< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha police defuse 3 bombs in 1 at Memorial Park  (Read 744 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Omaha police defuse 3 bombs in 1 at Memorial Park
« on: January 17, 2013, 06:54:18 PM »
http://www.omaha.com/article/20130117/NEWS/130119659/1685

Mostly it's been short AP blurbs about it... this seemed to have the most info from what I gathered.

Does anyone know anything more about this ?

It's a "bomb", but they aren't sure how it was supposed to be detonated ?  And was some kind of possible multi-stage ? I'm confused.

I'm glad that whatever it was... was "disarmed" safely ... but... uhmmmmmm ??

This story just leaves all kinds of '??' everywhere.  I dunno if it's FUD, or 3 cheers for LEO.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Omaha police defuse 3 bombs in 1 at Memorial Park
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:40:26 AM »
PVC?  A bomb inside a bomb inside a bomb?  Sounds odd.  It's Memorial Park - maybe it's just a leftover from the 4th of July fireworks.  ???

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 12:42:34 PM »
PVC?  A bomb inside a bomb inside a bomb?  Sounds odd.  It's Memorial Park - maybe it's just a leftover from the 4th of July fireworks.  ???

That was my thinking... some idiot trying to improvise a firework... and the fuse is long gone or something.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:03:29 AM »
I suspect that the maker of that  "bomb" knew that PVC doesn't offer much resistance to an explosive so he surrounded the inner bomb with two outer ones to increase the blast strength.   OR, depending on how he fused it, he may have thought he was producing a staged bomb where the out bomb compresses the inner bomb, delaying its  burst to create a high blast pressure..  It didn't go off but he was too scared of it to go investigate so he just left it. ?? :-\

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 02:22:11 PM »
All in all, I'll re-iterate that I'm glad no one was hurt, and express weird skepticism.