< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anti gun article from the World Herald 4-24-09  (Read 4331 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Anti gun article from the World Herald 4-24-09
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 11:17:04 AM »
BRAVO! excellent response Fly
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 05:00:31 PM »
Good job!
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »
Great job !!!! Submit it and then check with Mr. Simmons in a couple of days..That's what I did.
Stay on them until this gets published.
Again Good job.
It sucks to have to edit all that out to make it fit doesn't it?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 09:24:27 PM »
It sucks to have to edit all that out to make it fit doesn't it?

Yes...it was painful, but I think I still got my point across.  Though I wish I could put in some more explanation for the anti-gun/ignorant that buy into all that the liberal media spews out.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 02:48:10 PM »
Just heard from Geitner Simmons.  He said they would publish it.  I don't subscribe to the OWH, so if someone sees my reply, could they let me know and maybe I will pick up a copy?

Thanks,
Fly

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 06:47:08 PM »
I'll be looking for it. I get it everyday. Did he give you an idea when it might go in?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 07:23:58 PM »
Did he give you an idea when it might go in?

He just said "we will run it soon".  Whatever that means.

Fly

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 09:07:25 PM »
That probably means this week. Congrats.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2009, 10:46:48 PM »
OnTheFly -

There are times when someone steps up to the plate and has the opportunity to make a difference.  I believe that you have made one of those moments - regardless of the outcome of your article, the fact that you created it, honed it to clearly articulate your position and set the example for others is inspiring. Well done!

Roper
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 11:09:23 PM »
OnTheFly -

There are times when someone steps up to the plate and has the opportunity to make a difference.  I believe that you have made one of those moments - regardless of the outcome of your article, the fact that you created it, honed it to clearly articulate your position and set the example for others is inspiring. Well done!

Roper

Ahhh shucks!

Seriously though...thanks for the encouraging words.

Fly

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 08:23:17 AM »
Seen it in Wednesday's paper, nice write-up.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 01:21:28 PM »
They changed a little, but it was mostly intact.

http://www.omahaworldherald.com/index.php?u_page=3952&u_sid=10627112

Midlands Voices: Don't trample gun rights
BY GREG LAMB

The writer, of Lincoln, is a firearms enthusiast.

It is disheartening, to say the least, when an individual such as E.J. Dionne Jr. gains national exposure to speak of something he knows nothing about (April 24 More Commentary). Moreover, his lack of research on gun regulation is made painfully apparent by the misinformation he has presented.

First and foremost, the legal ownership of firearms in the United States is an individual right recognized by the Bill of Rights and recently confirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court.

The liberal left cannot dispute one simple truth; The Bill of Rights was written to recognize the rights of individuals, not of the government. In fact, the government has never had rights, only responsibilities. Any argument to the contrary shows only a waning knowledge of the war for independence and the armed civilians who fought and died for our victory.

Thomas Jefferson included the following passage in his "Legal Commonplace Book": "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one."

Furthermore, how is it even plausible to any American that the solution to Mexico's problems is to deny the rights of our own citizens? The lack of control by the Mexican government can be traced to one ongoing issue: the absence of a secure border. A secure border would significantly slow the flow of illegal drugs and weapons.

Let us imagine that we somehow came up with a law that severely impedes criminals' attempts to obtain firearms. Would this disarm wrongdoers when our southern border so freely allows the movement of illegal people, drugs and firearms? Is this the ingenious plan of the anti-gun lobby?

Once our rights have been taken away, maybe we will finally decide to secure our borders.

Mr. Dionne also would like us to feel ashamed of our gun laws by comparing the United States to other democratic countries. How can Mr. Dionne state that our gun laws are ineffectual and call for further legislation when our government fails to enforce the laws already in place?

Before we trample on the Bill of Rights, we need to demand that the government exact strict punishment for the laws that currently exist. Take criminals off the street and keep them off.

The tragic mass shootings over the past 10 years have become the war cry of the anti-gun crowd. These killers have one commonality: the desire to display their superiority and share their pain with the world.

I believe Mr. Dionne may be on to something as he contemplates limiting rights. Instead of attacking the Second Amendment, why don't we call for restricting the First Amendment?

I consider the irresponsible use of free speech by the press to be the cause of the copycat crimes perpetrated since Columbine. Just as a criminal wields a knife or pulls a trigger, the press has provided these assailants with their true weapon. If you are unwilling to limit the First Amendment, how can you call for restricting the Second?

If Mr. Dionne had the slightest understanding of firearm laws, he would be ashamed to use such a baseless term as the imaginary "gun-show loophole." The private sale of firearms between individuals is allowed in most of the United States. The fact that it may take place at a gun show is irrelevant.

Any loss of human life, especially a death caused by the heinous act of another, is undoubtedly a sad event. It is human nature to seek a person or object to blame for the loss. A criminal's use of a firearm garners the same reaction: Blame the gun instead of the miscreant who pulled the trigger.

Mr. Dionne is correct. It was not the gun lobby that elected President Barack Obama. Regardless, he has sworn to uphold the Constitution. Possibly the "petrified" members of Congress that Mr. Dionne speaks of are simply not willing to lay waste to what our forefathers fought so hard to found.