< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New Shooter Report  (Read 2100 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
New Shooter Report
« on: December 22, 2012, 08:36:08 PM »
I took two new shooters, aged 7 and 8, to shoot for their first time ever today.

Their dad went, too, and shot his own handgun, that he had not shot in years.

We had a ball!

The boys learned, and can recite, The Four Rules (and even remembered them 4 hours after we had finished shooting!!!!).  They are my Best. Students. EVER!

The older boy took to my .22/45 like a duck to water, and by the end of the afternoon, was able to hit clay targets hanging on corn stalks at 15 yards.

The boys had an oportunity to shoot .22 (rifle and pistol), .38 (target loads out of a 6" barreld .357), .45ACP, .40&W, a downloaded 7mm-08, and full house loads out of a 91/30......

Breaking milk jugs full of water with hi-powered rifles makes little kids giggle ....just sayin'.....

Their dad took lots of pics ..... I only have the one of me, pickin' up the trash:

Whoever said bayonets are pointless never had to pick busted milk jug carcasses out of the mud.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:38:43 PM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
Re: New Shooter Report
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 08:48:48 PM »
Congrats.  Just today my wife and I bought our 6 year old kingergartener her own Ar-15 .22LR.  I know its not a real ar-15 but if a ban is in place they will be banned too so we decided to act now.  She picked amongst several and had her favorite.

She went with the mossberg plastic version only because she can hold it, the Colt one was way too heavy.

She will take her first shots tomorrow in the freezing cold!  We plan to go to the range early to beat the wind.

I know a lot of people arent fans of the .22LR ar-15 but they are great for kids!

She is very excited!

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:25:59 PM »
Bonus(es)-

-The kids' dad mentioned getting the boys a single shot .22 ..... and I happened to see that bass pro had a modernized version of one of ours that the boys were shooting (Savage Cub) on sale for $129 .... put a bug in his ear on that .... they may be gettin' an extra present this year!  I think I made 2 new shooters today!  Yay!

- The dad sez he is going to get himself a Carry Permit Class for Christmas!

I have pointed him here in the past for links to classes..... He asked me if Chris Zeeb's class was any good- I told him it was at the very least in the top two that I have taken  ;) .....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 04:24:29 PM »
How'd it go, skydve?

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 10:27:52 PM »
Went good today!  She put about 100 rnd down the range.  Her first shots, showed no fear and took out about 10 water jugs.  We only left as we ran out of targets!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:35:53 PM by skydve76 »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 11:04:04 AM »
That's the Good Stuff, Sky!