General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Spring Gardening: preparation to bounty.

<< < (5/8) > >>

JimP:

--- Quote ---beets(yuck..taste like dirt to me)

--- End quote ---

Washing them before eating will fix that ....... just sayin'  ;)

Also, bell peppers can be grown indoors ..... I've had some go as long as 3 1/2 years! I have two plants in the dining room right now .... one is 5 feet tall.  They don't yield spectacularly in winter, but I have gotten more than a dozen small (1/2 size) peppers since  I brought them in the fall.  When the weather warms, I'll take them back outside, and I'll be picking peppers in May.

Neeco:
What are absolutely a NO for conposting?  Everyone has an opinion, garden sights say if you can eat it, compost it.

Are compost piles different for veggies and flower gardens?

gigabelly:
essentially, in my  opinion, plant stuffs will compost better and faster than animal products.  Animal products need to decompose and take longer to compost.  I have three compost piles.  I don't turn my compost very often so it takes longer to cook and I rotate the compost between the piles every year.  I suppose one could use animal products in a separate pile with some vegetation thrown in to get the nitrogen to carbon ratios where you want them.  Personally, I would just try it and see how it goes.  What will it hurt?  The Indians taught us to bury a fish with our corn, as I said earlier, so obviously animal products can work. 

Neeco:

--- Quote from: gigabelly on March 10, 2013, 03:41:08 PM ---essentially, in my  opinion, plant stuffs will compost better and faster than animal products.  Animal products need to decompose and take longer to compost.  I have three compost piles.  I don't turn my compost very often so it takes longer to cook and I rotate the compost between the piles every year.  I suppose one could use animal products in a separate pile with some vegetation thrown in to get the nitrogen to carbon ratios where you want them.  Personally, I would just try it and see how it goes.  What will it hurt?  The Indians taught us to bury a fish with our corn, as I said earlier, so obviously animal products can work. 

--- End quote ---

I won't put meat in there, but what about leftovers like pasta and quac dip, or breads or anything else grown not born?

Hank:
Hmmm, I`ll have to try washing them beets next time :laugh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version