< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anyone watching the the SOTU?  (Read 699 times)

Offline Neeco

• It is what it isn't...
  • Steel Benefactor
Anyone watching the the SOTU?
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:15:27 PM »
POTUS Just said that "they deserve a vote". 

What caught me off guard was that he only mentioned Background Checks and High Cap Mags.

NOTHING ABOUT "Assault Weapons".

Transcript found http://www.latinospost.com/articles/11926/20130212/state-union-2013-transcript-full-text-obamas.htm:

Of course, what I've said tonight matters little if we don't come together to protect our most precious resource - our children.

It has been two months since Newtown. I know this is not the first time this country has debated how to reduce gun violence. But this time is different. Overwhelming majorities of Americans - Americans who believe in the 2nd Amendment - have come together around commonsense reform - like background checks that will make it harder for criminals to get their hands on a gun. Senators of both parties are working together on tough new laws to prevent anyone from buying guns for resale to criminals. Police chiefs are asking our help to get weapons of war and massive ammunition magazines off our streets, because they are tired of being outgunned.
Each of these proposals deserves a vote in Congress. If you want to vote no, that's your choice. But these proposals deserve a vote. Because in the two months since Newtown, more than a thousand birthdays, graduations, and anniversaries have been stolen from our lives by a bullet from a gun.

One of those we lost was a young girl named Hadiya Pendleton. She was 15 years old. She loved Fig Newtons and lip gloss. She was a majorette. She was so good to her friends, they all thought they were her best friend. Just three weeks ago, she was here, in Washington, with her classmates, performing for her country at my inauguration. And a week later, she was shot and killed in a Chicago park after school, just a mile away from my house.
Hadiya's parents, Nate and Cleo, are in this chamber tonight, along with more than two dozen Americans whose lives have been torn apart by gun violence. They deserve a vote.
Gabby Giffords deserves a vote.
The families of Newtown deserve a vote.
The families of Aurora deserve a vote.
The families of Oak Creek, and Tucson, and Blacksburg, and the countless other communities ripped open by gun violence - they deserve a simple vote.
Our actions will not prevent every senseless act of violence in this country. Indeed, no laws, no initiatives, no administrative acts will perfectly solve all the challenges I've outlined tonight. But we were never sent here to be perfect. We were sent here to make what difference we can, to secure this nation, expand opportunity, and uphold our ideals through the hard, often frustrating, but absolutely necessary work of self-government.
We were sent here to look out for our fellow Americans the same way they look out for one another, every single day, usually without fanfare, all across this country. We should follow their example.

Offline BluejayLaw14

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Anyone watching the the SOTU?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 09:22:16 PM »
Yeah, I saw that.I was surprised he didn't bring up an AWB. But they had Feinstein on the screen, so I guess that counts.

Also, I caught the part where our "voting system needs work." I thought that was fairly obvious, since someone elected him.

Offline lneuke

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »
"Police chiefs are asking our help to get weapons of war and massive ammunition magazines off our streets, because they are tired of being outgunned."

Since when!?  ???  :laugh:

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »
"Police chiefs are asking our help to get weapons of war and massive ammunition magazines off our streets, because they are tired of being outgunned."

Since when!?  ???  :laugh:

LAPD doesn't have that problem  ::)
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:33:01 PM »
I did not watch him.  I do not have a strong enough stomach to watch him after he did this many years ago, running for president the first time.

I have nothing to do with him.

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 10:49:49 PM »
If police are "outgunned", then so is every other citizen of this country. A vote for gun control of any kind, limits of magazine capacity will only affect civilians and have no impact on criminals which are the root cause of the problem. Law will only affect law-abiding people. Law will not affect criminals.
I vote for choice of firearm, as much ammunition as I decide is necessary and the right to provide for my defense where government has failed and has no duty to provide for my protection.