< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ron Paul for some gun control  (Read 1631 times)

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Ron Paul for some gun control
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:15:50 PM »
Mr Paul's recent comment about Chris Kyle, the Navy Seal sniper who, according the book of Ron "lived by the sword and died by the sword" put him squarely in the Westborough Baptist church camp IMHO
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 07:19:07 PM »
Mr Paul's recent comment about Chris Kyle, the Navy Seal sniper who, according the book of Ron "lived by the sword and died by the sword" put him squarely in the Westborough Baptist church camp IMHO
I must have missed that remark, it's hard to keep up with everything with the tin foil hat interfering

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:07:20 PM »
Although Ron can seem to be suffering from some stage of dementia at times, he has a point on this article. Remember early on in this administration feds hit the Gibson guitar factory to confiscate alleged "illegally imported wood".  Facing the threat of being confronted with a 64-beat per minute guitar riff they brought in fed teams kitted out like Seal Team Six. Overkill much? ::)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »

Yeah, shame on the Dr. Paul for quoting Jesus.  How dare he.  ::)

And that is soooo much like picketing a funeral of a gay service men screaming hateful remarks and such.

C'mon Dan (the Man W), get some perspective.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:53:03 PM »
I have to say I understand Dan W's viewpoint.  The phrase, regardless of who is being quoted, is not typically used to flatter an individual.  To make this statement about anyone and their chosen lifestyle is not normally stated as a compliment.  It suggests that if you live your life wronging others, you can plan to reap what you sow. 

Maybe Ron P did not intend for his statement to be taken in the commonly accepted sense.  If not, I can't imagine what he was trying to say.  To imply that a decorated soldier, who was doing his duty by putting himself in harms way to help his fellow soldiers survive, deserves what he got, is a statement that is way out there...IMHO.

Fly
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:50:50 AM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:07:42 AM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:28:27 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 11:09:40 AM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:27:41 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 04:15:43 PM »
So, in Citizen Clark's world killing the enemy in a war is evil , unless, of course, RP says it's OK
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 05:54:09 PM »
If you have an issue with the statement or not is one thing, comparison to Westboro Baptist Church is about as useful as comparing something to the Nazi's.... it effectively makes further conversation nigh meaningless (see also: Godwin's Law).

I'll stick to my 'perspective' comment, as well.

Anyhoo... for those curious about it...

The quote from the Doc clarifying his position is:

As a veteran, I certainly recognize that this weekend's violence and killing of Chris Kyle were a tragic and sad event. My condolences and prayers go out to Mr. Kyle’s family. Unconstitutional and unnecessary wars have endless unintended consequences. A policy of non-violence, as Christ preached, would have prevented this and similar tragedies.

Will I agree his immediate 'sword' comment was possibly crass, sure.  Does it fit in with the Libertarian view point that we had no business doing what we're doing 'over there' ? Yup.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
This keep gettin dumber and dumber all the time.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:27:38 PM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 07:03:20 PM »
Why all the fuss over what Ron Paul said about Chris Kyle? I'd like to think if he was still with us he wouldn't give a crap about what the old man said about him. Looking out for others seemed to be his lifetime MO, not defending his personal image, that's a politician's racket. 

The thread started over an article pointing out federal excessive prosecution, not Ron Paul's sense of judgement which is easily questionable and definately erratic. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 11:49:17 PM »
Noble ends cannot justify evil means.

And hand-waving about doing one's "duty" (to empire) cannot trump concerns about the justice of one's actions.

I am not going to defend the wars/conflicts that our nation has been, or will be, involved in.  But if you are a soldier, and you are called to serve in one of these theaters under circumstances you may not agree with, you have limited choices...go AWOL, claim to be a conscientious objector, etc.  OR you can do everything in your power to help as many of your countrymen come home alive as possible. 

As a soldier, you don't choose the fight.  There are means to reject unjust orders, but you had better have your ducks in a row.  A "Live/Die by the sword" statement is best pinned on the politicians who make the choices that put our soldiers in harms way unnecessarily.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

A-FIXER

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 08:05:17 AM »
I am not going to defend the wars/conflicts that our nation has been, or will be, involved in.  But if you are a soldier, and you are called to serve in one of these theaters under circumstances you may not agree with, you have limited choices...go AWOL, claim to be a conscientious objector, etc.  OR you can do everything in your power to help as many of your countrymen come home alive as possible. 

As a soldier, you don't choose the fight.  There are means to reject unjust orders, but you had better have your ducks in a row.  A "Live/Die by the sword" statement is best pinned on the politicians who make the choices that put our soldiers in harms way unnecessarily.

Fly

Good verbage explained simple and to the point ..... can I say Mr. FLY and mean it with all good intentions

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 01:11:29 PM »

Fly

Amen to that. I don't understand why a libertarian like Ron Paul would make such a cold hearted statement. I wonder if Ron Paul would have said the same thing about the soldiers in the American Revolutionary War?

That statement has me completely puzzled and doesn't seem to be in line with what he has preached in the past.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 01:59:01 PM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:28:11 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 02:16:50 PM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:28:00 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »
Why all the fuss over what Ron Paul said about Chris Kyle? I'd like to think if he was still with us he wouldn't give a crap about what the old man said about him. Looking out for others seemed to be his lifetime MO, not defending his personal image, that's a politician's racket. 

The thread started over an article pointing out federal excessive prosecution, not Ron Paul's sense of judgement which is easily questionable and definately erratic. 
Well said RedDot.
I like many of RP`s ideas, and think he would have been much better than what we ended up with..better even than the other contender.