< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Tom Casady on Gun Control  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
Re: Tom Casady on Gun Control
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »
I can see the logic behind it, as a responsible adult you are "supposed" to know better than to leave loaded unsecured firearms around.  It's a common sense thing. 

However it's not a law that I would vote for.  I too am of the mind that it is not the gun owner's fault if someone does something terrible after stealing their gun.   

Also I was pleasantly suprised at this post from Cassady as I fully expected a huge public cry for Gun-Ban post after I read the title.
N0ZXR

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 10:21:14 AM »
I don't think there should be a law that proscribes specific storage requirements. I just think that a gun owner shares in the liability for what happens if they were not reasonable in the steps they took to store the weapon. Liability for negligence is enough, but I'm not aware of any cases in Nebraska that are on-point.

Offline stutzcattle

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 10:43:03 AM »
I have a couple of safes and two young boys.  I leave a rifle leaning against the wall next to my bed at all times.  The only time it goes in the safe is if we're gonna be gone. 
I consider that rifle to be a major part of my home defense strategy.  I have a hard enough time getting my safe open in the daytime without some bad guy breaking in.  I'd never get it open in time to save my family.

I teach my boys responsibility and gun safety.  I'm not locking up my ability to kill bad people.  Asking the gov't to punish us with "responsible gun laws" is stupid and dangerous.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 07:59:19 PM »
In Lincoln, whose responsibility is it to report prohibited persons to NICS? If it's the LPD, someone needs to ask Casaday if his department is up to date on it. This is a major weakness in NICS and needs to be mentioned in any correspondence with elected officials.