< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reasonable Article in the World Herald This Morning  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
Reasonable Article in the World Herald This Morning
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:15:11 AM »
Compared to what we've seen come out of OWH in the past, I think David Hendee did a fair job representing gun owners in Nebraska and the NFOA as an organization:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130117/NEWS/701179930/1685#midlands-gun-owners-say-bans-are-misguided

I'm not sure what Brad plans to do regarding introducing "a bill to require a permit when handgun ownership is transferred from one person to another."  But, if he wants to spend his time on bills like that instead of some of his other anti-gun crazy ideas, it's not a bad distraction for him to pursue.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Reasonable Article in the World Herald This Morning
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:23:39 AM »
Wesley that was my thought on Brad, didn't already do that back in the 1990's?  I seem to remember that it is required to have a handgun purchase permit to buy a handgun, even from a private party.  Perhaps he said he had passed such a bill and David misunderstood?

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:28:20 AM »
I know, why don't they enact a law to require drug users to have a permit before they conduct private sales of banned substances?  I think that will work, won't it?

What's so magical about these gun laws anyway?
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:45:34 AM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:42:52 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:47:20 AM »
Ya wanna know what I took from this article most?  Why does the Iowa Gun Owners have 15000 members as compared to our 5000+  ?
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Supersparky

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »
What's so magical about these gun laws anyway?

What is magical about gun laws is, the vast majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens and people selling drugs are not.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 09:55:16 AM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:43:02 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »
Ya wanna know what I took from this article most?  Why does the Iowa Gun Owners have 15000 members as compared to our 5000+  ?

don't they have 7x the population?  numbers aren't everything.  per capita might be a better rule of thumb.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 11:26:23 AM »

no one knows about the NFOA. It's simple, we don't advertise. I've never mentioned the org to anyone and had them know what I was talking about. I'd like to see us buy some radio time.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 11:58:22 AM »
no one knows about the NFOA. It's simple, we don't advertise. I've never mentioned the org to anyone and had them know what I was talking about. I'd like to see us buy some radio time

I keep a stack of brochures with me so when I do have a conversation with someone about firearms and the NFOA and I get one of those 'deer in the headlight' looks, I can at least give them a well presented document explaining the organization.  "Word of mouth" works but not to the same degree print ads or radio spots do to reach a larger audience.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 12:19:07 PM »
don't they have 7x the population?  numbers aren't everything.  per capita might be a better rule of thumb.

Iowa's population: 3,062,309
Nebraska's population: 1,842,641

This means that the Iowa gun group members are about 4.8 of every 1000 of the general population, while NFOA members are about 2.7 of every 1000. (This assumes that the 15k and 5k membership figures are correct.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:22:17 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »
NFOA is closer to 6k
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »
NFOA is closer to 6k

Okay, so the figure is more like 4.8/1000 in Iowa and 3.2/1000 in Nebraska.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 12:52:53 PM »
I'm manning a table at the Lincoln gun show to sign up new members.  Advertising is great but very expensive.  We really need more volunteers.  If every member signed up two more people we would dwarf Iowa, per capita.

Offline NB

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 02:58:30 PM »
How about the Pew poll on the front page that showed 58 percent of respondents favor a ban on semiautomatic weapons and 53 percent favor a ban on online sales of ammunition.  I expected the 55 percent on "ban assault weapons" but if people can't separate online ammo purchases and a semi auto shotgun from their emotions then I am definitely concerned...
You can hope in one hand and crap in the other, then see which one fills up first.

Offline NB

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 03:03:07 PM »
And... Did Sols want $1200 for that AK in the picture?
You can hope in one hand and crap in the other, then see which one fills up first.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 04:34:55 PM »
I'm manning a table at the Lincoln gun show to sign up new members.  Advertising is great but very expensive.  We really need more volunteers.  If every member signed up two more people we would dwarf Iowa, per capita.

Negatory, my friend.

I mentioned trying this a few years ago. I was scoffed at.

How much money does NFOA have in the bank now?  Over $15,000 last time I looked. 
This would target the very sportsmen that we need on our side right now. Start with even the smallest ad, then gauge the results and adjust accordingly.

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/nebland/classifieds/pdf/NEB-RateSheetDISPLAY-ADS.pdf

Circulation
NEBRASKAland Magazine is distributed by subscription,
newsstands, State Parks, State Recreation Areas and Game
and Parks Commission District Offices. Total distribution per
issue is approximately 30,000 with an estimated audience of
120,000, including pass along readership.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:36:57 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »
Take a look at the AR in the picture. It's an example of how ineffective the old AWB was. That gun has a fixed stock, no bayonet lug, and no flash hider. That's a post-ban legal configuration.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 09:26:41 PM »
no one knows about the NFOA. It's simple, we don't advertise. I've never mentioned the org to anyone and had them know what I was talking about. I'd like to see us buy some radio time.

I don't know but I remember spending $5000 on advertising last year.  We are on radio shows throughout the state, quoted in newspapers.  We as an organization have even been represented on television news stories.

We have members that don't remember joining. 

We have become one of the most respected Lobbying organizations in the state, and we draw national attention to our opinion and what we do.  I even get requests for advise from other organizations nationally.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 12:28:02 AM »
If guns are ever outlawed, all of us law-abiding gun owners will be in the same position as the people selling drugs.

Make no mistake about it....  these gun laws have only one purpose, to plow the ground to  make it easier to confiscate the guns.    Guns are ranked 15th as a cause of death in the US.  If these anti-Constitution folks were truly interested in "saving lives" they'd be working on one of the causes that is 10X more lethal.