< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Survival Knife  (Read 6005 times)

Offline GunFun

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Survival Knife
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 09:54:04 PM »
P.S. You can't go wrong with most of the above-mentioned knives (at least RAT, ESEE, etc.), but I'd avoid Gerbers like the plague, as recently they have been using inferior steel (420HC instead of the old 12c27), and their quality has gone down bigtime since they were bought out by Fiskars.

That having been said, I'd still get a Mora Companion MG or something along those lines as a backup anyway, because they are super sharp, super light, perfectly heat treated 1095 carbon steel, and at a price point below $15 almost anyone can afford to throw one in every car, toolbox, and bug out bag.

Can't go wrong with these little beauties, and I have been abusing 3 of them to see what they can take. So far they are all laughing at me.

If anyone wants to compare "Bug Out Bag" contents and choices that would be an interesting thread!

Offline EricF517

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 11:01:41 PM »
I have a Rat 5 which I carry in my truck bag.  The thing is razor sharp, and the blade is equivalent of a sharpened pry bar at 1/4" thick, and has a detente for bow & drill fire starting.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 12:07:17 PM »
Drop by my preparedness seminar at the Members Meeting for a discussion of "survival" knives, among other preparedness topics.