< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun safes. How safe are they?  (Read 773 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Gun safes. How safe are they?
« on: February 16, 2013, 03:07:20 PM »
Here is a Defcon talk about gun locks and biometric gun safes.   I suggest starting it at the 5 minute mark to bypass a lot of useless talk.   Oh, ignore the foul language, the demos of defeating biometric gun safe locks  is interesting.

Do lawmakers even know what they are asking, or what they believe they are asking for?   Regulations requiring gun safes says more about the ignorance of the regulation makers than anything else.   The speaker gives the best advice for keeping children safe from guns at home: take them to the range and teach them how to handle and shoot guns safely.   It goes back to an old saying I used when ever I was told by a parent that education was too expensive.  "If you think education is expensive wait till you start paying for ignorance."

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Gun safes. How safe are they?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 04:06:15 PM »
Requiring people to keep their guns away from others is simply a method of passing responsibility so lawyers can increase their revenue trail.
Why isn't it enough that taking other people's stuff is a crime? How does criminal use of an item become different by where that item is obtained? Why do we need laws that make someone else a criminal or have to prove their innocence against criminal charges when a crime is comitted with their property?
There is some very obtuse thinking out in the legal world. I have even heard gun owners conceed that there should be legal responsibility to put firearms in a safe. It sounds like a fair concession until you find yourself indited and have to prove you have complied with the law or pay civil liability.
We have to understand the cost of assuming responsibilty.  It is better to let those determined to not follow the law pay the price and not expect those that follow the law leave themselves open to the actions of others.
Obviously, securing your firearms is a responsible action but mostly ensures your property stays your property.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »
FYI,
I purchased the Barska Biometric  gun safe:
http://www.amazon.com/Barska-AX11224-BARSKA-Biometric-Safe/dp/B002AQ0PFW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1361052786&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=baskra+biometric+gun+safe&tag=651998669-20

I am WELL PLEASED with  it.    I can  access the  gun  in about  3 seconds, silently.  BTW, my model, and I supposed most recent ones, allow the beeps to be turned off.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
The speaker gives the best advice for keeping children safe from guns at home: take them to the range and teach them how to handle and shoot guns safely.   It goes back to an old saying I used when ever I was told by a parent that education was too expensive.  "If you think education is expensive wait till you start paying for ignorance."

When I was a child ( a real long time ago :)), my dad had a 22lr revolver he kept loaded in his nightstand.  I knew how to shoot it, as well as the long guns he owned.  His was of the opinion, that an unloaded gun was worthless for protection.  Believe me, I knew it was there ( with extra ammo) but I was always aware that it wasn't a toy.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »
I do not care to own anything my finger can open, attached to me, or not attached to me.  If you get what I am saying.

A simple code could mean a lese tortures event, if the SHTF.