< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cleaning Brass  (Read 1131 times)

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
Cleaning Brass
« on: January 28, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »
I typically clean my brass in a tumbler for about an hour with Lyman Corn Cob media, and then another hour with nutshell media.

I've noticed after handling a lot of shells, my fingers will be black with powder residue. This indicates to me that the brass isn't getting completely clean.

Do you guys suggest changing media, running longer, an additive, or just living with it?

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Cleaning Brass
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:47:58 PM »
If the brass is clean, as in shiny and no caked on stuff, it's done it's job. 

If you look on the insides of your vibratory brass, you'll see it's usually black inside their anyway.

I usually do use an additive with my vibrating / tumble media.  Don't recall what I'm using right now.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline pfinn

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »
Thanks. Its always clean to the eye... so sounds like its clean enough.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 07:28:51 PM »
pfinn   [and All Other Reloading Brothers.......]

That black stuff is mostly from the primer pockets and the insides of the cartridge cases.

But.........some of it is lead.    Vibratory tumblers are hotspots for accumulating lead residue.

So---all the usual lead-avoidance precautions apply when handling post-tumbled brass cases.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer