< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Army Ranger 1st LT Michael Behenna was Sentenced to 25 Years  (Read 1220 times)

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Army Ranger 1st LT Michael Behenna was Sentenced to 25 Years
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:09:32 PM »
http://www.defendmichael.com/

"On March 20th, 2009, Army Ranger 1st Lieutenant Michael Behenna was sentenced to 25 years in prison for killing Ali Mansur, a known Al Qaeda operative while serving in Iraq. Mansur was known to be a member of an Al Qaeda cell operating in the lieutenant’s area of operation and Army intelligence believed he organized an attack on Lt. Behenna’s platoon in April 2008 which killed two U.S. soldiers and injured two more. Army intelligence ordered the release of Mansur and Lt. Behenna was ordered to return the terrorist to his home.
During the return of Mansur, Lt. Behenna again questioned the Al Qaeda member for information about other members of the terrorist cell, and financial supporters. During this interrogation, Mansur attacked Lt. Behenna, who killed the terrorist in self-defense. The government subsequently prosecuted Lt. Behenna for premeditated murder.

Not only is this a miscarriage of justice on the behalf of Lt. Behenna, who was acting to prevent further loss of life in his platoon, it is demoralizing to the U.S. troops who continue to fight on behalf of the freedom and security of our nation. Whether it is U.S. border patrol agents, members of the armed forces, or FBI agents, no individual who is serving on the frontlines in the War on Terror should be so blatantly mistreated.

I'll trust and support one of our guys over Hajj any day. If you feel that this Soldier doesn't deserve what he's getting, I'd encourage you to support him. I donated.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
Re: Army Ranger 1st LT Michael Behenna was Sentenced to 25 Years
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 04:46:36 PM »
http://www.defendmichael.com/

I'll trust and support one of our guys over Hajj any day. If you feel that this Soldier doesn't deserve what he's getting, I'd encourage you to support him. I donated.

Racism is racist.

I don't "trust" anyone just because they happened to be born in a certain geographical location, speak a certain language, or wear a certain costume. And I don't automatically assume that the killing of a "foreigner" was righteous just because that individual at some previous time and location had a firearm and some ammunition.

And look, it isn't a matter of trusting a 'Murrican soldier or trusting an Iraqi. The principal witness against Behenna in the court martial was his battle buddy and accomplice in this murder--the guy who helped him to disfigure and conceal the body of his victim.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:49:31 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 05:01:09 PM »
Well, THAT sucks.
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »
I fell sorry for him

But i don't have enough Information about what actualy happened to decide right or worng here.
Was he convicted under the UCMJ. ?  If not why not ?

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:58:32 PM »
Convicted under the UCMJ, article 118.

From Wikipedia

Less than two weeks later Mansur was ordered released due to military intelligence having insufficient evidence to hold him any longer. Behenna's platoon was tasked with the return of Mansur to town as soon as possible. On May 16, while returning the prisoner to a checkpoint as ordered, Behenna and his platoon stopped at a bridge in the northern oil refinery town of Baiji and, with the help of his Iraqi interpreter nicknamed "Harry", tried to question Mansur on the April 21st attacks. According to the interpreter, "Lieutenant Behenna started talking with Ali Mansur and Sergeant Warner followed them. Behenna and Warner started taking off Ali Mansur's clothes with their knives. They then cut his handcuffs." Behenna ordered the detainee to sit, the interpreter said, adding that Behenna seemed to be keen to get information from the detainee regarding the IED attack on U.S. troops in April. Behenna asked the detainee several times: "What do you know you have to tell me." "Ali Mansur said I will talk to you but Lieutenant Behenna pulled trigger and killed him," the interpreter said, speaking in English. "Before we started the patrol, Lieutenant Behenna told Ali Mansur 'I will kill you'. I thought Lieutenant Behenna was trying to scare him. I did not think he would go through (with it)," the interpreter added. "I was standing 10 metres (yards) back during the shooting -- I could see everything even if it was getting dark -- and Sergeant Warner was next to me." Warner then "took the grenade from his pocket, pulled the safety ring, walked around and put the grenade under Ali Mansur's head. "Then they hid his clothes, and Behenna and Warner went back." Two U.S. soldiers from the same battalion as the accused also testified against Warner. Corporal Cody Atkinson said that Behenna and Warner, armed with a grenade, took Mohammed out of the vehicle and under the bridge.[10]
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:00:58 PM by sidearm1 »