< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: A head's up if you are carrying in Omaha.....  (Read 6003 times)

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
Re: A head's up if you are carrying in Omaha.....
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »
Check out FarmerRick's new post re LB 430.....maybe that will take care of the whole thing!  ;D

For the time being, I think I'll save on the gas $ and the OPD application $ and put it towards some new sights for the Glock!  8)
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 08:51:56 AM »
lb430 should do the trick.......  but then again, that is what Nebraska gun owners thought about the Constitutional Amendment that enshrined the RTKABA in the very first Article of the State Constitution!  Either;

A) the Constitution means what it says, and everybody is bound by it.

OR

B) it's just a suggestion, or a guideline, and everybody is not bound by it.

.....you all might point this out to the Lawyers in Lincoln when you e-mail them on this.......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 12:05:35 PM »
Interesting discussion I had while at Ike's this morning....great day by the way for shakin' off some of the rust......at least for me :)....

After our introductions and me tellin' him about the fun-times of Rock Your Glock and how he ought to come out for it this year, he let me know that he goes to The Bullet in Omaha and how he's got a ccw and carries while he's traveling in Omaha for business.  He received his ccw training in Omaha.

So, I asked him what his experience had been like in registering his gun(s) with the OPD.  He wasn't aware of what I was talking about!  And yet he received his ccw training from someone in Omaha!  He appreciated finding out about it...and so that let me visit with him about LB430.

Wow!  This is a plug time for the ccw training class I took a couple years ago (CZ and Roger http://www.neccwtraining.com/), and they made sure we had info in our hands and our heads about the different cities' ordinances etc re carry.

Anyways....he was a nice guy....I've yet to run into anyone at Ike's who isn't a nice guy.  It just surprised me that he was not aware of the OPD stuff, yet he carries there, works there, and lives there.
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 02:19:22 PM »
Now I may be one of those dopes that cannot read and understand a law, but it is my understanding  under the NE CCW law that if any portion of the firearm is visible, be it the grip or whatever then the firearm is not concealed, this is contrary to what was posted on the Douglas County Sheriffs website posting..... I am so glad that I don't live in one of the progressive cities in Nebraska, Columbus is bad enough.. Maybe just maybe someday this will be all staightend out....

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 09:48:48 PM »
Now I may be one of those dopes that cannot read and understand a law, but it is my understanding  under the NE CCW law that if any portion of the firearm is visible, be it the grip or whatever then the firearm is not concealed, this is contrary to what was posted on the Douglas County Sheriffs website posting..... I am so glad that I don't live in one of the progressive cities in Nebraska, Columbus is bad enough.. Maybe just maybe someday this will be all staightend out....

Never-ever rely on getting a law defined by a Law Enforcement officer or agency. They can't keep all the laws straight. DCSO has incorrect info on their website, and they have been informed of it, but they have chosed to ignore requests to correct their info. I guess since they are mis-informing people, if someone is charged with a crime they can TRY to use that as a defense.....

Ask 3 Omaha Police Officers to explain the ccw law for you and I bet you get three different answers. The bigger the department, the worse this issue seems to get

Offline Rule#.308

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 10:55:10 PM »
Guys I do not want to start a war here but State Law trumps local law in all cases.  If Omaha bans carrying outside your home or office and at least up until lately they can.  However State Law clearly makes your vehicle an extension of your home and as long as your firearm is in your vehicle there is nothing they can do.  Should they try, by arresting you and confiscating your firearm, they are leaving themselves open for a serious high dollar law suit.  They know this and are hoping that you don't.  When I travel from Sarpy county into Omaha I simply leave my firearm in my vehicle.
Don't pick a fight with an old man.  If he's to old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Offline Rodney Moorhead

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 04:11:41 PM »
I would not due it.  The City has a lot deeper pocket books than most people and they can drag on a case forever. 
...Com on wanre niht scri?an sceadugenga

Offline rich17z

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 02:21:57 AM »
As it stands right now,if you are from out of Omaha,and you have the Nebraska CCW permit to leaglly carry a concealed handgun,you do not have to have it REGISTERED thru OPD.  You have different county plates,a drivers license that states you are from that city and,if you do not get stopped for anykind of violation[of course the cops can run your plates and it shows on the DMV records that you have a CCW permit and they will not and I repeat not stop you unless you are doing something wrong.]   Our police Chief and mayor has said and is honoring the ccw permits here in Nebraska and along with the other states that are honoring ours and with theirs.   So their is the answer I got from Marty Conboy.  You can use the ccw to bypass gun registration here in Omaha and you still[because of BATFE] still have to have the $5.00 buyers card.   So,you are all good to go. If you do not have a ccw permit,you will have to REGISTER your handgun still with OPD.  rich17z

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 05:29:38 AM »
As it stands right now,if you are from out of Omaha,and you have the Nebraska CCW permit to leaglly carry a concealed handgun,you do not have to have it REGISTERED thru OPD.  You have different county plates,a drivers license that states you are from that city and,if you do not get stopped for anykind of violation[of course the cops can run your plates and it shows on the DMV records that you have a CCW permit and they will not and I repeat not stop you unless you are doing something wrong.]   Our police Chief and mayor has said and is honoring the ccw permits here in Nebraska and along with the other states that are honoring ours and with theirs.   So their is the answer I got from Marty Conboy.  You can use the ccw to bypass gun registration here in Omaha and you still[because of BATFE] still have to have the $5.00 buyers card.   So,you are all good to go. If you do not have a ccw permit,you will have to REGISTER your handgun still with OPD.  rich17z

You don't "Have" to get the County sheriff purchase permit still if you are  a CHP holder, the FFL can just run a NICS check to complete the purchase and meet the Federal requirement. However some stores (ie. Scheels in Lincoln) have set their own policy now that they will not sell to you without a handgun purchase permit.

Getting the $5 purchase permit is still the easiest way to handle it

Offline rich17z

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 12:37:18 AM »
All of the gun stores in Omaha are doing it with the state card and ccw permit so,you do not have to register the gun. I have talked to Dan,the aid to State Senator Mark Christensen and he has a call from a friend of his that works for Senator Mike Johanns. And when I last talked to dan this past week,Senator Johanns is going to put a bug in BATFE to sign off on our state law that took effect July 14th 2010.  rich17z