< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Beretta Nano vs. Ruger LC9 vs. Glock 26  (Read 7347 times)

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
Beretta Nano vs. Ruger LC9 vs. Glock 26
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:20:06 PM »
Looking for a new conceal carry pistol, and am looking at small 9MMs. I've just started the search, but am considering a Beretta Nano, Ruger LC9, or Glock 26. I am open to others as well.

I've not yet shot any of the above, and certainly will. How it feels, and how I shoot it will play very large into my decision, but I am curious what experience you all have had with these listed above?

I did shoot an LCP a while back and didn't particularly care for the trigger... I am assuming it is the same trigger on the LC9.

I currently carry either a Springfield XD (40 S&W) or a 1911 (45 ACP).

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Beretta Nano vs. Ruger LC9 vs. Glock 26
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »
I can't speak for the Beretta but the LC9 (and others it's size) is the cat's meow when it comes to concealed carry. The Glock is a lot wider which makes it less comfortable and concealable. Of course, your size and choice of clothing can make anything concealable. The Glock does carry a few more rounds which is a plus.
While smooth triggers are very important to me in a target handgun, I like my ccw triggers a little more difficult to pull. With the adrenelin flowing I don't want the gun to go off till I'm good and ready.

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 07:18:04 PM »
The Glock 26 is a double stack, so it does hold more ammo.
It should be easier to find a holster for it, and with proper clothing it is very concealable.

On the plus side, you can use a G19 or G17 mag as a carry spare and get quite a few more rounds.

I have no experience with the Baretta or Ruger.

Offline Mikee Loxxer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 07:28:12 PM »
The LC9 does have a long double action trigger pull, which as Waltherfan points out can be a positive thing.

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:52:28 PM »
I should have clarified that I am looking for something that works well with lighter clothing... shorts and a t-shirt. The 1911 is a bit much in the summer months.

I was thinking the 26 was the slim line / single stack, but it sounds like it is thicker gun (I'm not a Glock guy)... probably comparable to the XD.

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 09:55:02 PM »
The Glock 36 http://us.glock.com/products/model/g36 is a single stack .45 auto that holds 6 rounds, I think all the other Glock models are a double stack design

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 06:36:42 AM »
I'm a big fan of single stack for ccw, I'd pick the lc9 out of your choices. I had a pf9, kimber solo, and still carry a pps. I'll still wear a 5" xdm everynow and then

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 07:45:28 AM »
I had an lc9. The trigger pull feels like it is a mile long, recoil is a bit snappy with the short barrel and single stack lightweight poly frame.

Current carry is actually a S&W m&p9c, great little gun for the money, and holsters are readily available. Well, they were when i bought it. Who knows availability now with everyone buying everything up.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 10:30:34 AM »
I just got a S&W M&P Sheild in 9 that I vary much like, good trigger and shoots well.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
I just got a S&W M&P Sheild in 9 that I vary much like, good trigger and shoots well.

Thats what i wanted, but they were all allocated through davidsons, and i wasnt going to pay 120 over msrp from bigshots.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 10:37:35 AM »
They are slowly getting out, every dealer around has lists of people wanting them and the distribution seams to go to those that are lucky enough to talk to their rep at just the right time.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 01:09:44 PM »
I carry the LC9 in a Crossbreed Microclip. I can wear it with a tucked in polo shirt and the firearm is not visible.

Offline Lindy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
Those Looooonnngggg triggers pulls can be a trick if you are going back and forth between guns, but if you are sticking to one the majority of the time, it seems like it can be overcome with practice. I have the LCP, SR9, and SR40c, so all I can do is vouch for Rugers as a whole, and I like them a bunch.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 12:10:23 PM »
I should have clarified that I am looking for something that works well with lighter clothing... shorts and a t-shirt. The 1911 is a bit much in the summer months.

I was thinking the 26 was the slim line / single stack, but it sounds like it is thicker gun (I'm not a Glock guy)... probably comparable to the XD.

The G26 is a double-stack, with 10+1 capacity for 9mm.  I love Glocks, and their single-stack 36 is the only one I detest as it doesn't fit my hand at all.

I wore a G26 in an AIWB holster with a t-shirt and shorts, then moved to a G19 in the same manner without a problem.  (And I'm 5'8", 165, so it isn't like I'm huge or anything.)

If you want to carry a single-stack, that's all good.  But far as I can tell, it isn't so much the gun that makes it work, as the holster you are using.

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »
If I am not cc'ing with my G30, then it is with the G26...and sometimes both ;)  ...and then there's the G19  ;D

If you so desire to increase the capacity of the G26, Pearce Grip Extensions can be used to replace the magazine floor plate....they have 'em to hold 11 or 12 or 13...not including the +1 in the chamber...without really increasing the print of the grip (IMHO from using them) and yet also allowing for that lower finger to use the grip.  Then again, this is coming from one who uses and conceals the G30 pretty well with a Crossbreed IWB.

The link for the Pearce Grips to read up on 'em is: http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products#GLOCK

Have not used either the Beretta Nano or Ruger LC9.....just a Glock kind of guy  :blank:
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »
I purchased a Nano for concealed carry.   It is an amazing little gun and is VERY accurate, even out to 60 or 100 yrds.   There is a video of a guy hitting 5 out of 6 at 60 yrds and 4 out  of 6 at 100 yrds,  IIRC.

It has only a 6 shot magazine.  Beretta has an 8 shot magazine that extends the grip half an inch, but even when I get an email alert that they are available the website says they are out of stock.  It amazes me that they cannot manufacture those 8 shot clips fast enough.

The gun does not have any appendages sticking out of either side, so there is nothing to snag on holster or clothing.   There is no "safety switch"  either.  You can take it apart with a dime as a tool, or the edge of an expended brass casing.  Beretta cautions against using ammo lighter than 124 gr, which can cause a "failure to eject" (FTE).   I shoot 147 gr and had only only 2 or 3  FTE, all due to my limp wristing.  (I hadn't shot any weapons in 30 years and I needed  to strengthen my two hand grip.)

Glock 26's can FTE if limp wristed as well, as several videos on youtube show.