< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 2013 Great Plains Sectional  (Read 4298 times)

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
Re: 2013 Great Plains Sectional
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 03:03:37 PM »
About $#*@ time! :)

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 10:24:43 PM »
For the Guru's, on some of those stages there are "non-disappearing" targets, what does that mean vs a disappearing target?

For example the swingers on stage 1, do they just swing out, swing back and forth?

Another are the drop turns on stage 7, if they are non-disappearing, once they turn do they stay presented? I ask this as opposed to last Sundays match where they turned and then went back.

Edit: So I actually read the rulebook, Section 9.9 somewhat cleared it up. So the drop turns, as shown, would stop with the target presented? Just curious.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:30:42 PM by camus »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 07:20:16 AM »
For the Guru's, on some of those stages there are "non-disappearing" targets, what does that mean vs a disappearing target?

For example the swingers on stage 1, do they just swing out, swing back and forth?

Another are the drop turns on stage 7, if they are non-disappearing, once they turn do they stay presented? I ask this as opposed to last Sundays match where they turned and then went back.

Edit: So I actually read the rulebook, Section 9.9 somewhat cleared it up. So the drop turns, as shown, would stop with the target presented? Just curious.

Well, no, not always.  :/

The targets we had this past match were disappearing in that after they had turned and presented themselves, they would then turn again and not be available.  As such, if you missed them the first time, you didn't have a chance to re-engage them.  According to the rules, that makes them "disappearing" and thus misses on then accrued no penalty.

Stage designers have figured several ways around that, however.  One is, of course, just having the drop turners, when activated, turn once and stay facing the shooter.  Another one is that the drop turners act normally---but this time, when they turn back away from the shooter, the faces of the targets are still visible from an obscure, hard-to-reach, time-consuming area of the stage.

And that's what we have in this case---one of each.

For stage 5, the drop turner will appear just once---and when it goes back to where it started, you CAN still see it---but to do that you have to run all the way to the far left of the shooting area on the stage to shoot it, which will take a LOT of time, and be a fairly distant shot.

On stage 7, they are non-disappearing in that they will stay facing the shooting area after being activated.

(On stage 1, the swingers just keep swinging back and forth---no disappearing.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 11:19:26 AM »
There is still time to get registered for the sectional .  The fee is now up to $85.00.  If you want an awesome t-shirt, get it in ASAP!  We can't guarantee the proper size if I don't receive your registration by June 25th. 

We currently have over 100 shooters (including staff) coming out and shooting the match!  It will be a great time! :)

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 06:04:25 PM »
For this self squadding, do you have to squad yourself? I guess I asking if I should just randomly pick one or if I will just get assigned to one.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 09:42:38 PM »
For this self squadding, do you have to squad yourself? I guess I asking if I should just randomly pick one or if I will just get assigned to one.

You have to squad yourself.  You'll show up initially as unsquadded on the left, and you pick which squad you want to be on, and add yourself to that squad.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 10:58:35 PM »
If you know of someone you want to shoot with (or someone you want to avoid) just let us know and we might be able to help you squad if there are issues.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2013, 11:28:55 PM »
There is still time to get registered for the sectional!  Entry fees have, however gone up.  If you want a super cool t-shirt, I need the order (and money) by June 25th. :)

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 10:38:43 AM »
Okay, for those who are waiting to register for sectional, we are down to the last 5-6 slots available. If you want to shoot, I need your registration and fee ASAP!  Thanks!

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 11:20:30 AM »
I'm sure you already said this somewhere, but I can't find it.  How many shooter slots are there?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »
We're shutting it off at 99 competitors on Sunday.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »
We're shutting it off at 99 competitors on Sunday.

Hmmm...99.  That's an odd number (literally and figuratively).  I'm sure there is some good reason, but why not 100?  Inquiring (possibly OCD/CDO) minds want to know.

Fly

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »
Hmmm...99.  That's an odd number (literally and figuratively).  I'm sure there is some good reason, but why not 100?  Inquiring (possibly OCD/CDO) minds want to know.

9 squads.  :)

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 04:54:21 PM »
because 3 is a magical number - thus 9 is VERY magical and then 99 is EVEN MORE magical!! :)

well, no -- it's because of 9 squads :)

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 08:29:29 AM »
Only 7 slots left until Sectional is FULL!  If we fill up - we will not be accepting any walk-ins.  Registrations (on the USPSA self-squadding site) are up to date as of this morning.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 12:46:28 PM »
Just so folks get reminded, people are out at the range every day this week setting up the stages---and everyone is invited to come help out!

People are there from 7am until dark each day (we have to babysit the bays so no one comes in and shoots them) so anytime you can show up to help is good.

(Particular thanks to Tom Engel who has been there all day every day thus far this week, and will be continuing that the rest of the week.)

It is going to be quite a match---the stages look really good, with lots of variation in type.  If you haven't seen a USPSA match yet, you should come out on Sunday and watch some people shoot. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 08:14:32 PM »
Staff shot today (along with a couple of competitors) and boy is that a fun set of stages!  Lots of different things to think about and handle---requires a pretty diverse skillset.

[sigh]  And it is REALLY Open-Division-friendly.  Sherwyn and Nick are gonna stomp us.

Like I said before---if you want to see what USPSA is like, come on out tomorrow.  We'll have about 100 more competitors each shooting 9 stages tomorrow, so we'll be out there all day.  Shooting starts about 8am, and it'll run through the afternoon. Bring eye and ear protection, and some water, and take a look at how much fun it is!

(If you do, make sure to stop by stage 8 and say hello---I'm the CRO on that stage.)

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »
The 2013 GP Sectional is over. :)   

It was a great match with an amazing staff.  Thanks to everyone who helped out setting up the stages during the week and running the match over the weekend.  We had some great shooters out there and I think everyone had a great time.

I am personally glad, however, to have a few weeks off before working the Area 3 match in Grand Island the first weekend in August. 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 05:42:56 PM »
For those who read GunUp the Magazine or GunNuts Media, Caleb Giddings and Shelley Rae came out to shoot the Sectional this past weekend, and Caleb had some seriously good things to say both about our match, and about the club.

http://www.gunnuts.net/2013/07/08/match-aar-2013-uspsa-great-plains-sectional/

(Shelley is even shorter than Caleb is!  I didn't know that.  I know Caleb, and assumed that she MUST be taller.  First time I've met Shelley.)

A little under 130 shooters came for the match, and it went really smoothly.  For those who like to see how it went, results are available on the USPSA website at:

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=8590

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2013, 07:11:49 PM »
For those who like to see how it went, results are available on the USPSA website at:

No...NO I don't.

Fly
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:47:36 PM by OnTheFly »