< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Does anyone have experience reloading a 2.75 "Mighty Mouse" air-to-air rocket?  (Read 3164 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Along with many unusual antique firearms handed down to me, I also received one round of ammunition for my dad's prior flying weapon, the F86 Sabre.

All I need is an F86 to launch it from, but then I may need some help reloading it.

Interesting facts...

FFAR (Folding Fin Aerial Rocket)

Fly
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:31:54 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline msspatz

• Lead Benefactor
Oh my hmm maybe you and me can get together and show off our bombs LOL.  Here's a picture of the one I got from my uncles field near Yuma, Colorado.  I took it apart took out the dents and on one side I was painting the Coors Silver Bullet logo on it cause I wanted to make it into a keg. 
ZERO PLANNING ON YOUR PART CONSTITUTES AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Here's a picture of the one I got from my uncles field near Yuma, Colorado.

My dad worked at Schwayder Brothers, in Denver  CO.  They made Samsonite Luggage.  During the WWII he was a supervisor on the bomb line, where they made casings and fins for 250 and 500 lb bombs.  After the war he was given a 500 Lb bomb casing, with Army  paint on it.  It looked like this:
http://xbradtc.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/wwii-500-pound-bomb_thumb.jpg
which appears to be a little fatter than yours.

It sat in his wood  working garage for years while I was growing up and I examined every part of it.  Except for the color your photo looks like the 250 lb version. (It held 250 lbs  of explosive).

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
PEOPLE...This is about my cool rocket and not your silly bombs!  :laugh:

Fly

Offline msspatz

• Lead Benefactor
Yes fly your rocket is way more cooler than my silly little bomb LOL.  So where did you get that thing anyway?  Tell us the story how you recieved it.   And I'm sorry I hijacked your thread just thought your missle was cool so I wanted you to see my bomb.

My dad worked at Schwayder Brothers, in Denver  CO.  They made Samsonite Luggage.  During the WWII he was a supervisor on the bomb line, where they made casings and fins for 250 and 500 lb bombs.  After the war he was given a 500 Lb bomb casing, with Army  paint on it.  It looked like this:
http://xbradtc.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/wwii-500-pound-bomb_thumb.jpg
which appears to be a little fatter than yours.

It sat in his wood  working garage for years while I was growing up and I examined every part of it.  Except for the color your photo looks like the 250 lb version. (It held 250 lbs  of explosive).

Mine is about 4 ft tall and about 18 inches (I think i would have to measure).  My cousin and I use to throw it around like we were in war when we were kids.  Before her dad sold the farm I asked for that bomb cause I thought it was cool.  Right now it's down at my dad's house in Colorado being stored.  I did think about donating it to the air base here in McCook cause they are trying to restore it but I did see that they had several so I think I may just keep it for now.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
PEOPLE...This is about my cool rocket and not your silly bombs! 

Ya, but from what I've read my bomb was just as accurate as your rocket!  :D

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Just joking of course.

My dad flew F-80, F-86, F-84, and F-4 aircraft for the Air National Guard in Lincoln.  He retired there as a full Col.  Stupid me, I didn't follow in his footsteps (at least in regards to the Guard career), but that is whole other story.  During his career he collected several souvenirs.  For the longest time he had this rocket hanging in a wood rack that he made on the wall.  I'm sure this was not my mom's preferred decor, but my dad was proud of it.  I just saw it on the shelf of my mom's garage and thought this would be pretty cool to hang up in my man/reloading/hiding from the wife cave.

Fly

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Dad was military for 20 some years, has some interesting stuff he wants me to look at / keep.... teehee.

I've avoided this thread on purpose btw :P
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline msspatz

• Lead Benefactor
Fly I knew you were joking.  That's cool about your dad and his stuff you ought to put more up I like war stuff.  I'm a girl and I was wanting to make my bomb into a keg for my basement so even if my hubby wanted a man cave he'd have to share it cause im into a lot of stuff he likes as well.  Guns, cars, mechanics including the heavy diesel stuff, racing and such.  Hopefully this summer I'll be building my 1979 Z28 camaro along with him building his yes we have two his old one he had in high school and one that he found for me that has t tops.  Here's a pic of it I'm going to but a 383 in it. 

Offline msspatz

• Lead Benefactor
The other one is his in the background.  He actually sold it and it made it clear to texas and then some how it made it back to McCook.  Bad thing is the front clip was totalled but we have a new front clip for it so should be good.

Offline msspatz

• Lead Benefactor
I know I know went from missles to bombs now camaros LOL hmm maybe we could mount that missle on to my camaro.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Rocket on a Camero...now THAT would be cool.

Fly

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
just thought your missle was cool so I wanted you to see my bomb.

"You show me Yours and I'll show you Mine"????????

Forum's getting racier by the minnit.   DanW's scrutiny. screening, and censorship will be needed here soooooon.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
"You show me Yours and I'll show you Mine"????????

Forum's getting racier by the minnit.   DanW's scrutiny. screening, and censorship will be needed here soooooon.

sfg

Now now there! msspatz and I are both married.  Besides that, I'm pretty sure her husband knows how to use a gun.  If I were going to flirt with a woman, I am smart enough to pick a woman with a liberal (read passive, non-gun owning) husband. ;D

Fly
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:09:27 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline msspatz

• Lead Benefactor
Now now there! msspatz and I are both married.  Besides that, I'm pretty sure her husband knows how to use a gun.  If I were going to flirt with a woman, I am smart enough to pick a woman with a liberal husband. ;D

Fly

Yep he knows how to use a gun we are both ex military served in the same unit.  The way things are going we may have to put that missle on my camaro if our rights our forefathers instated for us to keep are taken away.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
Oh my hmm maybe you and me can get together and show off our bombs LOL.  Here's a picture of the one I got from my uncles field near Yuma, Colorado.  I took it apart took out the dents and on one side I was painting the Coors Silver Bullet logo on it cause I wanted to make it into a keg. 

You might make a Neat Mail box or Mail box stand  out of it
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline msspatz

• Lead Benefactor
You might make a Neat Mail box or Mail box stand  out of it

That's actually a great idea thanks Phantom!!

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
You know...my rocket Might make a cool lamp.  The fins could be the base.  I wonder if the wife would like that in the living room.    :laugh:

Fly

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
You know...my rocket Might make a cool lamp.  The fins could be the base.  I wonder if the wife would like that in the living room.   

Fly

Fly if you could find 3 more of them you could use them for Bed posts  :o

Too Bad you don't have the Launcher for it as well .....I have some neat ideas for that   :o :laugh: :P ;D
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline msspatz

• Lead Benefactor
You know...my rocket Might make a cool lamp.  The fins could be the base.  I wonder if the wife would like that in the living room.    :laugh:

Fly

Hey I need a new lamp in my house I'm getting new furnature and the light I have is on it's last leg.  :laugh: