< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Open Carry in Omaha and Lincoln  (Read 4173 times)

Offline smoore444

• NFOA Full Member
Open Carry in Omaha and Lincoln
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:30:18 AM »
I have been reading all over the place to see if Open carry is allowed in Omaha and or Lincoln. I live in Lincoln but am often in Omaha. I have been looking online to see if open carry is legal and I just keep finding mixed answers. Can anyone give a clear answer on if I can open carry in Lincoln and Omaha or not? I'm not looking to open carry for a long time just until I can get into a concealed carry class. Also if Open carry is legal do you need any special permits for it? Thanks

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Open Carry in Omaha and Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:36:13 AM »
You can OC in Omaha upon completion of their mandated firearms course (contact SFG on this forum as one is presented at the Safety Council where he teaches at times) and procurement of THEIR OC permit.  In Lincoln, there is no law forbidding the OC of a firearm, but you will likely be subject to a visit from LPD and with the BROAD definitions of Terroristic Threat and disturbing the peace laws ....  you may get more than you bargained for in both cities.  Just my opinion and MY opinion only on OC. 

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:58:00 AM »
As bullit said...you can OC in Lincoln...but I dont recommend it.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline smoore444

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 12:22:38 PM »
Thank you very much I appreciate it

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »
Open carry in Omaha and you will meet new people who will be wearing blue! Why do that?

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »
Hysteria  is the coin of the realm these days.  OC in just about any city in the country and you'll be the focus of a flood of 911 calls to report a "crazy person with a gun!".    Most people don't understand the 2A, much less appreciate it.   What they can't see won''t hurt them.

Offline shovelhead69

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 01:26:34 AM »
Open carry in Omaha and you will meet new people who will be wearing blue! Why do that?

So fear of police action is a valid reason for not breaking the law and acting legally by open carrying? All you have to do is educate yourself on the law's and not be afraid of police interaction with you. I have a very high profile background and have and will continue to educate the police in my area. How can a man consider himself "free" if he is to scared to act upon the freedom's he is entitled to?
To accuse a man for the sake of drama is a cowardly timid man's work (Rick)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »
So fear of police action is a valid reason for not breaking the law and acting legally by open carrying? All you have to do is educate yourself on the law's and not be afraid of police interaction with you. I have a very high profile background and have and will continue to educate the police in my area. How can a man consider himself "free" if he is to scared to act upon the freedom's he is entitled to?
Your point is well taken and one that I struggle with often. As an NFA weapons owner I had to make the decision to become very high profile with the "authorities". There have been cases where NFA weapons owners have come into contact with law enforcement while in possession and wound up spending a large amount of time and money cleaning up the mess left from LEO's who didn't know the law and in some cases over zealous prosecutors looking to make political points. Its a risk, not in my opinion one that keeps me from doing what I have a legal right to do, but its a reality. For some the prospect of having to hire lawyers, go to court or just even spending the afternoon at the station while everyone gets on the same page is enough to not take the chance. Its a personal choice, and if you want to take on the hassle that is possible to come your way then I applaud that action. On the other hand I also see how some would not, and for many reasons other than just a lack of courage. Some just don't have the time, money or home situations that would tolerate what may take place. Its a shame that our government works this way. Control by intimadation sucks but it is a realiaty in our present time and one that hits home for gun owners more than many others. :(

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 09:16:34 AM »

Just make sure you have plenty of money for an attorney/legal fees when "proving" yourself.  No disrespect meant in my comment, either

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 02:12:38 PM »
Open Carry in Omaha........

Requires completion of a class/course more or less equivalent to the NE Concealed Handgun Permit class.    Costs $100 at the National Safety Council - Nebraska, where I happen to teach it.   Completion of the course leads to a Handgun Identification Card [HIC]   [colloquially, aka Open Carry Permit].

Most folks who obtain the Omaha HIC/Open Carry Permit are uniformed security guards, bank guards, armored truck drivers, mall guards, and other such persons where the combination of the uniform and the holstered handgun provoke little attention nor citizen response.

I have never seen a non-uniformed person open carrying in Omaha.   It would be a strange sight.    Might set off a coupla dozen cell  phones calling 911:   "Man With Gun!!!!!" 

And..........Yes, it is indeed Everyone's Right.

However............We probably have an equal right to walk across Niagara Falls on a tightrope.
To do so might require some kind of permit.   Just like the Handgun Identification Card/Open Carry Permit.   Both actions contain certain perils.   Even if they are clearly within our rights.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Theodore

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 01:42:46 AM »
From the Omaha Municipal Code...

Sec. 20-206. - Carrying weapons.

(a)
As provided in section 20-192, the carrying of a concealed weapon is expressly forbidden.
(b)
In all other cases, it shall be unlawful for a person to go armed with a loaded concealable firearm of any kind or to knowingly carry or transport a concealable firearm in a motor vehicle, provided, however, that this section shall not apply to the following persons:
(1)
Persons lawfully entitled to possess a firearm while upon the premises where he or she regularly resides or is regularly employed.
(2)
Peace officers.
(3)
Members of the armed forces of the United States, the National Guard, or the Reserve Officer Training Corps when on duty or training.
(4)
Persons who for any lawful purpose carry an unloaded concealable firearm inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed on the person.
(5)
Persons who for any lawful purpose carry or transport an unloaded concealable firearm in a vehicle inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to be concealed on the person or inside a cargo or luggage compartment where the concealable firearm will not be readily accessible to any person riding in the vehicle or common carrier.
(6)
Persons in or upon a shooting range or the regular business premises of a federally and city licensed firearms dealer.
(7)
Persons engaged in a generally recognized course of instruction in the use of firearms, such as hunter safety instructions or instruction for the purpose of obtaining an identification card showing satisfactory completion of the firearm training program as set forth in section 20-207
(8)
Persons who have verified to the city that they are entitled to a waiver of the firearm training program as set forth in section 20-207(k).
(9)
Persons who have obtained and display an identification card showing satisfactory completion of the firearm training program as set forth in section 20-207
(10)
Persons possessing a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm under Nebraska Law.

The emphasis is mine.  The easiest way to open carry in Omaha is to have your CHP.  I do it occasionally and haven't ever been hassled.

Offline shovelhead69

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 09:33:36 AM »
"Just make sure you have plenty of money for an attorney/legal fees when "proving" yourself.  No disrespect meant in my comment, either"

I open carry all the time and all it has cost me is about 20-40min of educating the ofc who respond's, then after that a sgt or higher will come explain their job to them along with my given right's and nullify everything.

Then again I do not look like your avg prep clean cut guy so I have been stopped more for profiling than anything else. They don't even look in my direction anymore as the fun has died down since I first relocated here, well that and case I had with one of the local dept's had little bit to do with it.

I have a varied past and it freed my mind as well as my ass!
To accuse a man for the sake of drama is a cowardly timid man's work (Rick)

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »
Requires completion of a class/course more or less equivalent to the NE Concealed Handgun Permit class.    Costs $100 at the National Safety Council - Nebraska, where I happen to teach it.   

SFG,
I've got a good friend who is currently working for Borsheim's Security while he waits on the invitation to join the OPD.  He took the National Safety Council class a couple of years ago and was NOT impressed by what he heard and saw.  (From his description of the instructor - it was NOT YOU ;>)).  After the instructor had 'painted the class' 4 or 5 times with the hand gun he had had enough and on the break he spoke up.  He got some attitude from the instructor but the class was not "down range" after that.   

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »

Requires completion of a class/course more or less equivalent to the NE Concealed Handgun Permit class.    Costs $100 at the National Safety Council - Nebraska, where I happen to teach it.   Completion of the course leads to a Handgun Identification Card [HIC]   [colloquially, aka Open Carry Permit].

Most folks who obtain the Omaha HIC/Open Carry Permit are uniformed security guards, bank guards, armored truck drivers, mall guards, and other such persons where the combination of the uniform and the holstered handgun provoke little attention nor citizen response.

I have never seen a non-uniformed person open carrying in Omaha.   It would be a strange sight.    Might set off a coupla dozen cell  phones calling 911:   "Man With Gun!!!!!" 

And..........Yes, it is indeed Everyone's Right.

However............We probably have an equal right to walk across Niagara Falls on a tightrope.
To do so might require some kind of permit.   Just like the Handgun Identification Card/Open Carry Permit.   Both actions contain certain perils.   Even if they are clearly within our rights.

sfg

I've lived in Omaha for 12 years and one time I saw a clean cut guy in a polo and khakis open carrying at the subway on 108th & L.  He was having lunch with his wife/girlfriend.  I looked at him wondering if he was law enforcement, but there was no badge and everyone seemed to be ignoring him.
I didn't ask (or run out of the building screaming) so I'm not 100% sure, but I considered him an open carrier.
USN 91-97, USS Chandler DDG-996

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 06:25:35 PM »
Upcrawfish:

Yes.....You were rightly informed.
I'm trying to help some folks clean up their acts.
Old habits die hard.
Appear to be deeply ingrained.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline MattW

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 12:56:06 AM »
I was in the First National Bank mezzanine food court area in downtown Omaha. There was a man waiting in the line open carrying (if gun in holster, clearly visible, counts). I wondered if he was law enforcement and I could see no badge indicating this. Everyone also seemed to be ignoring him. I thought to myself, good for him, but it was definitely weird seeing it.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 07:39:01 AM »

Was that you that was interviewed by the KFAB morning show earlier this week?  I'm betting it wasn't.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 07:51:44 AM »
Farmer Rick

You do indeed win your bet.

sfg