< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: RCBS Supreme Master Kit  (Read 5116 times)

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
Re: RCBS Supreme Master Kit
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 09:45:27 AM »
Shell holder shouldn't be a problem.

Dies might be (a problem that is).

If you get Lee dies, they come with a shell holder, and yes it'll work in your RCBS press.

If you're doing pistol, definitely for sure get tungsten dies so you can skip lube.  What was used at the clinic was tungsten.

And you'll find you'll be shooting a lot more once ya start loading your own :)

For primers, Guns Unlimited in Omaha should have Winchester primers, and possibly CCI.   GU also had the MTM digital scale.

Rifle and 9mm powders will undoubtedly be quite different - rifle will be slower burning, pistol faster etc... so prolly own't find overlap.

Shell holder and die sets are sold out everywhere I have searched, including obscure internet stores...

If anyone has a lead on 9mm or .223 dies/holders, I would be willing to trade anything I have (which isn't much) or would prefer to buy outright.

I will talk with GU about the primers and what not.  Thanks!

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 12:27:01 PM »
I will talk with GU about the primers and what not.  Thanks!

SFG has informed me that GU is possibly out of primers at the moment.  A few weeks ago they had boxes and boxes and boxes lol.

Give'em a call first, if you're far away.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 12:54:49 PM »
SFG has informed me that GU is possibly out of primers at the moment.  A few weeks ago they had boxes and boxes and boxes lol.

Give'em a call first, if you're far away.

They had primers earlier this AM and a 9mm die set.  Headed there now.  Is there someone I should talk to specifically?

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »
its been an hour, i'm possibly too late.

just get proper primer sizes (and magnum or not) and go for it.

the rcbs/hornady dies will be tungsten.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 02:17:17 PM »
its been an hour, i'm possibly too late.

just get proper primer sizes (and magnum or not) and go for it.

the rcbs/hornady dies will be tungsten.

Not to late, just got done eating. Going now, haha.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 02:40:04 PM »
Discussion re:

proper primer sizes (and magnum or not)

During the Last Obama Election-Induced Shooting Stuff shortage (early 2009), many reloaders who couldn't find Small Pistol Primers anywhere were using Small Magnum (yes....oxymoron) Piston Primers in place of WSPs, as specified in the reloading manual.

They reduced their powder charges down toward the left end of the load ranges, say from 4.0gr to maybe....3.5gr.   Pop in a WSM primer and go.

Anybody with fingers left who has ever done so and wishes to share the results???
[It's OK to tell about A Guy You Know Who Did It.]

sfg
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 02:42:42 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 03:13:17 PM »
Discussion re:

During the Last Obama Election-Induced Shooting Stuff shortage (early 2009), many reloaders who couldn't find Small Pistol Primers anywhere were using Small Magnum (yes....oxymoron) Piston Primers in place of WSPs, as specified in the reloading manual.

They reduced their powder charges down toward the left end of the load ranges, say from 4.0gr to maybe....3.5gr.   Pop in a WSM primer and go.

Anybody with fingers left who has ever done so and wishes to share the results???
[It's OK to tell about A Guy You Know Who Did It.]

sfg

GU has primers.  Picked up 1000 of WSP and WSR.   But no dies.  Anyone want to rent me a set? Hahaha

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 08:11:16 PM »
GU has primers.  Picked up 1000 of WSP and WSR.   But no dies.  Anyone want to rent me a set? Hahaha

As it turns out, I was handed MAGNUM WSP primers.  Anyone want to trade for standard WSP?

I swear I can't win...

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 08:45:58 PM »
i can swap ya a box of winchester standard pistol primers for the magnum pistol primers if ya like.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 09:58:09 PM »
WSPs vs.  WSPMs

Don'tcha wish Winchester would come up with some distinctly different graphics for different primers??

Primer mixup happens a lot.   An awful lot.   Especially when the primers are held behind the counter in retail stores.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
Anyone have experience with the Rainer 115gr LeadFree Jacketed Round Nose bullets?

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 04:08:41 PM »
Anyone have experience with the Rainer 115gr LeadFree Jacketed Round Nose bullets?

No particular experience myself.

The 'lead free' is a misnomer, it is indeed lead.  Rainier bullets suggest loading them as if they were lead only (not jacketed).  I've had no problems in doing so with berry's bullets or even pushing them faster / hotter.

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 12:34:26 AM »
So, I was able to pick up everything else I need to start reloading. 

Got a pound of Power Pistol and a pound of IMR 8208-XBR.

Also found some 60gr SP Hornady .223 bullets. 

Anyone have any experience with anything listed?  Specifically, whether or not you like the powders I have purchased to test out.

Again, I am new to this so I don't have any preconceived notions about ANY powders. I was just happy to find some to start working up some loads.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 05:43:22 PM »
You have the tools.  You have the materials.  You have the reloading book(s).

Start building up loads yourself and form your own opinion!

Can you get consistent holes in paper with your given primer/powder/bullet/rifle combo ... preferably at a velocity / charge you prefer ?

If you can, then yay!

You're going to undoubtedly consume all of your given powder (just so you get your money's worth).  IMR 8208-XBR is a thermally stable powder so you'll probably enjoy it and would probably make a decent hunting load powder (where it might be freezing out etc).

Just a co-instructor reminder: make sure your 223 primers are seated deep enough. They should be at least a little shallow from the case head.  AR15's with their floating firing pin can have an issue with slam fires if your primers aren't seated deep enough.  This doesn't mean you need to crush the primer within the brass, but they should be recessed a bit :).

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »
You have the tools.  You have the materials.  You have the reloading book(s).

Start building up loads yourself and form your own opinion!

Can you get consistent holes in paper with your given primer/powder/bullet/rifle combo ... preferably at a velocity / charge you prefer ?

If you can, then yay!

You're going to undoubtedly consume all of your given powder (just so you get your money's worth).  IMR 8208-XBR is a thermally stable powder so you'll probably enjoy it and would probably make a decent hunting load powder (where it might be freezing out etc).

Just a co-instructor reminder: make sure your 223 primers are seated deep enough. They should be at least a little shallow from the case head.  AR15's with their floating firing pin can have an issue with slam fires if your primers aren't seated deep enough.  This doesn't mean you need to crush the primer within the brass, but they should be recessed a bit :).

Thanks for the info! 

I need to get started on loading. Ha!  I just need time. 

I'll be sure to check the primers on the .223

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 08:08:19 PM »
I'll be sure to check the primers on the .223

Set primed empty brass primer down on / case mouth up on something that is ultra flat.

The brass should be stable and not rock / pivot / etc at all.  Basically, if the primer aint seated deep enough and is protruding just a little bit, it'll be wonky.  You can use this as well as the 'finger pad feel' method.

CD jewel cases do pretty well, possibly even an old cd.  Avoid something that might have slight deviations like wood grain etc.  Ya want mirror flat and not warped at all.

Do note that sometimes the case heads of brass do get bent just a lil or something similar that might make this test a little weird... just keep an eye out and use common sense and err on side of safety.