< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ENPS Multigun Match, March 17th...  (Read 2658 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: ENPS Multigun Match, March 17th...
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 09:14:48 PM »
At that range, with my rifle if I aim at the top of the IPSC head I'll pretty much hit in the middle of the A zone.  Unfortunately I was stupid and aimed at the middle of the A zone, even though I knew better, and just clipped the no-shoot.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 08:45:26 PM »
how high of a hold do you guys use for rifle in that close.  I stayed after the match and tried to find my poi/poa for up close 1-7 yd range. prior to the match I assumed a little under 3" would be ok but during verification it was around 4" @ 5 yds. my optic is zerod at 100.

For the Multigun we shoot, I already know the longest shot isn't going to be over 125 yards (and that is only if we shoot diagonally across the 100-yard bay, so mostly it is just 100 yards), with most of the targets going to be from 5 to 40 yards.  As such---I simply put my optic dead-on at 25 yards. 

I'm using a Burris TAC30 (and I love it for our matches) and the reticle looks like this:

As such, at the 1x power from about 15 yards to 35 yards the center of the middle dot is right on, and at 50 yards the top of the middle dot is right on.  So for anything from 10 to 50. I just put the dot on it and I'm happy.

From 3-5 yards the second dot down from the middle is right on.  :)

At 100 yards, at 4x, I put the center of the "T" (above the middle dot) in the center of the target, and it hits.   When I was checking my scope last September to make sure I hadn't shifted the zero when I bashed it around, I did this:

3x5 card, 5 shots at 100 yards, 4x red dot scope, only using the mag as a monopod, rapid fire. (That's multigun rapid, not bullseye rapid).  Professional shooters would laugh, but I'm perfectly happy with it.

So---your mileage may vary.  Since I only use this rifle for our Multigun (and it would work exactly the same for home defense, if I needed it in that capacity), that 25-yard zero works really well.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 09:43:30 PM »
I really would like one of those TAC 30's.  I was very impressed when I looked through yours a while back.  It's a lot of scope for the money.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 10:52:40 PM »
I know that you're all dieing to know what was wrong with my Mossberg 500. It was failing to elevate the shell high enough when feeding. The main cause - the nut that holds the pump on was extremely loose. I also completely broke it down and cleaned/lubed everything.

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 12:14:10 PM »
as much as 930s are ragged on the ones ppl use at our matches have been running great

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »
as much as 930s are ragged on the ones ppl use at our matches have been running great

Once mine got broken in it has run almost flawlessly.  It eats everything from 3" magnum slugs to light 2 3/4" trap loads without a hiccup.  The only problem I've had after the first 100 rounds was a single stovepipe, but that was after it had been sitting in the rain all day long.  I'm guessing having all the lube washed out of it didn't help. 

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 01:04:59 PM »
I don't lube my gas piston anymore, just keep it clean.it wouldn't cycle superlight shotshells. i felt like the lube would just cake the carbon. my piston is chromed though (JM model) so ymmv.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 01:21:55 PM »
I don't lube my gas piston anymore, just keep it clean.it wouldn't cycle superlight shotshells. i felt like the lube would just cake the carbon. my piston is chromed though (JM model) so ymmv.

Whoa, people clean shotguns?  Huh.  What an idea.  You mean I can't just stuff it back in the case after I shoot a match, and not touch it again until the next match?

Because that's what I've been doing for quite awhile now....I cleaned it once about two months after I bought it after I went to the range and shot a couple of hundred shells on steel and flipped clay targets.  Haven't cleaned it since.  Hm.  I should probably do that sometime.

It still feeds better than Sean's gun.  :)

And Nick's too.  :)  (Buy yourself a Mossberg 930 JM Pro, Nick.   Best don't-have-to-mess-with-it semi-auto 3-gun shotgun out there.)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com