General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Smart Meters in Nebraska

<< < (4/5) > >>

Mudnrox:
Smart Meters
OPPD has AMR (Automatic Meter Reads) that will broadcast the reading for certain areas.
These are somewhat "smart" meters, but are not the ones that are mostly discussed or written about now.
They can't be used to shut off power or receive other commands.  They are also not smart sensing to broadcast when power is lost, etc.
Not sure on encryption, etc.

Smart meter's are costly and I don't think that Nebraska has quite the right incentives to get them installed.
Federal Grants and other subsidies may change that.

Smart meters do allow for better monitoring of power and overall grid monitoring to get better reliability and faster responses to outages. They can also help with troubleshooting outages to determine where a fault is.

Depending on the resolution of the reading, you can figure out when someone is home or not over a period of time.
You could also do this with several Wi-Fi and internet enabled smart thermostats.

Air-Conditioners
OPPD has an air-conditioner cycling program to help reduce peak demands.
There is a box installed on the outside of the house and it is used to cycle the power to the A/C.
It works similar to a pager and only receives a signal to turn off the A/C

Mudnrox:
I would be more worried about someone hacking your Wi-Fi enable cameras or lightly secured wireless router.

Also smart phones can be hacked too.

There are lots of easier ways to figure out if someone is home or not.

shovelhead69:

--- Quote from: Mudnrox on February 14, 2013, 08:46:18 PM ---I would be more worried about someone hacking your Wi-Fi enable cameras or lightly secured wireless router.

Also smart phones can be hacked too.

There are lots of easier ways to figure out if someone is home or not.

--- End quote ---

Just this month I had to go from basic internet to business because I kept using to much internet. Someone kept tapping in and using my connection. Tried all new passwords etc but no go so now I pay 125mo instead of 50$ Plus side, I can now download to my heart's content because I have unlimited usage.

A-FIXER:
This just needs to be nipped in the bud before it goes full bore.

rudy:

--- Quote from: shovelhead69 on February 16, 2013, 06:22:44 AM ---Just this month I had to go from basic internet to business because I kept using to much internet. Someone kept tapping in and using my connection. Tried all new passwords etc but no go so now I pay 125mo instead of 50$ Plus side, I can now download to my heart's content because I have unlimited usage.

--- End quote ---
What kind of encryption are you running on your wifi?  WEP, WPA, WPA2?  WEP is easily cracked in 10 minutes or less with the right equipment.  For cracking WPA a brute force attack trying lots of passwords is the only option, so if you use a password with random letters, numbers, and special characters, it is unlikely that it will be broken in any reasonable amount of time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version