General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Spring Gardening: preparation to bounty.

<< < (4/8) > >>

Neeco:

--- Quote from: Mudinyeri on March 06, 2013, 01:09:34 PM ---You may recall that human waste was being used for compost in my first book. ;)

--- End quote ---

Are you published in hard copies?  Or is it strictly electronically based?

I would love a version in Audio book format if there is one.

I have to be honest, I have read a couple chapters of your current blog/story, and put it aside to actually work.  Need to pick it up again...

gigabelly:
Right.  We are omnivores.  We used to use septic tank sludge for fertilizer.  Gross, but it works.  In fact, the lawn fertilizer Millagronite, is produced by the sewage department in Minneapolis, I think.  It is processed, but it is what it is. 

Also, the Native Americans taught us to bury a fish with the corn.  Now you can buy fish emulsion and that works great.  Better than the dead fish in your yard and your neighbors wont laugh at you fish burials.

Good look, Neeco

Mudinyeri:

--- Quote from: Neeco on March 06, 2013, 01:11:02 PM ---So, with that said, what is the difference in bagged manure and dog manure, if you are going to taste it in the veggie? 
--- End quote ---

The composition of manure, especially fresh, un-composted manure tilled directly into the soil, will produce varying flavor subtleties depending on the animal, the sex of the animal, the animal's diet, etc.  My bigger concern, as far as flavor goes, is tilling in fresh manure of any sort - canine, feline, bovine, porcine, equine, human or any other - directly into the soil shortly before planting.  As gigabelly suggested earlier, you can see what your dog's poop on your yard does to your grass.

As for my book, it is not available in print.  However, you can purchase it for Kindle or Nook and, I believe, use the audio feature of any compatible device to play it back as an audio book.

JimP:

--- Quote ---We plan to have an indoor test run in the spring for veggies and salsa components. In the summer we would like cukes, maters, and a host of other things.
--- End quote ---

I just saw this ...... I've been making my own salsa for about 10 years ........ Salsa garden must haves include Tomatoes, peppers, onion, and cilantro.....

I also had clay soil (about a foot and a half of it) over a layer of sandy "hardpan"....... adding organic matter via compost/grass clippings/manure/whatever is a long term solution ...... what you can do this year, when you transplant your started veggies is to use a post hole digger, thusly:

http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.com/2008/03/my-whizbang-squash-planting-secret.html

It basicly involves making the soil around and under your plant as good as you can get it, and not feeding the space between your plants ......

The three best tips I can give for gardening are the use of drip irrigation and MULCH! everything you don't want weeds growing out of..... and pruning your tomato vines to get airflow undereath them will keep fungi from climbing up on them.....

That Deliberate Agrarian site is full of gardening info...... he's got all kinds of good information and ideas  ...... I want to try his row cover ideas ......

Hank:
Looks like you have a wealth of good replies to the OP, so all I can add is, ` I am soooo ready for warmer weather so I can do yard work and gardening...( is that a sign of getting old?)..lol
We usually just plant tomato, cukes,bell pepper, banana pepper, cantelope, beets(yuck..taste like dirt to me),and asparagus(gets better each year), and the wife also uses dill for pickled spicy carrots,also have rhubarb for pies. This year we need to start strawberries over..they were overcome by some kind of vine that is throughout the back yard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version