< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: newbie who may have panic bought  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Smeeker

• NFOA Full Member
newbie who may have panic bought
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:17:13 PM »
so for my first post...
  My husband and I were planning on buying our first gun this spring but recent events sent us into a buying tizzy  :D last month we bought an AR, an 9mm XDM Compact for me, and a 9mm M&P for him.  Yes, I will admit it, I was a panic buyer.  On the bright side that should keep me content for awhile. 
  I should say I am not a complete newb, I do have prior military experience, but it has been several years since I've felt the thrill of pulling the trigger.  I tried to explain the sense of accomplishment of hitting the target and getting those tight groups to some non gun owner friends...they just smiled and nodded.   :laugh:
  I am proud to be a gun owner, now more than ever!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: newbie who may have panic bought
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:21:18 PM »
...... On the bright side that should keep me content for awhile. 

Oh...you have no idea what you've started, do you ;D  It's called Black Rifle Disease for a reason...they just keep multiplying. 

Welcome to the group!  Where are you located?

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:36:17 PM »
so for my first post...
  My husband and I were planning on buying our first gun this spring but recent events sent us into a buying tizzy  :D last month we bought an AR, an 9mm XDM Compact for me, and a 9mm M&P for him.  Yes, I will admit it, I was a panic buyer.  On the bright side that should keep me content for awhile. 
  I should say I am not a complete newb, I do have prior military experience, but it has been several years since I've felt the thrill of pulling the trigger.  I tried to explain the sense of accomplishment of hitting the target and getting those tight groups to some non gun owner friends...they just smiled and nodded.   :laugh:
You and your husband are coming out on Saturday, right? Welcome to the team!

Offline dougusafsp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:53:20 PM »
Welcome to the NFOA. Glad to see my niece has joined. LOTS of good people here. 
U.S. Air Force Security Police 1987-1994

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 01:22:59 AM »
I've met alot of people in my life, supporters of the RKBA are the best. Now stand strong with us, and we will not compromise!
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 07:18:39 AM »
Welcome to the NFOA. Glad to see my niece has joined. LOTS of good people here. 

hey...speak for yourself:)

and bkoenig is right, don't leave your guns alone...they multiply when you least expect it.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »
so for my first post...

Hi Smeeker, My name is XDHusker and I'm a panic buyer too.  Just remember, the first step is admitting it.

I was planning on picking up my first AR later this year but paid the panic tax on one last month.  I only had to pay a $500 premium, because I got in before it really got out of hand.
USN 91-97, USS Chandler DDG-996

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Smeeker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 07:00:57 PM »
 Yes we do plan on attending the rally on Saturday, its to important not to!  I want to get a little range time in Sat as well.  I am hoping my guns won't multiply like tribbles yet...maybe making mods to the AR will keep us satisfied for now..that and the price of ammo, eek. Luckily we got our AR before prices got out of hand.
Thanks to my uncle DougUSAFSP for getting me here and thank you all for the warm welcome!

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 08:01:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

In response to everyone's worries that your guns will multiply:  keep them busy...... If you spend the time and effort to master the tools you have, there won't be time to aquire new tools, in the near term....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:27:04 PM »
Congrats!  Just remember to do the right thing and keep your firearms in a safe location and locked up unless they're specifically being used for home security.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »
They do multiply.  Just ask my husband about my first gun purchase and telling him at that time "I'll never need another one, I only need one!"  :)   He'll never let me live that down, so I might as well bring it up first!

Welcome to the NFOA.  Feel free to come out to ENGC on the 1st & 3rd Sunday of the month for our matches!