General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Spring Gardening: preparation to bounty.

<< < (3/8) > >>

gigabelly:
No, I didn't understand.  Just don't add any more.  If it is already broken down, it is fine. 

Mudinyeri:
Sure, dog manure is crap.  However, if it is plentiful, you can use it in your compost.  FWIW, most dog food contains very little actual meat. 

Here is an excellent resource on dog poop compost from the USDA and the Fairbanks (AK) Soil and Water Conservation District: ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/AK/Publications/dogwastecomposting2.pdf

Composting is different from simply tilling organic matter (dog manure, grass clippings, etc.) into your soil.  One of the major differences, as gigabelly mentioned, is the heat generated by composting.  Heat, over time, kills bacteria, grass seeds, weed seeds and other undesirable elements that may be a part of your organic material.  Without the heat generated by composting, the undesirable elements take much longer to break down.  You can "denature" the undesirables by working in desirable materials, e.g. compost, potting soil, etc to "cut" the percentage of undesirable elements in your garden patch.

Without composting or cutting, you may end up with some foul tasting veggies.  Terroir is the characteristics of the land interacting with the genetics of the plants to produce the final product.  In this case, your land has the characteristic of dog manure.  Ultimately, that manure may show up in the flavor of your garden's produce.  The flavor may be undetectable or it may be very strong.

gigabelly:
Well, ya learn something every day.  I don't claim to be any sort of authority  on any subject, but I can look at something with an open mind and reexamine an issue I thought was solved.  I guess, then, that the decision for or against dog waste composting is up to the individual.  I was always told not to.  Toby has shown that it might be okay.  That is the beauty of community, I suppose.  Thanks Toby.  Now, go write a novel, would ya? I cant wait for UCJII

Mudinyeri:

--- Quote from: gigabelly on March 06, 2013, 12:57:50 PM ---Well, ya learn something every day.  I don't claim to be any sort of authority  on any subject, but I can look at something with an open mind and reexamine an issue I thought was solved.  I guess, then, that the decision for or against dog waste composting is up to the individual.  I was always told not to.  Toby has shown that it might be okay.  That is the beauty of community, I suppose.  Thanks Toby.  Now, go write a novel, would ya? I cant wait for UCJII

--- End quote ---

You may recall that human waste was being used for compost in my first book. ;)

Neeco:

--- Quote from: Mudinyeri on March 06, 2013, 12:43:17 PM ---Sure, dog manure is crap.  However, if it is plentiful, you can use it in your compost.  FWIW, most dog food contains very little actual meat. 

Here is an excellent resource on dog poop compost from the USDA and the Fairbanks (AK) Soil and Water Conservation District: ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/AK/Publications/dogwastecomposting2.pdf

Composting is different from simply tilling organic matter (dog manure, grass clippings, etc.) into your soil.  One of the major differences, as gigabelly mentioned, is the heat generated by composting.  Heat, over time, kills bacteria, grass seeds, weed seeds and other undesirable elements that may be a part of your organic material.  Without the heat generated by composting, the undesirable elements take much longer to break down.  You can "denature" the undesirables by working in desirable materials, e.g. compost, potting soil, etc to "cut" the percentage of undesirable elements in your garden patch.

Without composting or cutting, you may end up with some foul tasting veggies.  Terroir is the characteristics of the land interacting with the genetics of the plants to produce the final product.  In this case, your land has the characteristic of dog manure.  Ultimately, that manure may show up in the flavor of your garden's produce.  The flavor may be undetectable or it may be very strong.

--- End quote ---

So, with that said, what is the difference in bagged manure and dog manure, if you are going to taste it in the veggie?  Personally, I'd rather taste cow, if given a choice, but poo still taste like poo.  Not that I would know...

Thanks again for the insight Toby!   

First thing I am going to do is probably build or buy some sort of compost bin/box for the corner of the yard.  Then I need to get the soil tested and figure out what to mix in.   Also need to get some plants started indoors to be ready come full spring.

Meh, either way, its the experience that matters, more than the bounty the first year. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version