< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Flat Broke, Nada, Zilch, Busted, But I Have This....  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
Flat Broke, Nada, Zilch, Busted, But I Have This....
« on: March 01, 2013, 04:07:22 PM »
....My boat slip for another year!

I slip my 32' sailboat at Branched Oak Lake Marina. 

Try to get out once a week, weather permitting, and sail a couple hours.  I love it, my wife hates it if the wind is blowing. lol

Any Lincoln folks that want to experience sailing (when the wind is blowing), crew space is always available.

(shuttle space available if you want a lift to the lake) 

This is Sugar Bee, the boat is named after him, so he is always in charge of operations. His little brother, Clipper Marine, also boat inspired name, will be sailing for the first time this year.

When the Second Amendment crumbles, I will be on the boat, headed south.  No place special in mind, just anywhere without the fond memories of freedom, lost.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Flat Broke, Nada, Zilch, Busted, But I Have This....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »
Would Sugar Bee be a Bichon Frise?  Or *****in frizzy as I used to refer mine. :laugh:

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:42:49 PM »
Would Sugar Bee be a Bichon Frise?  Or *****in frizzy as I used to refer mine. :laugh:

They are Maltese.  Both reported to be purebreds, but who knows.  Both weigh to much to be show dogs, though that would never interest us anyway.  The breed show standard is 6 pounds or less, the breed standard is up to 7 pounds, and these guys are 9.  Nothing thin around this household!

Maltese & Bichon are pretty close cousin's, with the Bichon being a little larger, and maybe a little easier to train.  I read the Circus loves Bichon's because they learn tricks so well.

Sugar Bee was a Bass Aquards rescue.  It was me that needed rescued.  The short story was I had a tooth ache that was killing me, and I wanted pampered.  I put an ad in Craigs List wanting a lap dog, and people answered the ad, with a puppy that was not being accepted by his house mates.  At food time, Sugar Bee got picked on was the story.    I wonder if a human in the mix was not real pleasant to SB, because he has that look in his eye sometimes that shows sadness.    I grab him and let him know I love him, and he never has anything to worry about ever again.  We renamed him Sugar Bee, and the sailboat was purchased about a month later, which we named after our Maltese.

I found him a playmate about six months later.  Much harder finding a matching bookend than it was finding the first one.  We gave up on another rescue after several months of trying, and found a breeder in Kansas.

Clipper Marine was 12 weeks old when we got him, and is adorable!  He has never been swatted for anything, so he is pretty spoiled.    He runs about 200mph in all directions at once.  Clipper trying to keep up with his older brother at the park.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:50:44 PM by Gary »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:40:52 PM »
Very cool.  I've always been fascinated by sailing and have even toyed with the idea of buying a small sailboat.  If I lived somewhere close to an ocean I don't think I'd be able to resist.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:06:15 AM »
Very cool.  I've always been fascinated by sailing and have even toyed with the idea of buying a small sailboat.  If I lived somewhere close to an ocean I don't think I'd be able to resist.

A 32 foot sailboat on Branched Oak is like a owning a Great Dane if you live in a small apartment, or putting fifteen stamps on a postcard, but it is fun.  I imported it to Nebraska from LA, CA.   No sailboats that size to speak of here, unless someone did like I did, bring one in.

Mine was the largest on the lake, till I inspired someone to get one, one foot longer than mine!  lol

You are welcome to come along anytime!  It is a lot of fun!

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:23:16 AM by Gary »

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 06:48:33 AM »

He runs about 200mph in all directions at once.

Reminds me of the "Bichon buzz"  Once a day he would take off like a whirling dervish around the house at full throttle.   :laugh:

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 05:35:39 PM »

Reminds me of the "Bichon buzz"  Once a day he would take off like a whirling dervish around the house at full throttle.   :laugh:

One breeder calls that "The Bursts Of Joy"    Maltese do that also. 

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »
Very cool. I used to have a neighbor who loved to spend time on his sail boat. I moved and never got to take him up on the offer of going out, so maybe this summer we could do that.
I have not been to Branched Oaks since I was a very young boy...I remember thats where grandpa took me fishing a few times.

Offline ckspeed

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 10:35:30 PM »
One breeder calls that "The Bursts Of Joy"    Maltese do that also. 

Well, that would explain it.... We've got a "MalPom", but he looks more Maltese than Pom, so I dunno what IT is, but he does the terrorize the house psycho dog thing too.

Nice boat, and BIG! Aren't you "drydocked" out by west O? Seen it there for a while, had my curiosity going as to why that spot. 

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 01:37:24 AM »
My business is there, so sometimes it ends up there for a few days / weeks as I work on it.    It is there now, with a foot of snow on her.  Looks like I got her out from under her cover a bit early!   One sailboat has launched at Branched Oak.  Would make a good picture, shoveling snow off the boat into the lake. 

Well, that would explain it.... We've got a "MalPom", but he looks more Maltese than Pom, so I dunno what IT is, but he does the terrorize the house psycho dog thing too.

Nice boat, and BIG! Aren't you "drydocked" out by west O? Seen it there for a while, had my curiosity going as to why that spot. 

Offline Hank

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 08:08:54 PM »
`Burst of Joy`....ahh, the good ol` days