< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Got a handgun purchase question / clarification..  (Read 565 times)

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
Got a handgun purchase question / clarification..
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:46:42 AM »
I was speaking with a friend of mine last night who is preparing to purchase her first handgun. She is a farm girl from Iowa and a longtime rifle / shotgun shooter. 

She is a permanent resident of Iowa and has already received her Iowa CHL. She resides in Omaha now, temporarily, house sitting for a relative in the service. She is telling me she is going to look at Cabela's / Guns Unlimited for her purchase.

Now unless I missed something recently, she can purchase long guns across state lines w/o issues.  However, she cannot purchase and take possession of a handgun across state lines.  She may purchase and then have the item delivered to her selected FFL in Iowa for transfer and delivery.  This was the case a few years back when I purchased from Bass Pro as a Nebraska resident and had to have the firearm transfered to a FFL here in Nebraska.

I think she has been listening to a party 'back home' in Iowa who may not know of what he speaks...    :-X

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Got a handgun purchase question / clarification..
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 12:06:22 PM »
You are correct. . . Must take possession in your state of residence.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »
You are correct.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:44:06 PM »
Thanks guys...