< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Did I hear that right?  (Read 9233 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Did I hear that right?
« on: January 11, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »
I was just walking thru the kitchen and the radio was on and there was somebody on there from 88 Tactical (IIRC) with Crash Davis talking about Ashford's new gun control ideas ..... and it soundedlike the guy on there said something to the effect that he "was not opposed to a liscence to own a firearm"  :o

Did I hear that right?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Did I hear that right?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »
I was listening to it as well.  He was their head legal beagle.

Crash asked him if he wanted to register firearms and I think he misinterpreted the question.  He was just going on about advocating mandatory training for gun purchasing like a drivers license.  He basically is suggesting to mandate gun training and give people a "license" to buy/own a gun.
It's a dumb idea, but he was up front stating that as a training organization he is advocating for more training.

I heard the same thing you did and my eyebrows went up, but I'm pretty sure he heard the question wrong. 

**edit, just read your question again.  Thought you asked about a gun registry.  Never mind.  Yes you heard it right, he's advocating a license to own a firearm that requires training.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:40:15 PM by XDHusker »
USN 91-97, USS Chandler DDG-996

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 06:45:33 PM »
A training organization advocating mandatory training is as as bad as  a Lawyer (Brad Ashford) advocating gun owners assume civil liability for something someone does with their stolen gun or an insurance organization advocating for mandatory liability insurance for gun owners...... BAD BAD BAD!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 06:59:48 PM »
Let's give that a test run for voting rights first...mmmkay?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 07:02:08 PM »
What station is it you guys are referring to?

I think mandatory training has its pro's and con's.  If you think about it like an intro to weapons class, it wouldn't be that bad of a deal to require a new handgun owner to at least be able to operate his weapon before he can purchase one.  Think of it like a hunters education course, and actually it could even be rolled into that course...

But I don't agree with ANYTHING mandatory by virtue alone. That is the reason I am against it.  I think if a person wants to be trained in something, they will get training. If you want to own SCUBA gear without knowing how to dive, that is your prerogative.  Murphy will sort things out...

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 07:13:29 PM »
Let's give that a test run for voting rights first...mmmkay?

That's just it: Felons get to vote now....... they just can't own guns.

Gun ownership is the only right that the Establishment fears now, as they have 50+% of the voters dependent upon the Welfare State.  They have control of them.

Remember: Gun Control ain't about guns..... it's about control.

Murphy will sort things out...

The Progressives seem to think that Mr. Murphy should be, and actually can be, thwarted, if only the right people are put in charge and given enough power.

"..... they always come back to the idea that they can make people ....... "better".  Well, I don't hold to that....... "

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 07:25:44 PM »
Being disqualified by the due process of law (felony conviction) is hardly equivalent to putting a competency test on a fundamental human right like self defense or freedom of speech
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 07:32:54 PM »
A training organization advocating mandatory training is as as bad as  a Lawyer (Brad Ashford) advocating gun owners assume civil liability for something someone does with their stolen gun or an insurance organization advocating for mandatory liability insurance for gun owners...... BAD BAD BAD!

100% agree. I would consider this a violation of professional ethics, with a fundamental human and constitutional right as the potential matyr... just to make a buck.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 07:34:09 PM »

I agree......

As a Trainer....... I wish everyone would get some training (actually lots of training) and much beyond what I offer....... However I don't support "requiring training" to own a gun.

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »
What station is it you guys are referring to?

Crash Davis show on 1110 KFAB in Omaha.  Interview was approximately 5:15-5:30 time.
USN 91-97, USS Chandler DDG-996

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 07:38:36 PM »
Anybody know the guys at Signal 88?  If so, ask if we can get a clarification.......

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 08:01:01 PM »
Anybody know the guys at Signal 88?  If so, ask if we can get a clarification.......

Grumble...

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 08:03:45 PM »
Grumble...

?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »
Here's what 88 Tactical said on their Facebook page, regarding a debate that just got filmed between Senator Ashford and Degan from 88 Tactical:

"It wasn't really a debate because Senator Ashford was pretty much in line with what we were pitching. They had a tough time trying to find something to debate about. I suggested they argue about their ties ... solid vs striped. Ha"

You can see their comments about all of this on their Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/88.tactical

My comment was that I was surprised that Ashford agreed with them---I thought that meant he had changed his position.  Apparently---it meant something else.

I agree with Chris:  "As a Trainer....... I wish everyone would get some training (actually lots of training) and much beyond what I offer....... However I don't support "requiring training" to own a gun. "

If you create a requirement necessary to be met before doing something---then it means you control who can do that "something."

Tools for self-defense, and the free exercise of your rights, should not be subject to such controls.

Yes, I CERTAINLY wish that more people got training.  (That's why I started doing it in the first place.)  But requiring training----no.

Just:  No.

Hopefully there has been a miscommunication here. 

As has been mentioned, the guy from 88 Tactical was on the Crash Davis show (KFAB)--and someone asked on their Facebook page:  "Did he just say that 88 tactical is backing a federal Registration and licensed program To obtain any Type of firearm? And obtain a federal mandated training class to obtain that weapon?"

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

A-FIXER

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 08:36:53 PM »
it wouldn't be that bad of a deal to require a new handgun owner to at least be able to operate his weapon before he can purchase one

I agree with Chris:  "As a Trainer....... I wish everyone would get some training (actually lots of training) and much beyond what I offer....... However I don't support "requiring training" to own a gun. "

If you create a requirement necessary to be met before doing something---then it means you control who can do that "something."

Well said and put.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 10:40:11 AM »
I'd support universal background checks before I'd agree with mandatory training.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 11:15:18 AM »
I just e-mailed one of the owners of 88 Tactical to see what his response is.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 01:29:03 PM »
IIRC, when Business gets together with Labor and Government to tell you what you have to buy and do and get permission for before you can excercise your God given rights ..... that's Fascism, is it not?   All that is missing is a mandatory membership in a Firearms Owners Union ......

..... "they keep coming back to the idea that they can make people  .... "better" ....... well I don't hold to that ......"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 02:27:27 PM by JimP »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 02:25:10 PM »
Mandated training can lead to abuse.  We need look no further than what we see in "may issue" CCW states like CA.  Only the politically well connected, the rich, celebrity types and anti-gun mayors can get permits.  (How much training does Sean Penn or Diane Feinstein have anyway?) 

Hell yes EVERYONE, particularly those of us toting firearms for SD purposes, should get training.  But there's no training that can instill a conscientious, responsible and safe attitude.  You have to bring that to class with you.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »
From Facebook:

Tom Kennedy
If we change our fundamental right into a privilege by requiring those who want to obtain protection to take a class or pass a test , that would just be wrong and open the flood gates to have government regulate the amount of training that is enough. I do understand your company prospers by training in the use of firearms and so do I but to force your or my training by rule of law to grow and prosper is not right. I do encourage training voluntarily but not to be able to secure protection. Last I would not have the government tell a Private company to administer a test or training free of charge. Now to offer training is a lot different than making it a requirement.

Trevor Thrasher
I should be more cautious with my use of the word training. I think the training could come from anywhere including public schools and parents, but I personally would like to see a test. Making a profit from it is not involved with my opinion. 88 tactical offers free training in an introductory pistol class. I don't see easy testing as an unreasonable infringement considering the firepower we allow people to possess. Obviously some disagree.

Toby Asplin
So, is this the official 88 Tactical position?

88 Tactical
We're pretty comfortable with this stance, Toby. You know us pretty well.

Toby Asplin
I thought I did. That's why I wanted to make sure that I understood your position - testing would be REQUIRED before an individual could exercise their Second Amendment right.