< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: So----Who Shoots/Carries/Reloads .357Sig??  (Read 1118 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
So----Who Shoots/Carries/Reloads .357Sig??
« on: February 22, 2013, 04:13:31 PM »
Yeah, I Know............

Nobody else.   But me.

Sorry.    Shouldn'ta asked.

Next topic.   My apologies.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: So----Who Shoots/Carries/Reloads .357Sig??
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »
I am thinking of getting a Lone Wolf .357 barrel for one of .40 Glocks.  Please note that I did NOT include the word "SIG" or "S&W" as Glock would disapprove of such monikers....
Any suggestions? 

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »
I've been meaning to get a 357sig barrel for my Sig P229, but just haven't yet.

I liked the round while test firing a few hundred shots on a BH rental gun when deciding what to get.

Sooooo.. not I, not yet.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »
My cousin does. Is there something you are after?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 05:07:29 AM »
Is there something you are after?

Mainly any kind of dialogue or information on this interesting but somewhat neglected and generally unknown caliber.

I shoot it, reload it, and it serves as my winter carry gun in the form of a Glock 33, my only Glock.   And was wondering if other folks use this caliber and have any opinions on it.

It is a potent ballistic package.   So--why is the .40S&W so much more popular??  [For example.]

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 05:41:44 AM »
So--why is the .40S&W so much more popular??

From what I understand, the 40 is extremely popular with law enforcement, and this trickles down into the public perception.  Seems like us gun toting types seem to grow fond of what our armed forces and LEOs use.  ;)

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 06:31:34 AM »
This is older information but:

Per wikipedia, "The SIG-Sauer P229 in .357 SIG is currently the standard issue firearm carried by agents of the United States Secret Service, the Bastrop County Texas Sheriff's Office, the North Carolina State Highway Patrol, Delaware State Police, Alameda County Sheriff's Office, Virginia State Police, Federal Air Marshals and the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration. In most cases, it has replaced 10 mm, .40 S&W and 9 mm loads. In 1995, the Texas Department of Public Safety became the first government agency to implement the .357 SIG. The Tennessee Highway Patrol presently issues the Glock 31 pistol chambered in .357 SIG. The Canadian Forces Special Operations unit Joint Task Force 2 reportedly uses P226's chambered in .357 SIG, as well as Canadian Naval Boarding Parties who use P225's in .357 SIG. The Bedford Heights Police Department (OH) currently issues the Glock 31/32 in .357 SIG."

From what I have read everyone that uses the 357 Sig really likes it.

I have not tried it since I usually practice with what my employer issues.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 06:50:59 AM »
I've never been too attracted to it because I reload. Maybe it's easier than I would guess, but I don't want to mess with a bottle-necked in the quantities I reload pistol calibers.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 09:51:34 AM »
Reloading about a Million .17Rem, .223Rem, and .22-250  Prairie Dog/Varmint rounds over the years has sorta accustomed me to bottle-necked cartridges on a single-stage press, even though they are pistol cartridges in this case.

It took a bit to get a handle on the cartridge, such as the actual locus of seating for headspace [case shoulder] and that little short case neck that doesn't have much squeeze to it.

I've even resized some .40S&W cases into .357Sig. B-necked cases, loaded them w/bullets [only], and tested for bullet setback by repeated cycling in the Glock 33.   Which was none at all.   FWIW, I will NOT fully load and fire such rounds; not that adventurous.

The .357Sig packs a lot into a little.   I like it.   But then, I always liked Slightly Neurotic Wimmen, too.

sfg

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 06:11:05 PM »
Wallace:

Kinda precisely my point.

It's a Wicked Little Round, but............the .357Sig don't get no respeck.

sfg

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 06:41:09 PM »
I shoot and reload the 357sig in my G31.  Great caliber.  147gr bullets are amazing pin clearers when I used to shoot bowling pin matches.
I think you were part of the discussion a while back about using 40sw cases to reload the 357sig.  I've done it for years with no issues, but with all the brass that is now available for it, not really needed.  I wish they would make a pistol cal carbine in it.
Why is the 357sig not popular, because compared to the 40 not many LE agencies use it and it really is kind of an odd ball caliber.  Bottleneck pistol calibers are about as popular as shooting 8mm instead of 30cal in America. 8mm can be everything the 30 can but it was never a popular choice.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 08:24:38 PM »
Bottleneck pistol calibers are about as popular as shooting 8mm

Good analogy.

sfg

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 08:28:25 PM »
When picking out a carry gun and renting several firearms at the BH to try out firearms and cartridges... I had my heart set on the 357sig, preferably in a Sig pistol :).

Ended up picking up a Sig pistol, but in 40.  Haven't picked up a barrel to swap out for 357sig cartridges yet... but it's on my wish list.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 08:53:46 PM »
It got precisely zero votes here:

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,7888.0.html

If I was limited to those choices the .357 Sig would have been my pick.

To those who have commented on .40  being more common, I agree this would the greatest competitor .357. I think it is a great round and if cost wasn't issue I would pick it over .40.

That said, I have punted both .40 and .45, and stuck with 9mm.