< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looks Like NRA A Rated Sen. Coburn Is Leading the Way...  (Read 718 times)

Offline Grunt167

• Powder Benefactor
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Looks Like NRA A Rated Sen. Coburn Is Leading the Way...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 07:33:10 PM »
From Coburn's website...

I oppose any and all efforts to mandate gun control on law-abiding citizens.  I staunchly support gun ownership and, as a gun owner myself, I believe we have a constitutional right to do so.

The Second Amendment recognizes the right of individual, law-abiding citizens to own and use firearms.

I have consistently fought to ensure the right to bear arms guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution is not infringed upon. When federal bureaucrats and unelected judges restricted the Second Amendment in national parks. I authored a provision of law [Section 512 of Public Law 111-24] to reaffirm the right of law abiding Americans to carry firearms to protect themselves and their families when visiting national parks. When Congress sought to pass a bill that threatened to unfairly deny some veterans the right to bear arms, I successfully fought to make changes to the bill to ensure that the rights these vets fought and sacrificed for would not be denied to them.  I also was a cosponsor of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act which was signed into law in 2005 and will shield gun manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits intended to limit gun ownership.

Congress does not have the authority to decide what firearms Americans should be able to possess for lawful purposes.  I support allowing national concealed carry reciprocity, shielding gun manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits, repealing the unconstitutional gun restrictions in our nation's Capital and other measures designed to preserve the right of law-abiding Americans to protect themselves and their families.

This doesn't seem to match his actions.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:39:43 PM »
That is bull-crap.

The best way to handle this (if passed into 'law') is to ignore it. If +75% of gun owners refuse to comply than we won't have to worry about a registry, will we?
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 08:01:22 PM »
I had to vent.  My letter to Senator Coburn...

On your website, you make the following statement...

"I oppose any and all efforts to mandate gun control on law-abiding citizens.  I staunchly support gun ownership and, as a gun owner myself, I believe we have a constitutional right to do so.

The Second Amendment recognizes the right of individual, law-abiding citizens to own and use firearms.

I have consistently fought to ensure the right to bear arms guaranteed by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution is not infringed upon. When federal bureaucrats and unelected judges restricted the Second Amendment in national parks. I authored a provision of law [Section 512 of Public Law 111-24] to reaffirm the right of law abiding Americans to carry firearms to protect themselves and their families when visiting national parks. When Congress sought to pass a bill that threatened to unfairly deny some veterans the right to bear arms, I successfully fought to make changes to the bill to ensure that the rights these vets fought and sacrificed for would not be denied to them.  I also was a cosponsor of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act which was signed into law in 2005 and will shield gun manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits intended to limit gun ownership.

Congress does not have the authority to decide what firearms Americans should be able to possess for lawful purposes.  I support allowing national concealed carry reciprocity, shielding gun manufacturers from frivolous lawsuits, repealing the unconstitutional gun restrictions in our nation's Capital and other measures designed to preserve the right of law-abiding Americans to protect themselves and their families."

I am not one of your constituents; however, my rights would be seriously infringed if any kind of knee jerk gun legislation is passed into law as a result of your efforts.  There are many pro-gun organizations which are stating that you are working with Democrats to author legislation which would require background checks on most all private gun sales between law abiding citizens. 

This brings to mind a series of questions.  First, is this true?  If this is true, how can you possibly make the statement above with a straight face while you propose legislation which will do nothing to prevent gun violence?  All who vehemently support the Second Amendment understand that the true problem in our society is multifaceted, but it has NOTHING to do with guns.  Guns have been in the hands of civilians since before the birth of our country.  Not just in the form of hunting tools, but in the form of military grade weapons.  Not until the relatively recent depravity of our society have guns been in the spotlight.  Have you considered legislation which actually solves our problems as opposed to restricting our Constitutional rights by promoting feel-good and ineffective legislation?

Finally, if it is true that you are trying to co-author "reasonable" legislation to appease all parties, are you blind to the fact that this is just one more axe swing at the tree of liberty?  The people who fail to understand the Second Amendment want to slowly chip away at our rights.  They will not be happy with any "reasonable" laws until we are stripped of these rights.  To think otherwise is simply being ignorant.

Sincerely,
Mr. Fly
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:07:17 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »
Having lived in Oklahoma a number of years and still having family there, Dr. Coburn has apparently contracted Potomac Fever (Hagel's Disease).  He went to Congress (HoR) for 3 terms and came home like he said he would.  He was "coerced" to run for the Senate because he was such an outstanding conservative.  He was an great Legislator pointing out the pork and earmarks, but recently I've had my concerns.  He was one the gang of how many ever that helped craft this fiscal crap/sequester mess we are in.  He has also been on the opposite side of few issues of fellow OK Senator Jim Inhofe (an outstanding Senator).  Needless to say, Coburn better get it together or he will be trounced out of office.  Recall OK is the ONLY state that had NO voting county/or district carried by BHO last November.