< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ernie Chambers on Judiciary Committee  (Read 3011 times)

Offline RICHARD D LONG

• NFOA Full Member
Ernie Chambers on Judiciary Committee
« on: January 09, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
A travisty.  We lost Lautenbaugh and picked up Chambers.  In other words, forget about any pro-gun legislation.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Ernie Chambers on Judiciary Committee
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 09:04:48 PM »
I'm really getting tired of the crappy news for gun owners lately.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 09:06:40 PM »
i'll not justify putting into words what I feel about ole Ernie...it would only serve to land me in hot water.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »
Well I wouldn't give up on that committee just yet. I just looked at the makeup myself and to me we actually have a chance of it being a better makeup than the last two years.

The entire list is as follows: Ashford (Committee Chair), Chambers (replaces Brenda Council), Christensen, Coash, Davis, Lathrop, McGill, Seiler

From what I know there's good potential here. The wildcard will be Davis.

Offline RICHARD D LONG

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 08:21:25 AM »
to DanClrk51:  After watching the circus yesterday in the Judiciary on LB390, tell me again about how you think there is potential for that committee.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:48:43 AM »
I had a chance to speak to Davis briefly after the hearing, he is more to our side than I thought he would be (and even appears to be supportive of 390's intent).  But I don't see how anything is going to happen without someone coralling Ernie.  Senator Ashford allowing him to talk over and interupt witnesses shows who really runs that committee, he just does not have to do the administrative paperwork.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:55:39 AM »
Colossal Nebraska Term Limit FAIL.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 12:14:43 PM »
Aside from his tactics being very Sol Allinsky, isolating and demeaning those with opposing views, he seems to be the definition of a bigot.  According to Websters: Definition of BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

I would include in the parenthesis, political group.

I think that defines his actions pretty well.  Don't you?
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 12:33:44 PM »
one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

But, But....  Only whites can be racists or bigoted.  I'm so confused.....

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 01:33:46 PM »
Cobra was on the warpath all week.  he and Christensen had quite the fight earlier this week.  im so tired of his antics.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 03:01:33 PM »
While  I was teaching physics at York College in the 1980s I was asked by the NE HW Patrol to investigate the shooting of Arthur Kirk  by several swat team members who were being sued by  his  widow for wrongful death in a shootout near Cairo, NE.

Part of the evidence they gave me included pictures of the entire scene taken at night with flash.  They included an area in which, a day or two later, Chambers claimed he found casings which supported the window's claim that  swat team member  Ron Griffin (IIRC) shot the victim while he was standing still, with his hands raised up,  shouting "I give up!".  The pictures taken that night, of which I was given copies,  showed nothing on the ground in that area where Chambers claimed to have found casings.  I never heard anything further about those casings except what I read in the GI Independent.

She claimed Kirk was murdered for his political beliefs.   The attorney for Mrs. Kirk was a Posse Comitatus member.   He had stuck long dowels into the three bullet holes in the side of the house, made by  Griffin,  and then used trig to "prove' that Griffin was standing behind a propane tank when he shot Kirk.   I put 5 mm glass tubing through  the holes and then shone a laser through the tubing.   The three beams, one for each hole, formed circles of probability which intersected to form a knee high oval at an area about 70' away, at the edge of the trees which were south  of the house.    I also got to examine and test fire Kirk's AR-15 and the ammo,  which Kirk had loaded himself.   That was his undoing.  His third round stove piped, jamming his rifle.   The bullets were poorly seated in the casings.  Many were loose and easily twisted.  Some I could rock back and forth.  I pulled some  of them out of the casing with  my finger and thumb with little effort.  I took 20 of the bullets apart and weighed the powder. There was a wide variation in powder amounts between  the 20 cartridges.  IIRC, the differences were by as much as 30% from the average.   I also got to  examine the jump suit that Kirk was wearing when he was shot.  From it, and the x-rays of his wounds, I determined that he was in a squatting position with his right arm at a 90 angle to his torso.   A firing position.  When worn in a standing position the front of the pants hung down smoothly, without wrinkles.   When squatting the pants wrinkled up.  The round that hit him in the front of his left leg, an inch or so left of the centerline,  through the Rectus Femoris, made TWO  holes in the pant leg,  traveled "up" the leg and fragmented in the left Gluteus Maximus.  I put "up" in quotes because he was squatting, which means that the bullet traveled horizontally, almost parallel to  the thigh bone but off to the left.   Kirk was over weight.  When his body was placed on the autopsy table a  "side view" photo  of him was taken.  Because  of his weight that portion  of his leg with the entrance wound was twisted so that the entrance would appeared to be more on the side than  on the top.  That photo gave rise to the claim that Kirk was shot from the side, if not the rear.   The other round from Griffin's gun to hit Kirk struck him in his right Brachial Plexus, severing the brachial artery, and exiting the rear of his right arm, just above the  elbow.  The bullet path was parallel to the Humerus.  He bled to  death because of the severed artery.  His right hand and arm was useless because the median nerve was damaged by the same bullet.   The three bullets that hit the house did not touch Kirk.  When Kirk fired at Griffin, Griffin instinctively pulled the  trigger, discharging 3 rounds,   He then stood up, switched to auto, and sprayed into the darkness from which Kirk fired.  I was able to locate damage caused by those rounds in the fencing of the dog kennel into  which Kirk crawled and died, and in a cotton wood tree behind.   Kirk had built a bunker under a wind mile south of his house.  It was encased in 3' diameter Cotton  wood  trunks, covered by a layer of rubber sheeting over a foot  thick, and with horizontal firing slits on  all four sides.  Besides his AR-15 with the 100 rnd magazine that he carried coming out of the house, he had a .308 rifle, a .357 pistol and a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs in that bunker.

The police were trying to talk Kirk  into giving up and coming out.  They asked his wife to  help.  The last thing she said was "you know what we talked about.   You know what you have to do."  She hung up and Kirk came out firing.

There are not many links on  the web about the story, and about Chambers history against the 2A,   but here is what I could find:
http://tinyurl.com/awzbbho

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/04/02/us/amendment-on-gun-curbs-causes-dismay-in-nebraska.html

http://www.american-buddha.com/franklincoverup.11.htm

http://www.franklincase.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113:king-expands-into-food-service-something-on-every-burner-jan-12-1985-&catid=6:news-articles&Itemid=14
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:09:30 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 04:29:48 PM »
With Ernie Chambers on the Judiciary Committee let me guess which bills will make it to the floor... :(

A-FIXER

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 08:50:11 AM »
While  I was teaching physics at York College in the 1980s I was asked by the NE HW Patrol to investigate the shooting of Arthur Kirk  by several swat team members who were being sued by  his  widow for wrongful death in a shootout near Cairo, NE.

Part of the evidence they gave me included pictures of the entire scene taken at night with flash.  They included an area in which, a day or two later, Chambers claimed he found casings which supported the window's claim that  swat team member  Ron Griffin (IIRC) shot the victim while he was standing still, with his hands raised up,  shouting "I give up!".  The pictures taken that night, of which I was given copies,  showed nothing on the ground in that area where Chambers claimed to have found casings.  I never heard anything further about those casings except what I read in the GI Independent.

She claimed Kirk was murdered for his political beliefs.   The attorney for Mrs. Kirk was a Posse Comitatus member.   He had stuck long dowels into the three bullet holes in the side of the house, made by  Griffin,  and then used trig to "prove' that Griffin was standing behind a propane tank when he shot Kirk.   I put 5 mm glass tubing through  the holes and then shone a laser through the tubing.   The three beams, one for each hole, formed circles of probability which intersected to form a knee high oval at an area about 70' away, at the edge of the trees which were south  of the house.    I also got to examine and test fire Kirk's AR-15 and the ammo,  which Kirk had loaded himself.   That was his undoing.  His third round stove piped, jamming his rifle.   The bullets were poorly seated in the casings.  Many were loose and easily twisted.  Some I could rock back and forth.  I pulled some  of them out of the casing with  my finger and thumb with little effort.  I took 20 of the bullets apart and weighed the powder. There was a wide variation in powder amounts between  the 20 cartridges.  IIRC, the differences were by as much as 30% from the average.   I also got to  examine the jump suit that Kirk was wearing when he was shot.  From it, and the x-rays of his wounds, I determined that he was in a squatting position with his right arm at a 90 angle to his torso.   A firing position.  When worn in a standing position the front of the pants hung down smoothly, without wrinkles.   When squatting the pants wrinkled up.  The round that hit him in the front of his left leg, an inch or so left of the centerline,  through the Rectus Femoris, made TWO  holes in the pant leg,  traveled "up" the leg and fragmented in the left Gluteus Maximus.  I put "up" in quotes because he was squatting, which means that the bullet traveled horizontally, almost parallel to  the thigh bone but off to the left.   Kirk was over weight.  When his body was placed on the autopsy table a  "side view" photo  of him was taken.  Because  of his weight that portion  of his leg with the entrance wound was twisted so that the entrance would appeared to be more on the side than  on the top.  That photo gave rise to the claim that Kirk was shot from the side, if not the rear.   The other round from Griffin's gun to hit Kirk struck him in his right Brachial Plexus, severing the brachial artery, and exiting the rear of his right arm, just above the  elbow.  The bullet path was parallel to the Humerus.  He bled to  death because of the severed artery.  His right hand and arm was useless because the median nerve was damaged by the same bullet.   The three bullets that hit the house did not touch Kirk.  When Kirk fired at Griffin, Griffin instinctively pulled the  trigger, discharging 3 rounds,   He then stood up, switched to auto, and sprayed into the darkness from which Kirk fired.  I was able to locate damage caused by those rounds in the fencing of the dog kennel into  which Kirk crawled and died, and in a cotton wood tree behind.   Kirk had built a bunker under a wind mile south of his house.  It was encased in 3' diameter Cotton  wood  trunks, covered by a layer of rubber sheeting over a foot  thick, and with horizontal firing slits on  all four sides.  Besides his AR-15 with the 100 rnd magazine that he carried coming out of the house, he had a .308 rifle, a .357 pistol and a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs in that bunker.

The police were trying to talk Kirk  into giving up and coming out.  They asked his wife to  help.  The last thing she said was "you know what we talked about.   You know what you have to do."  She hung up and Kirk came out firing.

There are not many links on  the web about the story, and about Chambers history against the 2A,   but here is what I could find:
http://tinyurl.com/awzbbho

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/04/02/us/amendment-on-gun-curbs-causes-dismay-in-nebraska.html

http://www.american-buddha.com/franklincoverup.11.htm

http://www.franklincase.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113:king-expands-into-food-service-something-on-every-burner-jan-12-1985-&catid=6:news-articles&Itemid=14

Grey, as I like your stories how does this relate to this topic? If you could for simple folk like me stick to the gravity of the OP's view. Don't be offended I just am trying to understand the info you are sharing.
AF

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 08:59:06 AM »
What Grey was trying to say (please don't stereotype professors) that you can't trust Chambers to actually tell the exact truth as facts depict.  Chambers is real good at developing his own facts, and as the saying goes "if you tell a lie enough times it becomes truth".  With Chambers on the committee nothing that makes common sense will get through.

I am still waiting for Chambers to actually show his evidence on the Lucas shooting that he claims to have.  If it is so damaging to the Omaha Police, why doesn't he produce it in a court of law?

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 09:08:38 AM »
you can't trust Chambers to actually tell the exact truth as facts depict.

Exactly.  One of the links is  about a talk Chambers gave in which he followed a racist to the stand and when asked why he appeared in the same forum with a racist ...  well, you check the link and form your own opinion.

A-FIXER

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 09:30:11 AM »
K.I.S.S. is the word for me today.. too much of any other just invites clouds... in My Mind.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 10:17:08 AM »
May I add that I don't think Chambers is any more a lier, than he is a publicity hound.  I think he immediately jumps on a possible explanation that defends his position without researching the facts.  After he has made the accusation, he is stuck with his original statement and a conspiracy that requires all the evidence to be tampered with.

Chambers is much like Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton who never let a good tragedy go to waste.  If there is even the slightest chance there was wrong doing, they will be there getting their self serving exposure on the media.  It is a horrible shame, but these people do more harm to the group they are supposedly defending than they do good.

Fly
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:22:13 AM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 05:33:13 PM »
Cobra was on the warpath all week.  he and Christensen had quite the fight earlier this week.  im so tired of his antics.
And that is why we need to push for REAL term limits in this state. Two terms and you are done. Done done.

Offline Bucket

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 03:25:54 PM »
And that is why we need to push for REAL term limits in this state. Two terms and you are done. Done done.
I've never been a fan of term limits, as I firmly believe that people deserve the representation that they vote for.  I will concede, however, that Ernie Chambers is a poster child for why they may be needed.

What I wonder about (and I admit my ignorance) is why one person like Chambers is allowed to have such an ability to muck up the legislative process.  I constantly hear how he's such a master of the Unicameral's rules, but that merely raises the question about why those rules continue to exist or the other Senators don't change them to reduce his ability to be such a wrench in the works.  In my mind, Chambers is a cancer on our state and has probably done more to hurt his constituents than any single politician in the state.

Offline NB

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 05:10:06 PM »
I vacillate back and forth on term limits.  On the one hand, people get what they deserve, but on the other hand, no good ever comes out of lifelong politicians.  Lee Terry promised he was two terms and done, but then said "it takes that long to get everybody to know your name so you can get on the important committees".  Hmm...  Isn't that kind of proving the term limit point?  Get in, try to push your ideas through, and get out.
You can hope in one hand and crap in the other, then see which one fills up first.