< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Three New Shooting Ranges Being Planned Near Omaha Area  (Read 13431 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Three New Shooting Ranges Being Planned Near Omaha Area
« on: December 30, 2012, 09:25:29 AM »
Omaha World Herald has these stories on page 3B today:

Planning Commission OKs Firing Range
Bellevue Planning Commission approved an indoor firing range at one of the city's busiest commercial intersections [3402 Samson Way].

Omaha Company Pushes for Papillion Gun Range
This one is for a shooting range at 108th and Portal Road [just down the street from our Paragon Firearms Training Center.]

An additional Omaha indoor range [not ready yet to discuss shooting type] is in progress, having been reviewed w/Omaha planning officials and--so far--given a positive welcome by those same officials.

FYI,

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Three New Shooting Ranges Being Planned Near Omaha Area
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:26:30 AM »
but but but how can they do that if they ban all our guns?
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »
That's certainly encouraging.  I live in far SW Omaha (almost gretna) so I'd like to see something out west.  :)
USN 91-97, USS Chandler DDG-996

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 09:50:11 AM »
this is great, I love ENGC but there are times when I just need to function check or verify zero. the drive from Bellevue is long enough away
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:20:20 AM by dukduk »

Offline Nebraska12

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:14:28 AM »
It would be nice to have more options with regard to indoor ranges. One of those is less than 5 min from my place. Awesome. ;D
'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'[/SIZE][/I]

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 08:17:03 AM »
this is great, I love ENGC but there are times when I just need to function check or verify zero. the drive from Bellevue is long enough away

You could always join the Bellevue Rod and Gun Club   ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 09:44:49 AM »
Omaha World Herald has these stories on page 3B today:

Planning Commission OKs Firing Range
Bellevue Planning Commission approved an indoor firing range at one of the city's busiest commercial intersections [3402 Samson Way].

There's a mortuary at that address according to Google Maps, but there is plenty of room in that area to build.  It's just off of 36th St and Hwy 370, so it should be very convenient for most people.  Not very far away from where I live either.

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 12:36:47 PM »
do you have info on membership? pistol,rifle range?
There's a mortuary at that address according to Google Maps, but there is plenty of room in that area to build.  It's just off of 36th St and Hwy 370, so it should be very convenient for most people.  Not very far away from where I live either.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 12:48:10 PM »
do you have info on membership? pistol,rifle range?

I'm pretty sure the membership requirements for the mortuary are pretty strict.  And I don't think they have a pistol range, but if they do that's where I'm going when my time comes.
 :)

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 02:34:18 PM »
According to another article, the proposal is at 3403 Samson Way, which would make the address as Baldwin's Flooring, the bigger building to the west.  The planning commission approved it, now it goes before the Bellevue City Council.  Although, I have to say that Commissioner Cain asked a silly question.  She needs to remember that Wal Mart sells ammo too, and they're right next to Bellevue West High School.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121230/NEWS/712309930/1687

After asking some tough questions, members of the Bellevue Planning Commission approved an indoor firing range at one of the city's busiest commercial intersections.

The board voted 7-0 to approve an application by Bellevue residents Robert and Mary Whaling to build a firing range inside a building at 3403 Samson Way. The proposal will be considered by the City Council Jan. 28.

Commissioner Carol Swayne said firing ranges are generally used by responsible gun owners seeking to perfect their skills.

“It definitely would be a good business addition to the city,” she said. “It will bring other people to Bellevue.”

The project received support from Jim Ristow, president of the Bellevue Chamber of Commerce.

Given that the range will be less than a mile from Golden Hills Elementary School, Commissioner Stephanie Cain sought assurances that children in the area will be safe even though the Whalings intend to sell ammunition to customers.

Robert Whaling said he expects ammunition sold at the range will be used at the range.

“It's awfully hard to say that we can protect anybody outside of our facility,” Whaling said. “Safety is going to be the key here. We're not going to allow people to enter the facility with loaded firearms, and they will have to leave with unloaded firearms.”

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »
“It's awfully hard to say that we can protect anybody outside of our facility,” Whaling said. “Safety is going to be the key here. We're not going to allow people to enter the facility with loaded firearms, and they will have to leave with unloaded firearms.”

Good luck with that
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 06:35:23 PM »
That's certainly encouraging.  I live in far SW Omaha (almost gretna) so I'd like to see something out west.  :)

Very good news. I'd love NW Omaha to get some love.....but won't hold my breath. Too bad Elkhorn was occupied- I mean annexed by Omaha.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 10:16:20 PM »
NEBRASKA CROSSING at I-80 and Hwy 31 / Gretna is starting a full  redevelopment program.  All existing businesses are out and a major remodel to take place with new anchor stores.  A good entrepreneur could look at a space there for an indoor range.   ;)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 12:57:05 PM »
Very good news. I'd love NW Omaha to get some love.....but won't hold my breath. Too bad Elkhorn was occupied- I mean annexed by Omaha.

Somewhere west of the Elkhorn river and north of Hwy 93 would be ideal. Out of Obamaha's reach, but not too far...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:59:59 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 06:21:32 PM »
You could always join the Bellevue Rod and Gun Club   ;)

I actually looked into that a while back.  They have very nice facilities.  Limited facilities for rifle and pistol, but their trap ranges are first rate. 

Then I asked about membership.  There are more hoops to jump through at the Bellevue Gun Glub than one must go through to open their own range in Omaha!  OMG, the guy droned on for 10 minutes about membership requirements, work details, all kinds of junk.  I thanked him and left as quickly as possible.  I dont want to live with those folks, I just want to go and shoot occasionally, jeez!

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline tatejo

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 08:59:55 PM »
Has anyone heard of any progress being made on this new indoor shooting range yet?

Another one here in Omaha would be very nice!

Offline JW-E154

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 03:26:19 AM »
The shooting range in Bellevue has been approved and construction has started. Membership info will be available soon. It will be called TakeAim Bellevue. The owner is a retired AF Security Forces member they currently have a website and a Facebook page. It is scheduled to open late May early June. They will have a nice waiting area with WiFi access, TVs as well as classrooms. They are currently taking reservations for ther first CCW class as well. They will not be doing gun rentals. But will sell ammo. He plans on having customer appreciation nights as well as a plethora of other things to make the truly an excellent experience. Look it up on line and on FB. It is going to be a great thing for the city of Bellevue.
"People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf"

"Sheepdog 4 Life"

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God."

Offline Supersparky

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 06:58:19 AM »
I had heard at one time that there was going to be a new one around the 108 and Dodge area.  I would be really happy if they would build one in NW Omaha or closer to Washington County.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 07:13:03 AM »
Checked out the website for TakeAim.  They have some pictures posted of the construction.  Kinda interesting.  The facebook page is pretty good too -- lots of comments about planned amenities for the range and links to ammo deals.

If they run the range anything like they indicated they will, the Bullet Hole is gonna have to step up their game.  That's not a bad thing.

Offline BDUB

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 12:08:46 PM »
Bucket,

Thanks for the good words.  We do intend on ensuring a good experience for the customer and if anyone ever sees a better way for us to do things, we are always open to suggestions.  After all, the range really belongs to the customer.

Thanks

BDUB, Owner Take Aim