< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Mayor Suttle Looking to Ban "Assault Weapons"  (Read 5697 times)

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Mayor Suttle Looking to Ban "Assault Weapons"
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2013, 02:39:59 PM »
The origin of the name "assault rife" is none other than Adolf Hitler!
From Wikipedia:
The term assault rifle is a translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally "storm rifle", "storm" as in "military attack"). The name was coined by Adolf Hitler as a new name for the Maschinenpistole 43, subsequently known as the Sturmgewehr 44, the firearm generally considered the first assault rifle that served to popularize the concept and form the basis for today's modern assault rifles.

Military assault rifles have the ability to fire in either short bursts or continuously on  one pull  of the trigger until the magazine is exhausted.   Civilian rifles are based on the design of an assault rifle but which can  only fire one shot for each pull of the trigger are essentially sporting rifles.  A military  would never use them to assault a position defended by people who have assault rifles with automatic fire capability.

My experience with the AR-15s and similar assault  rifles carried by our Highway Patrol and swat teams is that  they have settings for single shot, 3 shots and continuous fire.  In one incident I investigated the swat team had their AR's on the 3 shot setting.   Continuous bursts can result in the waste of a lot of ammo if the rifle isn't held under tight control to minimize barrel climb on successive rounds.  Even then, expecting all the rounds to hit lethal zones on a man size target is expecting a lot.  It would take a LOT of practice and development of a particular set of muscles to achieve that kind of accuracy.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »
I believe Hitler's engineers designed the first assault rifle under the guise that it was another sub machine gun. Hitler liked it so much that he christened it the Stermgewehr 44 (assault rifle).

Correct!  The Nazis applied the term to a select fire carbine the Sturmgewehr44.  Soooo...perhaps we could say that term would only be used by.... :o NAZIS!!! :o

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2013, 02:19:33 PM »
From the Jean Stothert for Mayor team
this is from an E-mail i sent her simply asking

What are your thoughts on Guns
----
Jean is a strong supporter of our Second Amendment Rights and a member of the NRA. When Jim Suttle announced he intended to push an AWB Jean was a vocal opponent appearing on numerous TV and radio interviews.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any more, do not hesitate to forward them.

Rod Edwards
Jean Stothert for Mayor
----

thats what I've got from her so far
I'm going to ask about gun registration now.

Answer:
She voted against it when the ordinance came before the council.
She is a member of the NRA and a strong supporter of our Second Amendment Rights.

Rod Edwards
Jean Stothert for Omaha

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:55:55 PM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »
I'd like to see him DEFINE what an "assault weapon" is before the election.  That would put a crimp in his chances real quick.  Thank god I dont live there!

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX