General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Spring Gardening: preparation to bounty.

<< < (7/8) > >>

Neeco:
A little update:  This post is copied from another forum, sorry if I didn't get it fully edited.

Well, we have sprouts and lots of them! Except for the Peppers... I think they may need to be warmer than we are offering.

I think I see what you guys meant by "leggy" plants though... These guys have reached for the stars, while I was trying to plan the next move for them.  Only took two days and they were 3 inches tall.  Now we have them directly beneath the light and have given each planter their own light source. In the pics, you can see the second planter with its own light in the background.  Also, most of the sprouts have straightened up after the addition of the foil.  We were rotating them every few hours so that they would bend as much, but now that the foil is there, they are mostly shooting straight up.

My next question is, how do you decide which ones to keep?  We planted between two and four seeds per slot (depending on the plant) and now, in some cases we have three sprouts in the same slot.  How do you transplant/move them? Or do you just pick the strongest looking ones and pull the others?

Thanks again for all the help.

JimP:
Re: composting meat

I can tell you that if you plant enough rabbits 1 foot deep, your peas will grow much better.  You don't even have to plant the peas anywhere near the buried bunnies.  Just plant a bunny anytime you see one in the neighborhood.  ;D

re: suare foot gardening

Keep in mind that some plants get very tall and will shade others, and most vegetables do poorly in the shade.

One solution is to plant stuff that will get very tall eventually (corn, trellised cukes, etc) to the south of stuff that will be done before they get tall - peas, radishes, leaf lettuce, etc.

Peppers stop setting fruit (blooms fall off) when night temps exceed 80 degrees, and heat stress more readily than other stuff, IME ..... planting tall stuff to the west of them can keep them cooler in the late afternoon .... so can spritzing them with water when it's really hot (evaporative cooling).

Hope that helps...

Neeco:
On another forum, they are saying that my plants are awful "leggy" meaning they are too tall and are "reaching" for the light, which is a sign of not enough light.  What are solutions for this?

JimP:
More light.

Sunlight is best.

"Leggy" plants need extra care when transplanting outside .... you might want to make a cold box to "harden" them first .... I have materials (a couple of old windows and scrap wood) if you want them.

I really need to get off my butt and make one for myself.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20417543,00.html

Neeco:

--- Quote from: JimP on March 25, 2013, 02:32:17 PM ---More light.

Sunlight is best.

"Leggy" plants need extra care when transplanting outside .... you might want to make a cold box to "harden" them first .... I have materials (a couple of old windows and scrap wood) if you want them.

I really need to get off my butt and make one for myself.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,20417543,00.html

--- End quote ---

I got a great idea from another forum, prepared society, for a lighting fix.  And will be moving the setup to my garage (50-60 degrees all day, for now at least) hopefully that gets the hardened.  I am also debating on potting them up into dixie cups to weed out the week and give each its own space.  Currently we have as many as 4 seedling per slot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version