< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Sen. Johanns Position on Potential AWB Legislation  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Sen. Johanns Position on Potential AWB Legislation
« on: January 07, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
I received a response to my e-mail to Sen. Johanns this morning.  Not sure if anyone else has gotten a response yet, but I thought folks might be interested in what he had to say.

Dear ....

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut and related gun control proposals.  I appreciate having the benefit of your views. 

As you are aware, a violent shooting took place at Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut on December 14, 2012.  This heart-wrenching tragedy took the lives of 27 people, the majority of whom were small children.  The suspected gunman, Adam Lanza, committed suicide before he could be apprehended. 

I have great sympathy for those whose lives have been affected by this tragic event, and my thoughts and prayers are with them and their families.  I joined all of my Senate colleagues in cosponsoring a resolution, S. Res. 621, honoring the victims and condemning the atrocities of this shooting.  The Senate passed S. Res. 621 by unanimous consent on December 17, 2012. 

This atrocity has prompted renewed public discussion of a range of issues related to school safety, mental health, violence in the media, and gun control.  This is an important discussion, and it should be informed by the findings of the ongoing investigation.  Some have proposed enacting a ban on certain semiautomatic firearms and magazines, similar to the ban that expired in 2004.  Legislation related to such a ban has not been introduced in the 112th Congress. 

I believe we must work to eliminate senseless acts of violence like the attack in Newtown.  However, placing a heavier burden on responsible gun owners will do little to prevent troubled individuals from carrying out such atrocities.  I strongly believe in the constitutional rights of citizens who choose to own guns.  I believe that hunters, gun collectors, and sportsmen alike take seriously the responsibilities of owning a firearm. We should focus attention on identifying warning signs that individuals are troubled before tragedy strikes.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me.  I appreciate hearing from Nebraskans and value your insight.  If you would like to know more about my work in the Senate, please visit www.johanns.senate.gov, where you can sign up for my e-Updates or link to my Facebook and Twitter pages.  Please feel free to reach out to my office any time.

Very truly yours,

Mike Johanns
United States Senator

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Sen. Johanns Position on Potential AWB Legislation
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:56:41 AM »
Whew! When I saw the red letters I was a bit worried.

Offline instag8tr

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:22:42 AM »
Looks like a form letter i have seen from other Senators or congressmen

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »
Good deal.  I've written him several times without a response.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:50:09 AM »
Blah blah blah blah.....we'll see how he votes on Chucky Chuck Hagel and further tax increases like his cave in on the Fiscal Cliff.....

Offline Thomas

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:26:48 PM »
I have received similar responses from him, also. I just keep writing him and watching his vote.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
i have yet to receive anything back from any emails i have sent.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

A-FIXER

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 02:49:26 PM »
I as well received the same letter and as it was mention in above post he caved on the '' fiscal cliff thing'' I have not heard from Deb Fisher yet? Any one?

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 05:24:48 PM »
Count me with those who have heard nothing but the sound of silence from our elected representatives.

Offline jimneb

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 07:36:25 PM »
Count me with those who have heard nothing but the sound of silence from our elected representatives.

You can add another to the list.

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 07:57:23 PM »
I as well received the same letter and as it was mention in above post he caved on the '' fiscal cliff thing'' I have not heard from Deb Fisher yet? Any one?

Only thing I've seen from Deb is the Interview she did a week or so ago.  She didn't even blink about supporting the 2A.  I felt really good about her response.  The video is posted here somewhere, I forget where.
USN 91-97, USS Chandler DDG-996

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 08:13:24 PM »
Sometimes it is better to stand silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 10:39:49 PM »
I still have a problem with: "I strongly believe in the constitutional rights of citizens who choose to own guns.  I believe that hunters, gun collectors, and sportsmen alike take seriously the responsibilities of owning a firearm."

I still see a huge chance to "deal" on what kind of firearm citizens may choose to own. These guys say they support the 2A but don't say to what limit they are willing to stand ground. They say what makes people happy on the outside, but don't make a tangeble commitment.  What might they give up for rights to "pork" another bill later? 

Even though countries like Austrailia and UK have disarmed, violent crime persists and is even worse than countries with armed citizens. The bad guys still have guns.  Our politicians use, "hunters, collectors, and sportsmen" to avoid mentioning personal defense and government inability to provide effective protection to citizens.

There is a lot to what they don't say.