< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Did I hear that right?  (Read 9236 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: Did I hear that right?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 02:50:13 PM »
That's why I wanted to make sure that I understood your position - testing would be REQUIRED before an individual could exercise their Second Amendment right.

He is with Ashford on this.  Enough said.

"The the friend of my enemy is also my enemy."
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »
Just to make sure that there is no miscommunication or accusations of people editing comments, here are screen caps of the discussion from 88 Tactical's public Facebook page as of 2:50pm on 01/12/13. 

These are all from the same discussion, in order.  It includes all posts without editing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jthhapkido/8373411043/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jthhapkido/8373410997/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jthhapkido/8373410947/#
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Thanks, Thomas!

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 03:31:52 PM »
I've trained with Trevor and Signal 88 on a number of occasions. As a military brother-in-arms (GO NAVY..BEAT ARMY!!!)  and someone who swore the same oath to Protect and Defend our Constitution from enemies foreign and domestic, I respect his/their right to exercise the First Amendment without "training" no matter how ilLOGICal it may be.....
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:37:53 PM by bullit »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 03:36:31 PM »
He is free to say whatever he wants ...... but words have consequenses.

I'll never spend a nickel with them and will recommend other gun owners do likewise.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 04:06:59 PM »
I made a decision in the past to make 88 Tactical an affiliate to NFOA at a time when they were offering  use of their facilities for an NFOA meeting/range day.

I now regret that, and I am now rescinding that decision, and removing 88 Tactical from the NFOA affiliates list. I did this on my own, so if you are angry about that I can take the heat.

Their stated stance, that the Right to keep and bear arms and the fundamental human right to self defense require testing, relegates them to privileges.

I disagree vehemently, and I can not in good conscience be associated with  88 Tactical any further.

88 Tactical has never been a sponsor or advertiser on the NFOA websites 
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 04:33:22 PM »
Thank you Dan. Arbitrary decisions usually not well received, but this is clearly in our best interests. They aren't with us...therefore against us.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 04:41:56 PM »
Now I'm even more happy about not choosing them for the instruction that I'm about to take.

I wonder if their position on this would change any if said training could only be performed by a government certified and employed trainer?.

I'm not sure that this was a smart move on their part.
Seeing as they seem to aim a lot of their business at training and stuff for the prepper community.
Actions such as these have been known to put other business quickly out of business in the past.

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 04:53:03 PM »
He is free to say whatever he wants ...... but words have consequenses.

I'll never spend a nickel with them and will recommend other gun owners do likewise.

Agree, it makes me seriously question doing business with them.
USN 91-97, USS Chandler DDG-996

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »
Arbitrary decisions usually not well received

I, for one, support Dan's decision.

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 05:09:59 PM »
Their stated stance, that the Right to keep and bear arms and the fundamental human right to self defense require testing, relegates them to privileges.

Thank you Dan.  They showed their colors, and you're showing ours.  Good job!

Ghost
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
Thank you Dan.  They showed their colors, and you're showing ours.  Good job!

Ghost

Couldn't have said it better!

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
I don't know the people at 88 Tactical, but I would not lump them all into the same company, even if you disagree with their "official" stance...  I'm sure some of them dislike the notion of required training as much as the rest of us. 

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 07:03:53 PM »
I'm really surprised they took that position. Shocked, frankly. I loved their carbine class and planed on taking their advanced pistol class. I'll be looking for another place to take the course.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »
First, I agree with Dan's decision.

And I totally disagree with the notion that a firearm should require training.  Skipping the political & moral obvious 'who certifies the trainers' and 'training to vote... such as requiring ppl to pass the INS immigrant tests' being fundamentally flawed....

I don't have to have a training cert to buy a nail gun.  Or a battery powered chain saw.  Or a baseball bat. Or a golf club. Or a weed eater. Or a pocket knife. Or an air compressor.  Or a propane tank.  Or a hand axe.  Or a bow.  Or a bb gun.  Or a plumber's torch.  Or a staple gun.  Or a signal flare gun.  Or fireworks.  Or a sling shot.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 11:31:52 PM »
Interestingly enough, many moons ago, I had a permit for operation of a nail gun that was a state requrement.

Just completed a CCW course through 88 Tactical today. Guys seem to have their heads in the right place...but it is run very much as a training business...and harping training would be in their general interest...classic shift to the dark side of government good ol' boy money moving.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 01:06:23 AM »
I fully support your decision Dan. 

We have plenty of qualified instructors who are supporters of our rights and the NFOA, we don't need them or their attitudes.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:08:31 AM by dcjulie »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 01:10:35 AM »
I support your decision Dan.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 02:02:11 AM »
Good job Dan, I've got your back on this one.

Now is the time to hit them hard, use all the resourses we have. Just because someone claims to support us, while profiting off us, doesn't mean we have to kiss their a$$!
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2013, 09:32:48 AM »
Ive been waiting to see how this played out before replying. Frankly this post is rhetorical, I'm not interested in a back and forth, this will be one and done. This is for the benefit of those who haven't posted or new members wondering what the heck this is about.

I did not hear the radio program or see the televised debate. After speaking to other Instructors at 88 tactical it seems that those who were listening issued a simultaneous groan at how we were represented. And once the ball started rolling it seemed impossible to get ahead of it.

Lessons learned; (1) It was a terrible idea to have our attorney represent us to the media, his personal opinions didn't represent us as a group, or a company, at all. (2) Once the SHTF you might as well be attempting to reason with a pre menstrual teenage girl. Nothing, and I mean nothing you say will be met with anything less than irrational anger.

Trevor Thrasher expressed his personal opinion about required training on our Facebook page, a subject that has been discussed civilly on this forum in the past. He isn't the first or only supporter of the 2nd Amendment who believes that the phrase "well regulated" means well trained. Many believe that the Forefathers knew that an untrained Citizen with a gun was dangerous and ineffective, so they added a training mandate. Whether you agree or not, nothing he said deserved the response it received.

88 Tactical was called an "enemy" by at least one poster. We do have enemies, real ones. They are sitting in DC as I type this conspiring to remove guns from our culture. To apply that label to 88 Tactical, and for the forum moderators to allow it, is disturbing. It seems the NFOA leadership were a little too quick to turn on one of their own, and that makes me question if they are the right people to carry us forward politically.

One poster stated, more or less, that we are "all about training, and no wonder we would try to mandate it" We aren't lobbying for mandated training. But we are a training business, and unless we make money, we wont be in business much longer. Every 88 Tactical Instructor teaches, number one, because we love it. Number two, because we can make a little money doing something we love. Show me an Instructor on here that instructs for free......wait for it..........it just so happens 88 Tactical gives free training. Free 3.5hr basic handgun courses (yesterday we went 4 hours cause everyone was having so much fun) I would bet that 88 Tactical has given away more free training this year than all of the other Instructors on this forum have done for profit, combined.

We screwed up, nobody's perfect. But to use that mistake to imply that we, as a group, don't support gun rights, that we are enemies to gun owners and that we are only in business for a quick buck, is flat out wrong.

Previously when recommending the NFOA, I would describe it as an excellent forum to go to for general firearms advice, reasonable, sometimes spirited discussion and a great way to become politically active. I'm not so sure now. This was an ugly, knee jerk reaction, fully supported by the moderators. If this is the direction the NFOA is headed I can no longer, in good conscience, endorse it. 

- Shawn

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com