< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Fight Gun Control Like Ghandi?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Fight Gun Control Like Ghandi?
« on: January 15, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
Re: Fight Gun Control Like Ghandi?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:31:22 PM »
Yeah, I am torn on this.  I want to go do the rally because I feel this governmental overreach merits action.  I feel very strongly about this issue but don't know for sure what the correct way to defend our rights is.  I respect your opinion on this, Toby.  What do you think is the correct thing to do?
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:33:08 PM »
I like Beck's piece because it forces one to think differently.  Admittedly, I probably lean more in the non-Gandhi direction by nature, but I think the Gandhi approach has considerable merit.

A-FIXER

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:13:32 PM »
20 or 30 yrs inprison is not my idea of the method to follow

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:18:11 PM »
As I watch the various gun control stories on television news or internet video, I see a few common threads.  There are those that view firearms as a problem and those that do not and a mix in between. The ones with a problem want something to change...anything. The ones that do not have a problem want nothing to change and maybe even hope to recover some previously lost ground. The mix in between is the worst as they will accept change by compromise.

At state levels, law-makers are looking at draconian measure singling out "semi-automatic", "high capacity" or "assault weapons".  Federal level law is threatening executive order and is sure to settle to any compromise where we lose.

Obviously individual action is required.  A peaceful and stick-to-your-convictions action will have the greater result.  Action.  Write the lawmakers....as many as you can. Talk with friends, neighbors and family (careful..as many don't share your enthusiasm and bore easily...I may be boring some of you right now). Educate people you spot in media that don't have answers. I have observed many pro-gun advocates that vehemently stand on the 2nd A but fail to speak to issues. Proponents  that yell, froth and fume over rights appear somewhat less than social (and even dissapointing at times). Opponents can't relate to Constitutional right when they view the banning of certain weapons, magazine capacity, background checks for all firearm sales and improved mental health care as solutions to the killing of innocent lives. These opponents don't see a few changes having any impact on a right they don't care to exercise. There is also a sense of taking away power from others.

A ban on "assault weapons".  Scare words for what they really mean...An AR-15 rifle. However, much more would be impacted by writting law as law-makers broadly sweep similar apearring, functioning or related ammunition. Media and politicians constantly say that no body needs an AR-15 rifle. Yes we do need the AR-15 or any other firearm we choose.  The AR-15 is a very reasonable defensive firearm and has effective function for home or any other personal defense. We should not be deprived of certain firearm or types of arms that reduce our defense of ourselves and others.  A defensive firearm should not be limited in round capacity since there is no way to determine how many rounds are required to obtain survival or escape from other violence.  How can law makers determine that 10 rounds is enough and after that your rights just ran out?

Background checks are just another legal foot in the door to more control, confusion and red tape. Cost to everyone will increase and most likely result in something unable to reduce criminal gun use. What we enjoy as a right to buy and sell our personal property will be taken away and replaced with paperwork and fees. This is a item that could easily be accepted as a compromise and one we should fight.

Registration does not prevent crime. Cities have paid millions on registration process that never provided anything to solution of a single crime. Another money eating process with suffering for all involved. Ultimately could be used by government to confiscate all firearms in a take over of power. Another item that could compromise in to place and we have to fight.

Let them work on mental health related to crime...hopefully without stepping on the rights of innocent people. I don't have the confidence that our government can approach something this complex, but it appears to be the root cause of recent events. Troubled individuals need to be separated from those they wish to harm.

Recent ews polling is showing a higher percent of people interested in imposing some kind of additional gun control than people that do not want added controls.  Although statistics can be and are manipulated, it still indicates a need to tip the scales with our effort.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 07:29:06 AM »
"January 2013 Post-ABC poll - Guns, politics and governing priorities

Q: Would you support or oppose a law requiring a nationwide ban on semi-automatic handguns, which automatically re-load every time the trigger is pulled?
Published: January 15"

A Washington Post poll question (http://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2013/01/14/National-Politics/Polling/question_9676.xml?uuid=0zWY9F6VEeKKy6tct36VyA)

Note how seeds are planted and ignorance created. The 51% in support most likely know nothing about firearms. Do supporters understand that a revolver provides a round every time the trigger is pulled?

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 07:52:32 AM »
20 or 30 yrs inprison is not my idea of the method to follow

You'd prefer your wife and children in prison and you buried in a mass grave?

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 08:53:48 AM »
I am still trying to find the documentation that 74% of NRA members "support" some form of "common-sense" gun control that is oft quoted in the days since Sandy Hook.....

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »
I am still trying to find the documentation that 74% of NRA members "support" some form of "common-sense" gun control that is oft quoted in the days since Sandy Hook.....

Good luck.  :)

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 11:49:27 AM »
38.9% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

A-FIXER

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »
You'd prefer your wife and children in prison and you buried in a mass grave?

Just as some think or believe fear controls us, Death comes to us all and do I not fear that to those Americans in past years to the present who faced it cower when the freedom and Honor is required do not turn tail and run.... So fair weathered believers or diplomatic people you would only Endanger those who stand and need not apply... today or ever. This is how I view it while one would not comply and chooses to do gandi thing and who sit behind bars eventually peace comes..... just as to those who chose freedom over as it just comes sooner.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 12:45:17 PM »

Just as some think or believe fear controls us, Death comes to us all and do I not fear that to those Americans in past years to the present who faced it cower when the freedom and Honor is required do not turn tail and run.... So fair weathered believers or diplomatic people you would only Endanger those who stand and need not apply... today or ever. This is how I view it while one would not comply and chooses to do gandi thing and who sit behind bars eventually peace comes..... just as to those who chose freedom over as it just comes sooner.

You're right.  Death comes to us all, eventually.  Why hasten its coming?

You suggest those who would pursue diplomatic solutions are "fair weathered".  My point, with this thread, was to suggest exactly the opposite.  Perhaps those willing to sacrifice 20 or 30 years in jail are making a bigger sacrifice than those who would readily die for a cause.  This discussion is meant to broaden our thinking not attack one particular viewpoint or another. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:47:21 PM by Mudinyeri »

A-FIXER

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
You then believe that after 20-30 yrs that you'll get out because someone will care that you once owned firearms and instead of turning them over (which they did anyhow) by yourself. And if you have a desire to warm a cot in a cell be the greater sacrifice so be it. And as I read you must be the debater and think all can be over come by words, good luck with that, then why if you do carry concealed?

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 02:09:48 PM »
You then believe that after 20-30 yrs that you'll get out because someone will care that you once owned firearms and instead of turning them over (which they did anyhow) by yourself. And if you have a desire to warm a cot in a cell be the greater sacrifice so be it. And as I read you must be the debater and think all can be over come by words, good luck with that, then why if you do carry concealed?

I don't necessarily believe that *I* (or anyone else) would get out (we're speaking in hypotheticals). 

Have you even read everything that I've written in this thread?  It would appear that you've missed some fairly pertinent information. 

Offline JeremyP

• Powder Benefactor
    • CFEGames
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »
Fighting back like Ghandi or MLK is a decent concept, but it would take too long.
Liberals would never acknowledge over-crowded jails or prisons nor extremely high costs of feeding and housing "criminal-protesters" who refused to hand over their guns.

Is there anything that State legislatures can do to prevent such things from getting so out-of-hand?

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 06:06:31 PM »
"cold dead hands" and "to my last bullet" are not things supported by anti-gun people and hard for pro-gun people to support. Either will most likely end badly.  Waiting at your door with an ultimatum will most likely end badly.

Although I believe the statistics are manipulated, there also appears to be a case where the greater number of pro-gun people will sit and wait. They will compromise to common sense solutions only to find precious ground has been given after the dust has settled. Once a law-maker has placed control on something with a law, they have do further purpose than to look for something else to control.

It is important to take peaceful action now.  We all know that there is no such thing as a "assault" firearm. At the very least, the millions of "military style" firearms we own are not used for any form of assault. What sort of assault does Law Enforcement do with their semi-automatic rifles? Control of magazine capacity is simply ignorant. Exactly how many rounds should you be allowed for your own self-defense before your life doesn't merit another round or more? Pro-gun representatives are unable to speak to why the average person should have a semi-automatic firearm or why a limit of ammunition capacity has any meaning. All the average people know is what the media and politicians throw at them.

We need to contact politicians, media and everyone else we know and educate them or at least let them know we are smarter and more active than they realize. When someone says you don't need a certain style of firearm, ammunition or quantity of those items, be prepared with "Yes, I do need those items". "I am not a problem with those items".

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 06:15:57 PM »
What I failed to mention above it that we should be driving the statistics.  Although it appears the media has their own statistics...where is ours? Where is the venue to make these figures public? Everything suggests that gun owners exist in large numbers but others are taking more action to eliminate gun owners (by eliminating guns...not the owners...as far as I know).

A-FIXER

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 06:19:16 PM »
This discussion is meant to broaden our thinking not attack one particular viewpoint or another. 

Perhaps that if one disagrees is it considered an attack? As far a veiwpoints would it seem that if all parties do not have the same like thought then its taken out of context I watched and do watch glen beck he has his view weather his thoughts change my mind or not is up to me. I know you did not write the ''Fight Gun Control Like Ghandi'' I am making a statement if you do not like it then its ok, but its my view,

I probably lean more in the non-Gandhi direction by nature, but I think the Gandhi approach has considerable merit.

Yes I read this

Have you even read everything that I've written in this thread?  It would appear that you've missed some fairly pertinent information. 

I guess I'll assume as to what you said.... between the lines.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 12:01:36 PM »
Gandhi or armed resistance?  The answer is... both, and timing plays a role.  Try it the nice way 1st, it's far more efficient and bloodless.. hopefully.

I'm convinced a New Yorker (ideally a minority female veteran w/ kids, etc. you get the point) in a public place in NY with a slung AR-15 and the stars & stripes planted behind them will make a gigantic point.  Don't say a word, give them nothing you've made your point.  Sit there until they change the laws or make you move.  Another willing patriot will replace them.  Will they kill said patriot?  I don't think they have the menards, but freedom can be dangerous.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.