< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Stoeger Coach Gun  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Rem870Exp

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Stoeger Coach Gun
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »
Hello my fellow gun lovers.  Iam in need of some advice, if anyone could help me I would appreciate it.  Iam looking for a self defense shotgun, would prefer a side by side, 12ga.  In my quest for the perfect fit I have stumbled upon Stoerers Coach Gun.  Does anyone know anything good or bad about this gun?  If you have any other recommendations I would appreciate it.  Thank you.

Offline Thanke

• Forum Member
Re: Stoeger Coach Gun
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are familiar with a Remington 870.  :D
I would personally go that route, but something is better than nothing.

Offline D1sclaimer

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:23:59 PM »
I had one with dual triggers and it kept having light primer strikers only in the right barrel.  If you google search for stoeger coach gun light primer strikes, it's actually a semi-common problem and always in the right barrel.

That was my HD gun until that started happening.  I sold it.  It's a shame because it was exactly what I wanted.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »
I've got a stoegy coach in 12ga, haven't shot it enough to note any light primer strikes.  I'll keep an eye out.

With low to moderate 00buck shells (9 pellet) it's workable.  As I've noted in another thread, with a 3" magnum 15 pellet high powered shell, you might hurt yourself more than the bad guy j/k.  Seriously though, thing kicks like a mule (no recoil pad, and its light...).

I'll note that the quality of the gun isn't outstanding... but it IS quite inexpensive.

With most coach guns, and with the stoegy, note that it auto-engages the safety every time you close the action... so you have to disengage it after every reload.  You hopefully won't need more than the 2 shots it offers, but it's something to consider.

The Rem 870, or a Mossy 500 are also both fine choices.  I've got a Mossy 500 persuader (pistol grip only, 18.5" or so) with a knox pistol grip only stock swapped in (recoil absoring).  I've got tiny doorways in my place so the maneuverability of PGO is handy.  Plus, a solid pump shotty is pretty hard to mess up during on an oh-**** situation... and you get 5-9 shots instead of 2.  As with any home defense gun, make sure to unload the magazine for a couple hours once every week or two to not abuse the magazine spring.

If you're in the Omaha area ... feel free to buy some 00buck shells and we can head to the bullet hole some weekend so you can try mine out.  I'll also provide two of the 15 pellet 3" magnums just for fun hehehe.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 09:00:47 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are familiar with a Remington 870.  :D
I would personally go that route, but something is better than nothing.

I agree, although only you can decide what fits you best. If you're looking for something with a short stock both Mossberg and Remington make youth models with short stocks.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »
Have you ever been to a SASS shoot and seen the abuse a Stoeger receives? Wow!. I own one. Of course I have only shot it a couple times as it is now at the brother's house getting smoothed and tuned for competition.  The "tactical" Home defense version is kinda BA in a non traditional kind of way.

(That all being said, there is still something to said about the simplicity, ruggedness, and customization available with both the Mossy 500 and Remmy 870.  Which is better? I can't tell ya, that's why I own one of each. ;) )
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:00:30 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 10:51:56 PM »
Cabela's ran a sale on Rem 870 20ga package a couple of years back. 
My son wanted a 20ga 870 to go with the 12ga 870 he had. 
The package had the full size 870 poly stock, 28" bbl with Rem chokes AND an 18.5 " IC bbl with rifle sights.  I already had a youth 20ga Rem 870 so I 'kept' the 18.5 bbl and hung it on the youth stock. Pulled the mag plug and here we go. 
That is one nice handling, short 20ga!  ;D

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:15:19 PM »
Mossy 500 and Remmy 870.  Which is better?

Both are excellent, both are inexpensive.  Who cares about better, both rock :).

That said, I do think the Remmy has slightly more aftermarket stuff than the Mossy.  As if it's needed hehehe.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D