< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Help New York fight their "assault weapons" ban  (Read 780 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Help New York fight their "assault weapons" ban
« on: January 29, 2013, 08:51:47 PM »
The New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, in cooperation with several other organizations, has filed suit to overturn the ban that just passed there a few days ago.  Here's a link to the donation page - please help them out!  If this ban can be overturned it will set a major precedent for the rest of the country.

https://www.kintera.org/AutoGen/Simple/Donor.asp?ievent=1033969&en=5eIIIOOjF9LDJKPvFaLBJOMpEgLMKKMnEaLNKYNzEnKVJ7K

and here's an article about the suit:

http://online.wsj.com/article/APdd33997445624680886e79b5bd351a4e.html

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Help New York fight their "assault weapons" ban
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 08:12:14 AM »
New York is the tip of the spear.  I have several friends that live in the state.  Things are already getting ugly.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:47:25 AM »
New Yorkers are resisting ...

Preparations are already being made for mass resistance. “I’ve heard from hundreds of people that they’re prepared to defy the law, and that number will be magnified by the thousands, by the tens of thousands, when the registration deadline comes,’’ said President Brian Olesen with American Shooters Supply, among the biggest gun dealers in the state, in an interview with the New York Post.

Even government officials admit that forcing New Yorkers to register their guns will be a tough sell, and they are apparently aware that massive non-compliance will be the order of the day. “Many of these assault-rifle owners aren’t going to register; we realize that,’’ a source in the Cuomo administration told the Post, adding that officials expect “widespread violations” of the new statute.

Complete article here: http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/14322-gun-owners-refuse-to-register-under-new-york-law

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
Can y
New York is the tip of the spear.  I have several friends that live in the state.  Things are already getting ugly.
Can you elaborate a bit? By ugly, do you just mean that their state is getting heavier handed?

Are they just not going to register in defiance, or are they going to get together with their rifles and hold a rally after the deadline?

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:01:44 AM »
I just read the complete article, makes more sense.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 12:18:11 PM »
I just read the complete article, makes more sense.

As you probably gleaned from the article, there are quite a few New York residents who have no intention of registering or getting rid of banned firearms.  Additionally, several of my friends have indicated that county officials are saying they simply don't have the manpower to undertake what the state saddled them up to do.  And then, you have the New York Sheriffs' Association basically saying they won't enforce a significant portion of the law.

Can you say, "tinder box"?