< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Walnut media now sticking inside cases - thoughts ?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Larry.K

• NFOA Full Member
Walnut media now sticking inside cases - thoughts ?
« on: January 27, 2013, 02:19:20 PM »
Hello to all, this is my first posting.  I've been reloading for last couple of years, using Frankford Arsenal tumbler and ground walnut media from local pet store.  For the first time ever, now about a dozen or so small media granules are sticking (like static electricity?) inside the various cases, have never had this problem before.  I don't introduce any kind of cleaner or liquid into the media nor use any cloth or dryer sheets, and this instance occurred on the 2nd tumble of newly poured media when I changed out the old media.  Nothing different about temp or humidity where I do my hobbying.  Its remotely possible the cases may have had some minute dampness as I went from a very cold range a week or so ago, to my cold trunk ride home and then right into the tumbler upon arrival.  Even if I give the brass a sharp tap on something, it does not dislodge the remaining clinging media bits.  Anybody seen this before and have any thoughts on how to proceed?
NRA, SAF, GOA & NTF Life Members, amateur extra AD0LS

To Liberals/Progressives, logic is not a viable option.  Being emotional is all that counts.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Walnut media now sticking inside cases - thoughts ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »
So--------

Just outa curiousity.........

If you do happen to have what seems to be a static electricity problem,

Why not try dryer sheets???

And see if doing so reduces/eliminates the problem.

Probably won't hurt the media or the cartridge cases.

Chances are, the new media is considerably drier than the old stuff, therefore more susceptible to static electricity.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:42:16 PM »
Use a pointy tool to reach some of the stuck media and try to move it.

If the media simply moves and sticks to a different place, then appears to be a static issue and laying the brass on a grounded surface should remove the surface charge and allow the media to drop away.

If the media is dislodged and falls out of place, most likely moisture from condensation of the cold brass caused media to stick and all will need to be phsically removed. Maybe as simple as de-prime, wash in soapy water and rinse then air dry or bake in a low oven temp. Future loads, let the brass get to room temp and dry (since it might get condensation from warming up) before tumbling.

For my cleaning, I wash range brass (as some of it might be quite dirty. Then de-cap with a Lee universal de-cap. Run the brass through a rock tumbler with stainless steel pins with a couple teaspoons of Dawn detergent, a couple .45 cases full of Lemi-Shine (another dish cleaning product) and water. The cases are pretty well cleaned and even the primer pockets get reasonble clean (better than tumble cleaning and de-cap or can be cleaner with longer run in the pins). Cases tumble for 30 to 45 minutes and are rinsed and set out to dry. The brass is more of a satin finish than a polish, but feed/fire just fine. Advantage is eliminating the dust from dry tumbling...some really nasty stuff is released in the dust.  Have read accounts of lead contamination in work areas and even blood levels of people handling dry tumble materials.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »
Adding cut up dryer sheets will remove static and dust from your tumbling media.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 05:12:27 PM »
Just a note, it's also winter time... central heat will remove moisture from the air, increasing static problems all across the board.  Have this problem at work (embedded computer stuffs), and have noted it at home with powder sticking to drop tubes etc.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 05:13:27 PM »
some really nasty stuff is released in the dust.  Have read accounts of lead contamination in work areas and even blood levels of people handling dry tumble materials.

The lead-in-tumbler-media situation does not get enough attention within the reloading fraternity.

But in either the Speer or Lee reloading manual, one of the writers [Rich Lee, I think], mentions a known case where a reloader came down with lead poisoning.   Everything was checked.   Last item checked was the tumbler and the media.   Which turned out to be the primary cause.

Keep the lid on that tumbler while it is running.   Don't handle media w/your hands.

It's no biggie to get blood lead levels checked at every annual physical.   Just tell your doc.   It's a very good idea.   Lead poisoning onsets at 40 micrograms/deciliter.   Lower in the Little Kiddies.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:24:05 AM »
I'd bet on moisture in the cases from what you described. Cold things in warm places tend to do that.

To cut down on lead risks that SFG describes I always wear nitrile gloves when handling cases that come out of the tumbler. They go from the tumbler to the depriming / sizing die with Hornady One Shot spray lube. My final step in case prep is to run them through the Hornady Magnum sonic cleaner. Not only does it get remaining dirt and lube off but the primer pockets get perfectly clean as well. Any remaining lead residue is washed off during cleaning and even more so when rinsing them after. I am not a fan of wearing the nitrile gloves when priming so I want the brass to be as clean as possible before handling. I do wear the gloves when loading though as the bullets are open base with exposed lead and there is sure to be lead residue on the bullets.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:26:26 AM by 00BUCK »