< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: By All Means, Leave.  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Re: By All Means, Leave.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »
It may be Wyoming that has a clause in their article of statehood, that allows them to leave the union, if their gun rights are tampered with.   It is the only state with a way out clause.

Nebraska concerns me.  Our two largest towns, pull a lot of weight for the whole state, much like Chicago influences Illinois, and NYC dictates policy and laws for NY.

Go to any sporting goods box store, and look at the bare ammo shelves.  That is people speaking with their pocketbooks, that the future is something they fear.  People are purchasing high power air rifles, because they cannot obtain traditional ammo.

I applaud that lawmaker for standing up to that silly Easterner that moved west looking for freedoms, then asking to be caged again, once she got there. 

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 02:51:14 PM »
I agree, it would be nice to have legislators that were so straightforward about how they feel--it sure would make politics a bit simpler.

It may be Wyoming that has a clause in their article of statehood, that allows them to leave the union, if their gun rights are tampered with.   It is the only state with a way out clause.
I'm pretty sure you said this same statement of Wisconsin in another thread.  As far as I know, no state can leave the union.  Feel free to prove me wrong, but here is a statement from the Presidential Proclamation dated August 20th, 1866:
Quote from: Presidential Proclamation, August 20th, 1866
And did further declare in the same proclamation that it is the manifest determination of the American people that no State, of its own will, has a right or power to go out of, or separate itself from, or be separated from, the American Union; and that, therefore, each State ought to remain and constitute an integral part of the United States;
Source: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=71992

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
I agree, it would be nice to have legislators that were so straightforward about how they feel--it sure would make politics a bit simpler.
I'm pretty sure you said this same statement of Wisconsin in another thread.  As far as I know, no state can leave the union.  Feel free to prove me wrong, but here is a statement from the Presidential Proclamation dated August 20th, 1866: Source: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=71992

That is why in both threads I ask about the leaving the union as a question, because I can't remember if it is Minnesota, Wyoming, or Wisconsin.  Sucks getting old!   I will try looking that up.

Just looked it up, and it is Montana!   lol

http://reason.com/blog/2008/02/20/montana-wrong-heller-decision

http://www.dailypaul.com/39253/montana-may-leave-the-union-over-gun-rights

I mentioned it twice, hoping someone would help me remember our history, but sometimes one just has to do their own legwork.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:11:18 PM by Gary »

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 03:21:39 PM »
That response rocks.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 03:22:29 PM »
That was awesome!
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »
“Ample evidence has shown that schools and guns do not mix, and in particular, guns in the hands of amateurs/non-professionals is extremely dangerous, especially in any highly-charged situation,”

It amazes me how some people can look at mass shootings and draw the conclusion that it is the fault of law-abiding citizens that psychotics are using "Gun Free Zone" locations, like schools and theaters,  as shooting galleries, and that yet another gun ban of weapons which are used in few mass shootings, but look scary, is a proper course of action.

Like I told my physics and math students, "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insane!"

Offline SS_N_NE

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 06:31:17 PM »
People are purchasing high power air rifles, because they cannot obtain traditional ammo.

I have even noticed a shortage of laser-fire ammo. Next, there won't even be any dry-firing left!

Offline rudy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 06:33:35 PM »
That is why in both threads I ask about the leaving the union as a question, because I can't remember if it is Minnesota, Wyoming, or Wisconsin.  Sucks getting old!   I will try looking that up.

Just looked it up, and it is Montana!   lol

http://reason.com/blog/2008/02/20/montana-wrong-heller-decision

http://www.dailypaul.com/39253/montana-may-leave-the-union-over-gun-rights

I mentioned it twice, hoping someone would help me remember our history, but sometimes one just has to do their own legwork.
Saying that there is a clause allowing Montana to leave the union legally and leaving the union over a possible breach of contract (that ended up not happening) are two different things.  If Montana were to try to leave the union, I'm sure the Federal government would deem it illegal.  It would likely end up in court or start a war.  Supreme Court Justice Scalia wrote a letter to a screenwriter that was interested in the legal ramifications of Maine leaving the union for use in a movie plot.  This is the text of the letter (emphasis added by me):
Quote from: Justice Scalia
I am afraid I cannot be of much help with your problem, principally because I cannot imagine that such a question could ever reach the Supreme Court. To begin with, the answer is clear. If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede. (Hence, in the Pledge of Allegiance, “one Nation, indivisible.”) Secondly, I find it difficult to envision who the parties to this lawsuit might be. Is the State suing the United States for a declaratory judgment? But the United States cannot be sued without its consent, and it has not consented to this sort of suit.

I am sure that poetic license can overcome all that — but you do not need legal advice for that. Good luck with your screenplay.
Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/02/17/justice-scalias-thoughts-on-state-secession-penned-to-one-man/

If the Heller case would've turned out differently, we would've gotten to see if the Montana legislators would've tried to secede, but it didn't turn out that way.  I still don't think any state has the right to leave the union legally, but these are interesting times and we never know what will happen...

Offline WESchultz

• Powder Benefactor
  • ENGC & NMA
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 06:37:54 PM »
Not being an attorney, and not trying to rain on anyone’s parade about any one or more states "wishful thinking" secession from the union. Just a point or “food for thought”: Where do you think that any state’s secession petition would go if filed, and that petition were to be heard by the USSC? Especially when every one of us, in every state, recites the word “INDIVISIBLE” in the Pledge of Allegiance.

The Pledge of Allegiance reads:
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Just saying, IMO - not a snowballs chance in hell any states secession will ever happen. That means we need to stick together and get Congressional leadership and its members changed by voting at the polls. Just my opinion.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any!

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 07:52:39 PM »
Not being an attorney, and not trying to rain on anyone’s parade about any one or more states "wishful thinking" secession from the union. Just a point or “food for thought”: Where do you think that any state’s secession petition would go if filed, and that petition were to be heard by the USSC? Especially when every one of us, in every state, recites the word “INDIVISIBLE” in the Pledge of Allegiance.

Well, if we use most politicians' view of an oath as our model, the Pledge of Allegiance wouldn't mean much either.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 03:27:40 PM »
Well, if we use most politicians' view of an oath as our model, the Pledge of Allegiance wouldn't mean much either.

Indeed.   If witnesses in trials kept their oath the way politicians do  we'd have Al Capone's Chicago nationwide, instead of just in Chicago, NY,  CA, and DC.

But, just  surmising, if any states could withdraw  from the union they'd face the  full might of the US military.  Only a few states could do that.  Alaska, for one,  has oil deposits on its territory, has a couple of military bases with the latest fighter aircraft  and bombers, has nukes, and is remote enough  that it would be a logistic problem to support troops from such a distance.   Assuming, of course, that the regiments at the various bases through out Alaska would go along with succession.   The nukes could be targeted on DC as a deterrent.

And, IF Alaska did do that then they'd have to be concerned about their neighbors to the  West, one of which claims that the Alaska purchase was illegal, null and void.  Some of their nukes would have to remain targeted on Russia, China and North Korea.

Personally, with 47% of Americans now depending on government handouts (and that excludes those on SS after years of paying into Social Security), the Left has a huge voting block that requires only 5% or so of the fence riders to tip the balance.   Which, BTW, is exactly how Obama won the last election.   Pork works.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 05:59:45 PM »
not a snowballs chance in hell any states secession will ever happen.

Forever is a long time. Empires fall apart. This one will too, sooner or later.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:06:02 PM by CitizenClark »