< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Mayor Suttle Looking to Ban "Assault Weapons"  (Read 5694 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Mayor Suttle Looking to Ban "Assault Weapons"
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2013, 08:25:48 PM »
My problem with his response is he didn't answer the question...  ::)  He has stated before that he IS in favor of the amnesty program.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
Hey Dave, it's  "Gun Owners of America" -  try and get it right next time, OK?  And maybe you could join NFOA? 
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2013, 08:44:47 PM »
My problem with his response is he didn't answer the question...  ::)  He has stated before that he IS in favor of the amnesty program.

Yeah, it's certainly a valid question to ask.  I haven't had a chance to talk to him yet to get the inside skinny.
If you throw the question towards Jean about supporting the banning of additional weapons in Omaha, I suspect you'd get a similar response.

I do think the debate tonight has narrowed the choices more.  Dave and Jean are the only ones at least saying the right things.  Suttle, Ashford, and now Welch are out in the weeds IMHO in regards to the 2A.

I don't dislike Jean, but obviously I'm going to pull for my friend Dave.  I also know first hand that he's very Pro 2A, so that makes it a lot easier for me.  :)

My personal thoughts on the gun buyback is that they're stupid, but if they're not spending tax dollars and not forcing anyone to turn guns in I don't have a huge issue with them.  They're stupid and most certainly do nothing for crime, but they don't infringe on my 2A rights.
USN 91-97, USS Chandler DDG-996

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2013, 08:46:34 PM »
Hey Dave, it's  "Gun Owners of America" -  try and get it right next time, OK?  And maybe you could join NFOA? 

I'll make the recommendation.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2013, 09:23:49 PM »
I had thought it started with Stothert coming out as pro-gun, pro-2A. Now seems like others are jumping up with a quick "me too!" after seeing public reaction. Time will tell the truth hopefully.

As for Nabity's quote on gun amnesty, if it's just a feel-good measure that will have no effect then why throw your support (and potentially my tax dollars) behind it?  Asserting a platform of ineffective governance doesn't impress me much.

Offline XDHusker

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
I had thought it started with Stothert coming out as pro-gun, pro-2A. Now seems like others are jumping up with a quick "me too!" after seeing public reaction. Time will tell the truth hopefully.

As for Nabity's quote on gun amnesty, if it's just a feel-good measure that will have no effect then why throw your support (and potentially my tax dollars) behind it?  Asserting a platform of ineffective governance doesn't impress me much.

The cool part is we all get to decide who we vote for based on many issues. 
I'm supporting Dave for a lot of reasons, but I also feel his stance on the 2A both publicly and privately is the strongest in the group. I'll happily take Dave saying a statement about gun amnesty in the past (assuming he did) than candidates who currently say they want more gun control in Omaha (Suttle, Welch, Ashford) or one that said she wanted more gun control in the past (Stothert).

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2013, 11:06:05 AM »
Would Iowa be pissed if somehow the Muddy Mo got diverted down 480/680/80?  Wouldn't the loss of Omaha's politicians make Nebraska a much better place to live? 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline GunFun

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2013, 11:22:56 PM »
I would really appreciate if we could come up with some ideas for a REAL Call to Action in Omaha, to ensure that Suttle will not be re-elected.
Law-abiding citizens all over the world would appreciate these two-faced politician types being imprisoned for lying to the people they are supposed to "govern".

Wasn't Jim Suttle required to take an Oath of Office?

"I, _____, solemnly swear that I will support the Constitution of the United States, the Constitution of the State of Nebraska, and the Charter of the City of Omaha and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office of  mayor of the City of Omaha to the best of my ability. "

I didn't see him swear to personally it but I would LOVE to get a link to the video, if anyone has one.

I think these gun grabbing idiots that break their oaths need to serve no less than their elected term in Federal prison for breaking their Oath of Office.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:28:20 PM by GunFun »

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »
At GunFun:

I couldn't agree more!  Its time to start charging, prosecuting, & punishing these politicians.

Crimes:

Lying after swearing an Oath,  Attempts to dismantle the Constitution, Attempts to dismantle the Bill of rights, Treason, & put him on the Mendacious Persons list. 

They should also be put on a criminal-political registry & banned from ever working in any govt., local, or municipal position again.
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
 Headline:

ASSAULT WEAPON OWNERS LOOK TO BAN MAYOR SUTTLE
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »
Hey everybody, lets use the official Obama government term for our rifles, they are "personal defense rifles" not "assault" rifles...

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
Headline:

ASSAULT WEAPON OWNERS LOOK TO BAN MAYOR SUTTLE

Love it  :kiss:

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
How do these guys get elected?  I live in Lincoln, and the mayor here, Beutler, almost makes Feinstein look like a patriot by comparison.  I don't think a high proportion of voters vote in local elections.  We should look into playing a more active role in them.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2013, 11:02:44 AM »
The term assault weapon is a slogan and a lie.  An accurate term for what anti-gun bigots are trying to outlaw using that slogan is 20th Century arms.  This is because self feeding characterizes 20th Century firearms designs, and it is their status as arms that is under attack.  If the attack is successful (which is very unlikely), commoners like us will only be allowed to have pre-20th Century designs: bolt, lever, and pump action, revolvers, single shot, and of course the famous Joe Biden double barrel. 

The enemy of freedom uses slogans as powerful weapons of political war.  We should counter this weapon with the truth.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2013, 11:36:28 AM »
At depserv:

You are absolutely right.  "Assault weapon" is nothing more than a term used for propaganda.

I prefer the term "modern rifle."

;D  ;D  ;D

Our domestic enemies will continue to use lies - I will use the truth.

"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
Two things:

I thought, historically, the term “assault rifle” was a correct term to distinguish from the prior generation of “battle rifles”.  I thought battle rifles like the M1 and M1A were generally longer, heavier and more powerful, and they still actively fill a tactical niche today.  Weren't assault rifles designed to keep up with the (Commie) Jones’s AK-47 and provide a lighter, shorter, lower-power select-fire rifle for up-close skirmishes and assaults?  I can’t provide a citation right now but thought I’d seen that on History Channel, etc.  I might certainly be wrong, and please correct me if I am.

The main point is: yeah, the anti-gun folks commandeered and misconstrued the term when applied to semi-auto-only rifles and, frankly speaking, did so rather effectively.  The NRA is better at marketing and branding than the Brady Bunch 99% of the time, but the BB beat the NRA to the punch in attaching the moniker assault rifle to civilian, non-select-fire rifles.  I’m afraid talking ‘till one is blue in the face about the historical inaccuracy of the term “assault weapons” as pertains to civilian guns is a fruitless endeavor.  It's a fine academic discussion but, politically speaking, that ship has sailed.

There’s an old politics quote attributed to Ronald Reagan…  “If you’re explaining, you’re losing”.

To that end, here's my second point…  Is it just me, or are gun-rights groups missing out on an excellent opportunity to commandeer the (accurate) term "Personal Defense Weapon"? As posted here earlier, a federal contract request recently used the term PDW.  Now I don’t want to turn this into a discussion about whether select-fire rifles are needed for immigration raids, drug and other customs busts, busting up trafficking-in-persons smuggling rings, or anything else that might result in a firefight.  I am simply intrigued by the PDW term.

I actually think it’s a very accurate term, and gun rights groups have been handed a public image “branding” gift on a silver platter here.  PDW actually describes the attributes of AR-style rifles (select-fire or semi-auto only) appropriately; they are optimally suited for personal defense.  The fact that this is an officially-endorsed term adds to the credibility and bona fides of the PDW term.  If PDWs are suitable to provide “personal defense” to law enforcement from the baddies of the world, they are suitable to protect the rest of us from the baddies, too.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:58:45 AM by feralcatkillr »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »
Personal Defense Weapon sounds too much like a euphemism, and it's technically incorrect, since any weapon might be used for personal or community defense, including a revolver or the Biden double barrel; it doesn't refer to a more or less specific type, but to weapons in general.  Even a knife could be a personal defense weapon.  The terms 20th Century arms or modern arms are accurate and descriptive, and can not be called euphemisms even by the most heavily indoctrinated liberal sheep, but they still counter the assault weapon lie..

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2013, 12:14:31 PM »
At depserv:

You are absolutely right.  "Assault weapon" is nothing more than a term used for propaganda.

I prefer the term "modern rifle."

;D  ;D  ;D

Our domestic enemies will continue to use lies - I will use the truth.

Your term is as good as mine, and probably less cumbersome.  Either one will counter the lie without looking like a euphemism.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »
I believe Hitler's engineers designed the first assault rifle under the guise that it was another sub machine gun. Hitler liked it so much that he christened it the Stermgewehr 44 (assault rifle).

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »
Personal Defense Weapon sounds too much like a euphemism, and it's technically incorrect, since any weapon might be used for personal or community defense, including a revolver or the Biden double barrel; it doesn't refer to a more or less specific type, but to weapons in general.  Even a knife could be a personal defense weapon.  The terms 20th Century arms or modern arms are accurate and descriptive, and can not be called euphemisms even by the most heavily indoctrinated liberal sheep, but they still counter the assault weapon lie..
I like the idea of using PDW. As politicians have proven time and again, it doesn't really matter what the truth or definition is. Let's take it and use it to control the language for whatever purpose or reason we want.