< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Drudge Headline: "Senate to go for Handguns"  (Read 1611 times)

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Drudge Headline: "Senate to go for Handguns"
« on: December 27, 2012, 11:54:41 AM »
FEINSTEIN BILL WILL REQUIRE 'GRANDFATHERED WEAPONS BE REGISTERED'; CALLS FOR OWNERS TO BE FINGERPRINTED...

Read more at: http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Re: Drudge Headline: "Senate to go for Handguns"
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
Link to Congress - Just Enter Your Zip Code:

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Link to Senate - Just Enter Your State:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Also Please Join & Support a Pro 2nd Amendment Organization Like Gun Owners of America

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 12:42:15 PM »
I have two thoughts about this:

1.  Feinstein has gone off the deep end and overreached, which dooms this bill.
OR
2.  This bill deliberately went too far, with the intent of "compromising" for less gun control.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »

2.  This bill deliberately went too far, with the intent of "compromising" for less gun control.

This. Remember Victim Protection Act right here in Nebraska last year?

Offline stroked93

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 07:53:39 PM »
Death by 1000 cuts

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »
Remember it took 4 years to pass the last one, when:

1) ARs, "high cap" mags, etc were an oddity, not mainstream like now

2) Dems controlled both houses, with slick willy

3) The bill was used as a bargaining chip for troops in Haiti

4) Even with all that, it BARELY passed

That bill that was finally voted on looked nothing like the original. By the time this bill makes it out of committee, it will look nothing like this. Stay tuned folks, and write your reps.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »
By the time this bill makes it out of committee, it will look nothing like this.

This bill is a deliberate overreach so they can then "compromise" with "reasonable" restrictions.  We need to keep the pressure on, from now until it's dead, and even after that.  Everyone here needs to be calling, writing letters, sending emails, stopping by your rep's local office, whatever.  Keep their feet to the fire.

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 09:57:09 PM »
Remember it took 4 years to pass the last one, when:

1) ARs, "high cap" mags, etc were an oddity, not mainstream like now

2) Dems controlled both houses, with slick willy

3) The bill was used as a bargaining chip for troops in Haiti

4) Even with all that, it BARELY passed

That bill that was finally voted on looked nothing like the original. By the time this bill makes it out of committee, it will look nothing like this. Stay tuned folks, and write your reps.

This is encouraging.  I still have faith in our R controlled House, but not a lot of faith.
USN 91-97, USS Chandler DDG-996

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »
They are going to use this for bargaining power to let the republicans keep from taxing the rich so that we can only lose. Then, once Feinkenstein gets this passed, they will have to add more to the deficit  to hire millions to collect the illegal guns.

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 09:00:01 AM »
This bill is a deliberate overreach so they can then "compromise" with "reasonable" restrictions.  We need to keep the pressure on, from now until it's dead, and even after that.  Everyone here needs to be calling, writing letters, sending emails, stopping by your rep's local office, whatever.  Keep their feet to the fire.

Exactly- and it may also be used as leverage for or against any and all tax/spending bills........

I am actually surprised she went this far- I expected her to ram through the same 94 AWB, "for now, until we can do something more." That same law would have had a very good chance of passing. Of course, this one may be watered down so much that it will be essentially the same as the old one.

Edited to add: here is the NRA-ILA's analysis of the supposed bill
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2012/feinstein-goes-for-broke-with-new-gun-ban-bill.aspx

However- I read what was on her website (felt bad about actually accessing her site...but I felt I had to...) but it seems the NRA is assuming that semi-autos in the registry can't be transferred, and have to be surrendered to the GOV on the owners death. I don't see that anywhere in her summary.

NRA's assumption:
"Prohibits the transfer of “assault weapons.” Owners of other firearms, including those covered by the NFA, are permitted to sell them or pass them to heirs. However, under Feinstein’s new bill, “assault weapons” would remain with their current owners until their deaths, at which point they would be forfeited to the government."

I will let you find Feinsteins bill on your own, I really don't want to link to it from here. I feel dirty enough after looking at her site.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:08:51 AM by dkarp »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 09:22:19 AM »
dkarp, see the first item on Feinstein's list bans the SALE, TRANSFER, or manufacture.  So by banning all sales or transfers of all "assault weapons" their would not be the ability to do so with one on the registry.

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »
Dont go to her website!  Anyone that does is basically admitting that they are in possession of an ugly AW or a cache of high cap mags and ammo. Now they have your address to know where to find you...

Ultimate trojan horse.  They suckered you in!

66bigblock

P.S.  Sent from my iphone while sitting in my faraday cage wearing both my tinfoil hat AND tinfoil mittens

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline jimneb

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 02:22:48 PM »
I followed the links and sent a lengthy email to every one of my elected officials. I made it clear that we don't need any additional gun laws. I also pointed out that one of the recent shooters should have been in prison.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 05:16:33 PM by jimneb »

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 05:08:47 PM »

I'm thinking the same thing. 

There is no way in heck all of her proposals will become law.  In the NRAILA link it says the "assault weapons" list is up to 1,000 different models which will have to be NFA registered.  That flat out effects too many people for that part to pass IMHO.  The mag part I could see a chance of that becoming law as much as that is BS .  Fingers crossed hopefully none of this crap passes.

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 06:54:21 PM »
I'm thinking the same thing. 

There is no way in heck all of her proposals will become law.  In the NRAILA link it says the "assault weapons" list is up to 1,000 different models which will have to be NFA registered.  That flat out effects too many people for that part to pass IMHO.  The mag part I could see a chance of that becoming law as much as that is BS .  Fingers crossed hopefully none of this crap passes.

I was grateful to see all of the over reach in her proposal for the same reason.  No way it would get passed.  As much as I would hate to see it, if she would just propose banning magazines larger than 10 rds. then I could see that passing pretty easy in today's climate. 
USN 91-97, USS Chandler DDG-996

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin