< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ammo storage - What's yours?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline ckspeed

• Powder Benefactor
Ammo storage - What's yours?
« on: December 31, 2012, 11:44:48 PM »
Looking for some better options for ammo storage, seems I'm not unloading enough at the moment. Not going to say how much or what I have as it doesn't matter whether it's 5 rounds or 50,000.  Recent events makes a person re-think where your weapons/ammo are stored.

I've used the Cabela's dry boxes (plastic), 50/30 cal GI cans, wooden trunk, PVC pipes buried in the back yard (ok, not really), but anyway I'm looking for something better. I like the dry boxes, but they're plastic and not exactly super secure, but the lock hole is a nice effort. I do keep all my ammo locked up, usually double locked (lock on the container and in a locked area), except for what's readily available for HD... :o

I've considered turning a linen closet or something into an ammo storage location and installing a deadbolt lock or whatever to secure it, but that seems a bit odd at times. Not sure if the significant other would go for that idea.

I'd like to keep it air tight too, as I keep desiccant bags there for moisture control when possible.

What's everyone else doing? Suggestions?

Offline cckyle

• NFOA Full Member
  • KD0MKS
Re: Ammo storage - What's yours?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 12:28:36 AM »
I currently use a couple of ammo cans, and a couple of plastic containers (not air tight/ smaller rubbermaid type containers with lids that snap shut) and one has the ability to put a lock on which I have.  These are in a locked room inside my locked house.  I may use something else in the future but for now it works and I haven't had any problems yet. 

I personally wouldn't put ammo in a vacuum type bag that isn't resealable as I like to rotate my ammo.  Shoot the older stuff first.  When I go shooting I grab a couple of boxes of the oldest stuff I have shoot it and then before/after shooting I go buy at least what I took out (usually a box or two more) and put the new stuff away.  I'm really not sure if this is necessary, but just something I have done out of habit to keep track of stuff and keep if organized. 

If you are storing for long term and you won't use it you could seal in a vacuum type bag and then in another container.  And then keep it in a place with low moisture and a stable temp.  I'm sure someone can chime in with more knowledge about ideal conditions for long term storage though. 

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:49:22 AM »
.50 Cal Ammo boxes inside of my safe, with a dehumidifying rod (except for what is loaded in magazines).  I'll probably also buy some desiccant packs and throw some in the ammo boxes, as well as a large one inside the safe.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 09:03:32 AM »
I am going to be using one of these. It can be filled, locked, covered with a throw, and put right in the living area of the house. With a few things on top like a lamp and a couple book ends, it will just look like a piece of furniture. And nobody is going to pick it up and walk off with it.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/truck-job-boxes/48-jobsite-box-with-tread-plate-design/p-1458887-c-9192.htm

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
I am going to be using one of these. It can be filled, locked, covered with a throw, and put right in the living area of the house. With a few things on top like a lamp and a couple book ends, it will just look like a piece of furniture. And nobody is going to pick it up and walk off with it.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/truck-job-boxes/48-jobsite-box-with-tread-plate-design/p-1458887-c-9192.htm

That's a good idea.  Northern Tool in Omaha down on 72nd and Pacific has one similar.  I want to say it's a little cheaper but can't remember the price.  Someone on another forum suggested an old chest freezer that's lockable.  Seemed like a good idea too.  Currently I’m putting ammo in my safe.  Getting pretty full so might have to choose a different option soon. 

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 11:28:53 AM »
30/50 cal. cans for long term storage and seldom used calibers.
Also a few 40mm ammo cans for looooonnnnggg term storage of 9mm and .22LR that I stocked up on from ChinaMart before the prices went up in 2008. (They're kinda heavy and don't get moved much if I can help it  ;D )

Cabela's-styled plastic ammo storage containers for frequently used ammo.

All stored on commercial-style shelving I picked up at the county auction for cheap.

Too bad all my guns are at the bottom of some random lake/river.   :'(
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 12:08:18 PM »
i keep all my ammo in surplus ammo cans and a couple of Cabela's plastic cans.  various sizes for various calibers and the boxes are marked for each caliber.  my safe is too small to fit all my ammo cans, so they stay stacked up beside it.  i've thought about putting locks on my ammo cans, but not sure if i would do it or not.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline ckspeed

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »
The metal containers are nice, as I wonder about what happens in a fire, not necessarily to save the ammo, but keep anything that might ignite somewhat contained and not flying all over the neighborhood.  The 30/50 cans are just not big enough, expensive when you buy large quantities, and not really what I'm wanting. Maybe a second inexpensive safe with lots of shelves is the way to go.

I do like the idea of the jobbox, but like a chest freezer, the stuff in the bottom gets buried and difficult to reach. Maybe a smaller one, or two, in a closet might work, with shelves/bins above for reloading supplies, cleaning equipment, etc.  Hmmm.......

I have a "tornado room" but it's a sealed concrete room with no HVAC vents and tends to be very humid. I've already ruined a couple of Coleman lanterns by storing them in there, otherwise it's the perfect storeroom. It does work well for wine though, just sayin..... ;D

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »
Ammo in a fire is not dangerous, it doesn't explode. It will make a lot of noise, and a thin tin box will contain it all.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 01:45:06 PM »

Offline ckspeed

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 01:58:50 PM »
Ammo in a fire is not dangerous, it doesn't explode. It will make a lot of noise, and a thin tin box will contain it all.

Yeah, that's one reason I'm not a fan of the plastic boxes or a wooden storage crate, as it would just intensify the fire wouldn't you think? Sorta like throwing live ammo into a camp fire.  As stated, I would think a metal container should contain just about anything within reason.

I guess the main concern during a fire wouldn't necessarily be the chance of ammo flying around like firecrackers so much, although I'd still be concerned about it, as it would be the pop, pop, pop noises that would tend to scare off any first responders can cause concern.

Either way, and with not a lot of justification, I would just prefer something metal I suppose.

Edit: Wow, interesting video DaveB, thanks! Obviously there's not much reason to worry about fire and I should just be more concerned with theft, unauthorized entry, and my own convenience for organization.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:13:21 PM by ckspeed »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »
I took a old metal gun cabinet and build some shelves into it.  Bulk goes in ammo cans in the bottom and practice Self defense stuff on upper shelves.  I also added a locking door latch on my bedroom door and is looked when ever I'm out.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »
Shelf+basement+dehumidifier. Never seen the point for much more than that. I do have a decent stock of ammo, but it is constantly being rotated out (shot) and new stuff being brought in.

I have built myself a decent man/gun/shooting - shrine/cave. So this isn't a typical dirt-floor-humid-as-crap basement, although the previous owners did grow weed down there, and I did have to do some serious work to get it to a decent state.