< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Rem 870 Barrel and choke tube split  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
Rem 870 Barrel and choke tube split
« on: March 12, 2013, 04:50:34 PM »
Has anyone ever had this happen? The barrel has about a 1/4" split starting at the muzzle. The Choke tube is split the whole length. The gun is not even a year old, but the choke has seen thousands of rounds put through it. It is my work gun, I am a Wildlife Biologist that uses the gun almost everyday. The choke tube is a full choke and is listed for steel and lead, but like I said it has seen thousands of rounds. If the tube gave out would that also crack the barrel?

Thanks

Galen
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Rem 870 Barrel and choke tube split
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 04:57:57 PM »
I've never seen it happen...PM inbound.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:00:35 PM by gsd »
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »
Ram.......

You now have a Wall Hanger, at least temporarily.   It's in NO SHOOT condition right now.

If you love the gun, you can readily buy another choked barrel for it.

But........better have your favorite competent gunsmith look it over.   In case the action has taken any kind of hit from heavy loads, whatever.

Speculation from this far away would be fun, but it really takes a physical look at the damage to start the inquest as to what actually has gone wrong.    Could be lotsa things.

>>>>>Gunsmith<<<<<<<

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:13:03 PM »
SFG, I got your PM thanks for the offer, The gun is actually owned by the USDA that I use at work, I have a call into Remington and since it is less than a year old I hope they will replace it. I am wondering if it doesn't have something to do with the choke tube. The tube was out of my old work 870 that I wore out, but never thought that it would wear out the tube especially since that barrel is still usable, but the choke probably takes more of the beating.

Thanks again.
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »
May I ask, what exactly are you shooting thru that thing?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 05:41:52 PM »
The gun is chambered for 31/2 in shells. I mainly shoot 3" steel, 3 1/2" steel is just a little too brutal to shoot very many at once. I will also shoot 2 3/4". As I said the choke tube has been around for a while 6 or 7 years of use. It is a Remington Full Steel or lead choke tube.

With regards to my last post the thanks to the PM should have went to GSD and not SFG. I guess those 31/2 inchers have rattled my brain too much.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 08:04:08 PM »
I am surprised that the choke is listed for both. Large steel pellets have been known to "bridge" and take out a choke tube if the inner skirt of the choke tube gets beat up. If the lip  protrudes into the bore, it will spit out the tube and take the end of the barrel with it
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 08:31:01 PM »
Dan,  The type of choke was the first thing I checked when I got home today. I have two full chokes and one is listed for lead only and this one is listed for both. Hopefully someone from Remington will get back with me tomorrow and I will check with them to make sure these chokes are safe to use. I have used this choke for years with 3" and 2 3/4" shells. Maybe it has something to do with shooting 3 1/2" shells. Thankfully I caught it before it got worse, not sure what would have happened if I hadn't found it. If I can find out more information i will pass it along.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 08:55:34 PM »
I think my Browning chokes say steel full is a modified for lead
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:59:20 PM »
Update,

I had been emailing one point of contact I had at Remington and had sent him pictures of the barrel and choke. I got an email back from him today saying that the barrel is under warranty and to ship it to them and they will send me a new one. Since I had also left a phone message, i recently received a return call from them. In speaking with the gentleman on the phone he agreed that if the choke cracked that would also crack the barrel.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 09:15:09 PM »
More importantly do tell us what you are shooting at so much at this ultimate cool man job...

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 10:12:41 PM »
Well Bullit, I have to be a little careful of what I say about my job on the internet. We have gotten some pretty bad press lately. But What I can say is that I work as a Wildlife Biologist for a Federal Govt Agency. Essentailly I work to prevent bird air craft collisions. In fact my avitar picture is of me during a four month stint I did for my Agency in Iraq assigned to the AIr Force. I hope this gives some idea of what I am shooting at. Sorry to sound so secretive just being careful.

Galen

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 10:23:02 PM »
Super-Secret ABA (Anti Bird Artillery) :P   It is good to hear Remington is standing behind there product

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 10:51:40 PM »
Well Bullit, I have to be a little careful of what I say about my job on the internet. We have gotten some pretty bad press lately. But What I can say is that I work as a Wildlife Biologist for a Federal Govt Agency. Essentailly I work to prevent bird air craft collisions. In fact my avitar picture is of me during a four month stint I did for my Agency in Iraq assigned to the AIr Force. I hope this gives some idea of what I am shooting at. Sorry to sound so secretive just being careful.

Galen

omg I want that job. I'll bring my own gear, ammo, and will do it for free.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 08:19:57 AM »
omg I want that job. I'll bring my own gear, ammo, and will do it for free.

Haha, you haven't even heard about the suppressed 10/22 they get to use occasionally.

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 09:43:40 AM »
I worked on one of your trucks a while back.  You have no idea how long it took me to figure out what the hell the scuba tank was for  ;D

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 10:11:10 AM »
gsd- Mine is actually a suppressed .223 bolt-action. Wish I had one in .22 cal sometimes.

Ivars- Yes those are for our air/pellet rifles.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »
An update on the Barrel: It has taken a little while to get through this since everything was being done via email, but I sent the barrel and choke back to Remington per their request. The new barrel showed up last week and they even threw in a new Full choke along with the standard modified.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
Good on them! I'm glad they treated you right.