repetitive purchases within a few days. But, the delay cleared this morning and its in the back room all cleaned, lubed and ready to have a few rounds put through it!

Thanks again for your help. You guys do an awesome job out there!