< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Water Purification for my BOB  (Read 5264 times)

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Water Purification for my BOB
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 12:29:01 PM »
I have a Katadyn Hiker PRO hand pump that I've used on several Grand Canyon hikes filtering clear stream water and muddy Colorado river water. Also used it on numerous other hikes all over the mountain west / southwest. It's never let me down and I've never had issues drinking water that I've filtered with it.

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 07:48:24 PM »
I also have a Katadyn, but mine is the Vario. Used it a few times with no complaints and taste is actually pretty good (considering the source). But of course it only does 500 gallons, but I have a spare filter (always like carrying extra things like spare filters)

LifeStraws are great, I have a few but have been looking at also getting the family version: http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Life_Straw_Family_Water_Filter_p/z_ls_family.htm ....still need to shop around to see about prices, but thinking of getting a couple.

Otherwise, there is always trusty iodine tablets and boiling (though, you would need some kind of particle filter to get any debri out).
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline jon_schram

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 04:56:22 PM »
I believe in redundancy in a BOB.  I have iodine, life straw, and canteen cup to boil water in.  The more options, the better. 

The Life Straw is a truly amazing product.  When I was living in the Congo NATO or some other peace keeping/charity group dropped off a couple thousand Life Straws.  I have no doubt that they helped keep people alive that were drinking dirty water after being displaced.  Having said that, they are not perfect.  They can become lost, or plugged if used to filter truly muddy water.  Always better to screen the water through a cotton bandana or at least a t-shirt before filtering it.  Also submerging the straw in water means you still end up getting some nasty stuff in your mouth. Sounds like common sense but you'd be amazed what people will stick their straw in when they are THIRSTY.

Iodine tablets are probably honestly the best option in a 72hr bag, but its always nice to have other options.