Gear & Equipment > Knives and cutting tools

Everyday Carry Knife

(1/7) > >>

bk09:
Well I have access to Benchmade knives at 55% off retail and want a knife for everyday carry. If I remember right the blade has to be 3.5" or less in Nebraska, correct me if I am wrong, but I am leaning towards something that's about 3". I was thinking about the 470 Emissary but after finding a review where the guy had 2 weeks of use there was already some noticeable wear on the grey finish, so I would prefer a durable finish. I also like blades with a decent point to it (for example I don't like the 483 Shori).It will mainly be used for cutting tape on gun boxes at Cabela's and whatever other use I can think of (probably won't use an expensive knife as a screwdriver though). Anybody have experience with Benchmades and have any recommendations for me?

Famous556:
I EDC a Benchmade mini griptilian.  It is about 3" and very useful.  I find myself using it about 2-3x a day minimum.  The model I have is 556SBK.   It's a very solid little knife and the lock is second to none.  Easy to flip open one handed too if you pull the lock tab back the blade will swing freely.  I don't have any other experience with Benchmade knives but I can speak to the quality of mine.

I would suggest getting one with the half-serration blade.  I find myself using the serrated part more than the regular edge.

Neeco:
I EDC a Kershaw, and have used it far more than I thought I would.  Now that I know I would actually USE something that cost a bit more, I am seriously debating a CQC-6 or 7.

I may need to look at a few Benchmades a little closer now...  8) :o

gigabelly:
A friend of mine gave me a great knife for Christmas.  I didn't think too much about it but knew it was more than I would have paid for a EDC knife.  Then, I lost it.  I dug around on the internet using the only name I remember seeing.  Hinderer.  Holy Crap! The cheapest I can find them are $750.  Maybe cheaper in early bidding, but some were up over a Grand.  Now I dream about that knife.  I lost it, I think, on 48th and Lexington while delivering rain barrels.  I went and looked around the areas I was in, made some phone calls, looked everywhere but it is gone.
Now I know why people invest in a quality knife.  There was such a nice heft to it and the blade quality was miles above the cheap-o varieties I have used in the past. 
The closest knife that is even remotely cheaper is the Zero Tolerance with the Hinderer locking mechanisms.  $300.  That is still outta my budget for a knife.  It was a great gift but when I told this story to my wife, she says: "why would he give you such an expensive gift that is so easily lost?  Has he never seen your garage?!"  That was nice....

Neeco:

--- Quote from: gigabelly on January 24, 2013, 07:55:38 AM ---A friend of mine gave me a great knife for Christmas.  I didn't think too much about it but knew it was more than I would have paid for a EDC knife.  Then, I lost it.  I dug around on the internet using the only name I remember seeing.  Hinderer.  Holy Crap! The cheapest I can find them are $750.  Maybe cheaper in early bidding, but some were up over a Grand.  Now I dream about that knife.  I lost it, I think, on 48th and Lexington while delivering rain barrels.  I went and looked around the areas I was in, made some phone calls, looked everywhere but it is gone.
Now I know why people invest in a quality knife.  There was such a nice heft to it and the blade quality was miles above the cheap-o varieties I have used in the past. 
The closest knife that is even remotely cheaper is the Zero Tolerance with the Hinderer locking mechanisms.  $300.  That is still outta my budget for a knife.  It was a great gift but when I told this story to my wife, she says: "why would he give you such an expensive gift that is so easily lost?  Has he never seen your garage?!"  That was nice....

--- End quote ---

Hinderers are top notch, my friend.  Pitty you lost it!  I have seen a few go for more than 5k. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version