< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Our first guns, gotta tell somebody 'bout it....  (Read 905 times)

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
Our first guns, gotta tell somebody 'bout it....
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:40:50 PM »
Well after a year of looking I had this gun picked out 6 months ago but a year ago it was the FN fns 9, but I couldnt find it anywhere and being new to guns I wanted to hold it and cuddle it to be sure, I also wanted an american made handgun and glocks to me are butt ugly and sig's and h&k are too expensive. so my search went on until I heard about the S&W M&P 9, So I watched the reviews of Sturmgewehre and Hickok45 (love those two) so for 6 months ive been saving and getting honestly more paranoid as the election neared. Me and my wife both went into Bigshots last night here in lincoln and bought a S&W M&P 9 and my wife purchased the last M&P shield left in Nebr. at least that was what he told us, I laughed cause my wife has wanted this gun so badly as it is perfect for her hand size and highly reviewed so I was like wow thats a tough sales pitch, but he explained it was the last one he had on hold and the person never showed. Unfortunately  it was a .40 and she wanted a 9 mm. But were pretty happy.

p.s. Is it wierd for a grown man to sleep with his first gun the first night he has it? Not that I did that I am just asking for a friend. ;)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Our first guns, gotta tell somebody 'bout it....
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 04:42:07 AM »
Don't sleep with it under your pillow.

Good ole rules of it can go off at any time etc.

But... on a high note...

Congrats!

Everyone remembers their first gun, and usually lovingly too :).

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 06:32:15 AM »
Good choices!  Welcome to the NFOA and the wonderful world of shooting.  Now, if I may make a suggestion, please join the fight to keep our rights.  We need all the help we can get in writing Congress, recruiting others, etc.

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »
Good choices!  Welcome to the NFOA and the wonderful world of shooting.  Now, if I may make a suggestion, please join the fight to keep our rights.  We need all the help we can get in writing Congress, recruiting others, etc.

Already done sir, I have written fortenberry, johanns, fischer, Obama and Biden. joined the petition protests on We the People, use the link sturmgewehre of the Military Arms Channel on YouTube suggested of congress.org to copy and past his letter to all of them. Voted and wrote all of them again on popvox, Also doing my best to flood my facebook friends but most of them live in Cali and are already brainwashed.

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »
Unfy, No we made  rule no ammo in house till we have a safe. (we havent even fired them yet) Got our Gunvault safe in the mail yesterday but it will not open, our code works but it clicks and wont open. So thats a bummer.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:22:13 PM by wusker »

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:38:43 PM »
I've heard that the cable inside the gun vault brand safes can break leaving you locked out. That's what has kept me from getting one.

Welcome to the forum! This is a fantastic community and an excellent source of information for what is going on in our country, state, and cities.

Make yourself at home : )

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »
I've heard that the cable inside the gun vault brand safes can break leaving you locked out. That's what has kept me from getting one.

And there is this: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/07/gun-safes/

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 01:58:48 PM »
Well if it's that easy to break into these safes then Brad Asshford will need to develop some state gov't agency to oversee the testing and approval safety devices like they do in California, since California is such a great model of how to do business.

/sarcasm off

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
My first "gun" was purchased when I was about  11 or so, 60 years ago.   I used my once a week paper route money to  buy it.  It was a lever action Daisy BB gun, without a fore-grip.    You rotated the muzzle knurl to expose a hole in the side  of the barrel skirt and poured in around 200 BBs.   I paid about $2 for it.   A few days ago I saw the exact same gun hanging on a hook at Walmart for $22.99.

I bought my first real gun when I was 16.   I took a bus to  downtown Denver, walked into the Dave Cook sporting goods store and plunked down enough money to buy two surplus M1-Garands.  I didn't need a permit or to show an ID.  I got back on the next bus to Englewood and took them home. I also bought a Pacifica press  and reloaded my  own rounds.   I removed a lot  of the wood on the fore-arm, sanded the finish down and then hand rubbed Linseed oil on them until they shined like a glass.  The finish was hard  as a rock and scratch  proof.     I did a lot of shooting with them.  The day  before I left for college   I fired 400 hand loaded rounds through them.   I had a bruise  on  my shoulder that took a month to disappear.   I also bought a Winchester  Model 94 30-30 for deer hunting.  That rifle kicked  harder than the M1s.  I also bought an old antique 1877 Stephens hexagonal barrel falling block .22 rifle, and an old British cap muzzle loading musket with the Royal Armory stamp on it, but I never fired that one.   The  rifle I fired the most was a Western Field .22 caliber bolt action rifle with a 4X scope  on it.  I could knock pheasant out  of the air with that one.  It was accurate beyond 100 yrds and I could cover a 5 shot group at 100 yrds with a 50c piece.    I noticed  in  my browsing yesterday that the Michigan Millitia has a shooting standard of 8 out of 10 shots into a nine inch paper plate at 100 yrds, off hand, no seat or rest.

While I was in college my step brother sold them all.   After college I purchased a Ruger .22 semi-auto,  which I sold a couple  months ago, and a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shotgun.  During the 1970s I used the shotgun a lot to put food on  the table, until the chamber cracked.  I guess I made the  loads too hot.   

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 06:26:40 PM »
Awesome congrats.  Tell your friend there's nothing weird at all about sleeping with it the first night, or the second, or the third, or the fourth, .....
USN 91-97, USS Chandler DDG-996

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin