< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: IDPA & USPSA Matches (Big Shots - Lincoln)  (Read 3485 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
IDPA & USPSA Matches (Big Shots - Lincoln)
« on: January 09, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »
Sean Gewecke (Organizer for the Rock-Your-Glock competitions at Ike's) announced before the USPSA match at ENGC that Big Shots (399 Sun Valley Blvd, Lincoln, NE 68528) will be holding IDPA "style" matches on Tuesdays and USPSA "style" matches on Wednesdays. 

I called Big Shots and they confirmed it.  They don't have anything on their website that I can find, but their facebook (https://www.facebook.com/BigShotsRange) page talks about the matches. The first USPSA match is tonight, Wednesday January 9, 2013.

Hope to see you there.

Fly

ETA: Addition of "style" in my post.  These are not sanctioned IDPA or USPSA matches, but if I understand correctly, they are working towards that end.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:17:07 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: IDPA & USPSA Matches (Big Shots - Lincoln)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »
I think my Avatar says it all. 

I'm interested. 

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 05:20:52 PM »
We really need to hit these folks up as members.
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 09:03:13 PM »
So how'd the match go this evening?
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »
It went well.  Several new shooters that I think may have caught the USPSA bug.  I believe there were 12-18 shooters? Maybe more, but I didn't do a head count.  Many said they would be back and that they would bring friends next week.  They also heard from several of us about how much fun the matches are at ENGC.

No one shot themselves, others, the walls, ceiling, or floor. Shawn set up a nice three station stage.  For the first match, he had it quite well organized.  There are some issues to work through, but it could be a pretty fun program.

The stage had pseudo walls (tarps) that required you to engage only the targets in front of each of the three shooting areas.  This was necessary, not only for creating a challenge, but also because shooting at too much of an angle across the range would result in damaged walls.  At each of the three shooting areas, Shawn incorporated three USPSA style targets with one "no shoot" partially covering one of the targets.

On a side note...I mentioned earlier that I spoke with Jim of Big Shots before the match today and suggested that he might want to at least join the NFOA forum so they can get some more information out regarding their range and these leagues.  He had not heard of the NFOA, and it just donned on me that I should have taken some NFOA flyers, business cards or whatever else I could scrounge.  I think they would be quite receptive to supporting an organization that is fighting for gun rights which directly affects their bottom line.  I won't be around for next weeks matches, so if any other NFOA members are going to the range (for a match or otherwise) maybe they could drop off some information on the NFOA that could give our organization some more exposure.

Fly
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:51:41 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:44:15 AM »
I am on the IDPA team.  Last night we had 35 shooters which is up from the first two weeks.  It is growing.  We had our most challenging Course of Fire to date.  We are still getting our legs under us and are trying to follow the IDPA rule book as closely as possible, but they are changing the rule book and are leaving some ambiguity on certain issues.   If you are doing this, please bear with us, as we are all volunteers and last night spent 5 hours at the range so everyone can enjoy the sport. 

I think everyone enjoys the league.  It has been fun helping with it and if you haven't come out, do so.  We have to run everyone through so there can be a wait. Last night (1/23/13) we ran all 35 shooters through in 2 hrs 15 min.  The earlier you get there the earlier you can shoot and go home.  You don't have to be a member of Big Shots or the IDPA to shoot.  Expect to pay $10 to shoot or $5 if you are a member of Big Shots. 

When you do come through, say hello to me and identify yourself from the NFOA forum so I can put some faces with names/avatars.  I am one of the guys scoring your shots.

See ya on Tuesday!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:49:27 PM by gigabelly »
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:50:39 AM »
I cant believe I posted that. .
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:50:22 PM by gigabelly »
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
That was the first time that has happened in the league, and is definitely the LAST time it will happen with me. I will be using a different holster next week.

As they say, there are those that have, and those that will.

I shot the IDPA league last night for the first time. It was a fun time and a good learning experience. Some very different rules to this game as compared to USPSA.

One question I have in regards to handling of the firearm. In USPSA there are designated "Safe" areas where a shooter can handle their firearm, but NOT their ammo. Is there any such area/rule in IDPA? Some people were handling their firearm in the archery area and some were handling it inside the range wherever they set their bags down. I didn't want a DQ so I kept mine bagged until it was my turn to shoot and I was on the line. Some clarification on this might be helpful and make the match safer.

Another suggestion, as the organizers get things smoothed out, possibly a briefing explaining the do's & don'ts (e.g., safety related rules) and a match brief (with some of the IDPA rules) would be best conducted outside the range (archery area?). This would allow the large crowd to see and hear what the ROs are talking about.

I will only be able to make every other match, but I will be back.

Fly

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:39:33 AM »
Glad you came out.  You are correct about the handling of firearms and ammo.  We need to make that clearer on our briefings and the breifings should be held where we can hear one another.  Most just don't know.  I don't think loading your mags in the archery area is a problem, I could be wrong, but definitely not okay behind the line. That is ammo or firearms.  This was already brought  up in the emails this morning between the team members.  Several people reported it.  Even some of the "serious shooters" were seen doing it.  It is really just a problem with our communicating that rule.  We need to make a big board we can roll out on Tuesday nights with a list of dos and donts.  Do you think that would be a good idea?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:34:25 AM »
A sign would definitely help. Another suggestion I had is possibly only allowing the next 10-15 shooters in the range at a time? Not sure if Big Shots wants 20-25 shooters standing out in the archery area and/or store, but it would be a more "controllable" group. I think briefing outside of the range would be a good idea. People get inside the range and their mind immediately tells them it is ok to handle firearms.

In USPSA we can handle ammo anywhere except when we are in the "safe" area where we can handle unloaded guns only. Is IDPA similar? I should read the rules, but why do that when I have a walking talking rule book right here on the forum?  ;D

By the way, which one were you? I was the short guy who fumbled and dropped a full mag (procedural :'() and then had two more procedurals when I had my foot over two of the blue lines.

Fly
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:48:35 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »
I didn't read the section of the rules that covers that, if there is one.  The reason being that Cody, our fearless leader, addressed that issue at the outset of the first match, before I even received my rulebook so I accepted his direction. Also, the rule book is being changed by IDPA HQ so all of the rules are in question and we are directed to follow the Match Directors (Cody's) lead.

I am the guy who had on the black 5.11 vest counting bullet strikes, short hair.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »
I am the guy who had on the black 5.11 vest counting bullet strikes, short hair.

Black pants and black shirt too? I will try to introduce myself next time I make it to a match.  Are you (or anyone else following this thread) going to the USPSA match tonight?

Fly

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »
I might be interested in the IDPA, but cant do it tonight broke till next payday.
So bare with my noobish questions here, I did ask Jim (BigShots owner) the night you all started as me and my wife were in there buying our first hand guns, he did not know the exact answer.
what is the difference between the IDPA and USPSA? From what ive learned IDPA was formed for more tactical training of CCW permit holders.
Also are there restrictions on what gun we can use? I only have 1, M&P 9mm.
Cost for the league or to come and shoot?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 02:27:49 PM »
ETA: "No Shoots" explanation.

I am not an expert on either, so I will do my best to answer your questions.  I have shot several USPSA, but only one of the IDPA (last night). 

My Opinion
First and foremost...both IDPA and USPSA are games.  If you want training on how to handle yourself in the act of Self Defense (SD), there are a lot of instructors/schools who are active on this forum.  PM me and I can elaborate on my personal opinions.  Since most of us don't have the time and resources to take several SD classes each week, these matches are the next best thing.  With that said, ANY shooting that you do under stress, whether it be a SD class or at a match, is GOOD training.  Regarding IDPA being geared more for tactical training, I would say that is generally true.  You can wear your CC equipment just the way you normally would and the match could quickly identify what is a good/bad way for you to carry.  USPSA is less concerned with defensive shooting and it is more of a strategy game.  However, with both IDPA and USPSA, you must make a plan to work through the course as quickly as possible, and then when the timer goes off, try to stick to that plan.

Some Basic Rule Differences
Holsters: USPSA allows holsters worn on the strong side hip including race holsters, but not In the Waistband (IWB) holsters.  IDPA allows only basic belt or IWB holsters (strong side only) as long as they can be concealed by a cover garment.

Spare Magazines: USPSA allows you to have as many magazines as you want on your belt or in your pockets if you must; however, certain placement restrictions may apply depending on what division you are shooting.  Number of rounds loaded in the magazine are also predicated on what division you are shooting in.
IDPA allows one magazine in the gun, and two on the hip.  You can have extra magazines, but they must be kept in a pocket.  The rounds in the first magazine can total 11 so when you load and make ready you have ten in the magazine and one round in the gun.  The two spare mags on your belt can have ten each, and the other magazine(s) in your pocket can be loaded to capacity.

Dropping magazines:
In USPSA you are allowed to drop a magazine ANY time you want.  The magazine may be empty, or it may still have rounds in it.
With IDPA, you can not drop a magazine on the ground with any rounds in it or you will incur a procedural penalty.

Moving:
USPSA allows you to move and reload whenever you see fit.
In IDPA you can not move and reload.  Also, you must reload while under cover. Lastly, you can not move with an empty gun.  So shooting at one barricade until the gun is empty, moving to the next barricade and reloading will incur a procedural penalty.

Course of fire:
USPSA...In general, you can engage all the targets in any order or from any position you want, as long as you are within the designated shooting area. A few restrictions apply, but normally the course is set up so that you have no choice but to engage targets from certain positions through the use of walls and other barricades.
IDPA...You must use cover for shooting.  "Slicing the pie" is often required.  That is to say, you must shoot around walls so that you are partially taking cover, or when shooting through a window (as they did last night), you must shoot through the left or right half of the window.  To put it another way, you can not just stand in the middle of the window as you could with USPSA.  Also, you must engage the threats in a more realistic manner.  As you "Slice the pie", you will shoot targets in the order in which you would normally see them as you work your way around the corner.  If you are shooting in the open without cover, you must engage the closest target (most imminent threat) first, and shoot your way to the furthest (least imminent threat) target.

No Shoots:
USPSA...You only incur a penalty when you place a round through a visible portion of a No Shoot target.  For example, if a No Shoot is placed behind a target, any rounds that pass through the intended target and also penetrates a No Shoot does NOT incur a penalty.
IDPA..."Pass Throughs" DO incur a penalty.  In the same example above, a round that goes through the intended target and penetrates a No Shoot WILL incur a penalty.

Match cost is $10 for non-members of the range and $5 for those that are members of Big Shots.  There is not requirement to be a member of IDPA or USPSA.

I'm sure your M&P will be just fine for IDPA and I know you would be good to go for USPSA.

You might also want to check out the "Rock Your Glock" matches at Thunder Alley (http://www.thunderalley.us/rock-n-thunder/) indoor range in Lincoln.  NOTE: A Glock is NOT required.  You can shoot any centerfire handgun.  They are also $10, but they are a little more straight forward for a beginner.  You are simply shooting ten strings of five rounds each.  Each string is at a different distance and has a different time limit.  There is one string each of weak hand only (WHO) and strong hand only (SHO).  There is a match this coming Saturday January 26th.

Hope that helps.  That is a pretty wham bam rundown of the differences, but I am sure there is much more that I am unaware of.  If anyone finds an error in my information, please speak up.  But then, I don't have to tell you folks that.  ;D

Fly
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:39:25 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline wusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 04:57:46 PM »
Awesome thanks for all the info, sounds like both are fun but for a noob like me maybe USPSA is a good start, next week when i get paid ill leave some money to the side for range time and ammo and hopefully see you all at the next event.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 06:52:38 PM »
Are these IDPA shoots every Tuesday night?
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 01:27:14 AM »
Are these IDPA shoots every Tuesday night?

Yes sir, they are. And the USPSA matches are every Wednesday.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 11:59:30 PM »
Just a reminder that there will be an IDPA match this Tuesday (February 19th) and a USPSA match wednesday (February 20th). 

So come on out and have some fun!

Fly