< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bullet Hole  (Read 3874 times)

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
Bullet Hole
« on: February 02, 2013, 07:04:07 PM »
Heard on KETV that there was a suicide at 1500 hrs on 2-2.  Nothing on their or other media's website.  Tragic.

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
Re: Bullet Hole
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
KLKN 8 Lincoln

http://www.klkntv.com/story/20943807/one-man-dead-after-shooting-at-a-shooting-range

By: Channel 8 Newsroom
8@klkntv.com

One man is dead after a shooting at an Omaha Gun range.

The Sarpy County Sheriff's Office said the incident happened at the Bullet Hole Shooting Range in LaVista.

The initial investigation shows that the man died due to a self-inflicted gun shot wound.

The investigation will continue to determine if the shooting was intentional or accidental

66bigblock

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:16:52 PM »
Isn't that twice over there? Not good for business.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 10:21:41 PM »
That is terrible. Not just for him, either.  Now they're gonna look for a way to use this incident against all of us.  I am sorry if that seems insensitive, but we know gun grabbers don't care and will stand on the warm bodies of dying children to push their agenda, and this will be no different.

My condolences to the mans family and the bullet hole.
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 10:57:59 PM »
This issue was discussed [very informally] at the NRA Range Conference in San Diego, CA in October.

Seems that for many indoor shooting ranges, about every 3-4 years, a customer comes in, rents a handgun, shoots it for a while, and then........well---you know.

Some ranges now do not rent handguns to loners who walk in to rent-and-shoot.   Want to rent a gun??   Then bring a shooter-buddy.    For whatever mysterious reason, folks will not shoot themselves with a companion along.   Instead, they do it as loners.    Various theories on this aspect.

To cope, the ranges insist on renting only to two or more shooters.

Go figger.

sfg
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:53:03 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline NebraskaGunner

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:12:08 PM »
While I'm not quite sure where I stand on this (I think suicide is a cowards act and yes I have had friends commit the act) I can appreciate the fact that he started and stopped with his own life rather then take innocent people with him like many others do.  Thoughts and prayers, but hell, don't expose others to this heinous act.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:25:33 AM »
It would seem very odd for someone to go the BH to commit suidice, really makes no sense.

Given how people handle firearms in there, and the number of new shooters, I think this was accidental.  Thank god he didnt shoot someone else on accident though.

The name of that place is very fitting.  There are bullet holes in the ceiling, in the floor, on the walls, behing the shooting line, in the stall dividers.  Unrelated but interesting I've seen holes out the back of the building.

Not the BH's fault at all.  The deaths and inuries are extremely rare given the nmber of people that go there.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:27:43 AM by skydve76 »

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 10:34:40 AM »
skydve76....as I mentioned in my post, I think this is the second suicide at the BH.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »
It would seem very odd for someone to go the BH to commit suicide, really makes no sense.

Given how people handle firearms in there, and the number of new shooters, I think this was accidental.  Thank god he didnt shoot someone else on accident though.

The name of that place is very fitting.  There are bullet holes in the ceiling, in the floor, on the walls, behind the shooting line, in the stall dividers.  Unrelated but interesting I've seen holes out the back of the building.

Not the BH's fault at all.  The deaths and injuries are extremely rare given the nmber of people that go there.

Yes there are bullet strikes everywere on the range, strange thing is nobody ever comes up to the front desk and admits to damaging our property. There are not bullet holes out of the back wall. There is no possible way for a projectile to exit the building from the range. The walls are concrete block filled with sand.

The video and physical evidence proves this incident to be suicide not accidental. This person also used their own gun not a rental. As to why someone would come to an indoor range and use their own weapon to commit public suicide, who the hell knows. Why would the Ralston VFD Chief hang himself on a public bridge in view of Dodge street? Why would someone want to make a public spectacle of their death? I guess you would have to ask a psychiatrist.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 04:41:11 PM »
Sincerest condolences go out to the guy's family, the workers at the Bullet Hole, any customers present at the time, and emergency responders :(.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 05:30:23 PM »
skydve76....as I mentioned in my post, I think this is the second suicide at the BH.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Second at that location and there was one that I know of at the previous location. 

Unrelated but interesting I've seen holes out the back of the building.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Unrelated but interesting I've seen holes out the back of the building.
Doubtful that there are holes out the back, it's the ones in the ceiling directly above the shooter, and the one stall wall that has a hole in it that keep me away. Maybe that fixed that as it was quite a while ago.

Offline Jeepguy

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 07:04:19 AM »
My condolences go out to all involved in this. It is definitely a tragedy.
Now I am curious about NFOA's stance on training for people using gun ranges. A couple weeks ago many on this site were ready to crucify the guy from 88 Tactical who suggested safety training for gun buyers might be appropriate, and now some seem to be dogging the Bullet Hole because untrained people use the range to actually shoot the guns they bought without getting any training. As long as untrained people use guns bullets are going to end up in unintended places. It will be interesting to see what people suggest for solutions to this apparent paradox.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 07:44:14 AM »
There is no paradox. I will admit my reaction to the 88 Tactical position was more visceral than I'd have liked. However, there is a huge difference between suggesting "safety training for gun buyers might be appropriate," as you put it, and 88 Tactical's statement in favor of state mandated training.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 11:57:22 PM »
Well if it was a suicide I stand corrected.  But not too hard to believe it was accidental.

Very strange thing to do, many more ways to make a spectacle of it. 

Re: Holes out the back.

I seen holes in the loading dock door punctured outwards,  later they were fixed.  Could of been something else,but not that it would be hard for some dumbass to bring in FMJ 308 and do that.

My point is not the BH has any issues but that they tend to attract newer shooters with no common sense.

The guys there do a great job enforcing rules and the only way to do it better would be to put an RO in the stalls, not very feasible.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 09:04:59 AM »
I seen holes in the loading dock door punctured outwards,  later they were fixed.  Could of been something else,but not that it would be hard for some dumbass to bring in FMJ 308 and do that.

Have you ever been all the way back to the end of the range?  It would have to penetrate the trap plus like Shawn said the concrete block wall filled with sand.  Isn’t going to happen short of using something like a .50BMG.