< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gouging or supply and demand?  (Read 899 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Gouging or supply and demand?
« on: February 11, 2013, 07:58:32 PM »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: Gouging or supply and demand?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 12:45:44 AM »
I hope this rift passes by and things settle down.  Do I think it will?  A piece of me thinks these are the good ole days, and harder times are ahead.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:03:19 AM »
Meh. Are they charging what they can get? Sure. You can look at it and say they are only doing what the market will bare, but I am a part of the market and I am free to remember how various sellers acted when things were a bit nutty.

When things settle down, some sellers will have lost my business for good.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 12:32:34 PM »
I hope this rift passes by and things settle down.  Do I think it will?  A piece of me thinks these are the good ole days, and harder times are ahead.

IF this were 1994, just after the AWB, I'd agree.   But  now,  we have a GIANT fiscal problem to  contend with and a government that thinks they can spend their way to prosperity and are running the  printing presses 24/7 to prove it.   Even if ammo starts being widely available sometime in the future we'll probably think nothing of paying $1.25 per round for 9MM FHP ammo.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »
When things settle down, some sellers will have lost my business for good.
I certainly hope that CTD goes under once the craziness settles. $99 for one PMAG isn't even the worst of their misgivings.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
I certainly hope that CTD goes under once the craziness settles. $99 for one PMAG isn't even the worst of their misgivings.

So you would prefer seeing a "SOLD OUT" banner to seeing inventory that you can actually buy? Price increases are how you rationally react to shortages. Good for them. And good for us, too, because rising prices are what encourage entrepreneurs to enter this sector of the market with their capital and ultimately to satisfy the heretofore unsatisfied demand.

There is no such thing as a just price except whatever price is agreed upon between a willing buyer and a willing seller. CTD has no legal or moral duty to sell merchandise for less than what the market will bear, or to sell inventory at all for that matter. To suggest that there is something wrong with setting your own price on your own stuff is to give up so much ground to the commies that I hardly know what of importance is left.

I, for one, will continue to buy merchandise from them when they offer it at the best available price. They've reliably and promptly filled my orders for more than a decade, and that is the most important concern I have when buying stuff.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:58:24 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 07:24:51 PM »
There is no such thing as a just price except whatever price is agreed upon between a willing buyer and a willing seller. CTD has no legal or moral duty to sell merchandise for less than what the market will bear, or to sell inventory at all for that matter. To suggest that there is something wrong with setting your own price on your own stuff is to give up so much ground to the commies that I hardly know what of importance is left.

Spoken like a true libertarian economist :laugh:  I figure something's worth what somebody will pay for it.  Ebay is good sight for checking current prices for many items, although they are anal about firearms.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:56:22 PM »
That's the law of Supply and Demand, CitizenClark.     And,  right now, 50 rounds of  9mm 147 gr FHP is selling for $62.61, which includes freight to my door.   Those 50 rounds are what I will be using with ccw.   The rest of my 300 rounds of FMJ will be used to practice and  those casing  will join the 500 I  bought this morning from Amazon, which will be reloaded with my new Lee Classic Anniversary reloading kit.

They are working their hardest to commute the murderer I  helped convict and $62 is nothing compared to what it could cost me or my wife if I didn't have effective ammo, or any ammo at all.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 07:39:38 AM »
That's the first time I've seen anyone write a critique on Aquinas in a while, and I didn't expect it on the NFOA forum. :) I'm not a fan of Just Price theory, but I'm also not a fan of the behavior of CTD and others. Not because they are making more money than they should, but because I think they are perpetuating the panic buying with their actions.

I'm part of the invisible hand too, and I can account for more than price when making a purchase.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 08:44:13 AM »
Now that the proposed minimum wage will be $9/hour none of us will have reason to complain about these high prices.  Barack O Claus hath spoken.....